Herping in Myanmmar/ Burma

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

VinceAdam2015

Herping in Myanmmar/ Burma

Post by VinceAdam2015 »

I'm wondering if anyone has herp in Myanmmar before? If YES, which area(s) would you recommend? I am heading to Yangoon soon. Thanks in advance
intermedius

Re: Herping in Myanmmar/ Burma

Post by intermedius »

Hi Vince,

I have never been, but have a grasp of recent literature published on the country. The guide by Leviton et al. "Dangerously Venomous Snakes of Myanmar" is the best field guide for the vipers and elapids despite its age. Link below.

https://repository.si.edu/bitstream/han ... sAllowed=y

There isn't much in the way of official guides on herping there, although there are ecotours (usually for birds). Most of the herpetological work published from the country was done during British colonization in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. A couple papers, usually focused on individual genera, have been published based on expeditions that occurred in the late 90's and 2000's. Seems like a popular spot for birds and herps is the Moyingyi Wetland region in the Bago Division. A lot of bird tours visit the place, and there is an article published addressing the aquatic snake diversity in the area.

Anything you find there should be pretty cool given the lack of surveys the country has received over the past few years. I'd be happy to help with any identifications or if you'd like any literature for specific genera.

– Justin
VinceAdam2015

Post by VinceAdam2015 »

Thanks in advance, I will update if I get to herp there. It all depends on my local non-herper friends if they are up to some adventure
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

My family is from Burma. Is there a specific area that you have in mind? I haven’t been back since I was a child, but my parents have pictures of me with tons of frogs, lizards and the few snakes they deemed “ok” for me to catch. I still have family in Yangon and I can ask about decent areas to Herp. My Burmese is rusty these days but man, I loved it there.
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Ps: make sure you eat lots of food. Best southeast Asian food imo. And don’t miss the water festival if you are going to be there at that time. So fun.
VinceAdam2015

Post by VinceAdam2015 »

Yangon to be specific but don't mind travelling some distance
VinceAdam2015

Post by VinceAdam2015 »

intermedius wrote:Hi Vince,

I have never been, but have a grasp of recent literature published on the country. The guide by Leviton et al. "Dangerously Venomous Snakes of Myanmar" is the best field guide for the vipers and elapids despite its age. Link below.

https://repository.si.edu/bitstream/han ... sAllowed=y

There isn't much in the way of official guides on herping there, although there are ecotours (usually for birds). Most of the herpetological work published from the country was done during British colonization in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. A couple papers, usually focused on individual genera, have been published based on expeditions that occurred in the late 90's and 2000's. Seems like a popular spot for birds and herps is the Moyingyi Wetland region in the Bago Division. A lot of bird tours visit the place, and there is an article published addressing the aquatic snake diversity in the area.

Anything you find there should be pretty cool given the lack of surveys the country has received over the past few years. I'd be happy to help with any identifications or if you'd like any literature for specific genera.

– Justin
Thank you so much
VinceAdam2015

Post by VinceAdam2015 »

Zach_Lim wrote:My family is from Burma. Is there a specific area that you have in mind? I haven’t been back since I was a child, but my parents have pictures of me with tons of frogs, lizards and the few snakes they deemed “ok” for me to catch. I still have family in Yangon and I can ask about decent areas to Herp. My Burmese is rusty these days but man, I loved it there.
Zach, I will be putting up at Yangon. But dont mind traveling a bit
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

Any concerns with safety in Myannmar? It seems like a very unstable and dangerous place right now.
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Re: Safety

My parents are there right now and they said everything seems to be fine? Granted, they are natives and speak the language, so who really knows? Political turmoil has always been an issue there and it still is (especially now along the borders involving other ethnic minorities). Generally speaking, if you keep to the major urbanized areas, you will be fine. Majority of people speak some English there due to past British rule, so it should be fine getting a feel of the place.
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Hlawga Wildlife Park, from what I am told, is a very popular, tourist wildlife park that offers guided birding tours. I would imagine that these guides could easily bring someone to where there are herps?

If I recall correctly, smaller herps such as house geckos, countless frogs, turtles, etc were just kind of "around" in Yangon. I remember seeing beautiful fish just living in the sewer drains, as well as different frog species.