Treasures of Taiwan 2017. Part 1

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

VinceAdam2015

Treasures of Taiwan 2017. Part 1

Post by VinceAdam2015 »

In June this year, I engaged in one of my most fruitful and adventurous herping trip outside my home country@ Malaysia. It was a working trip yet whenever possible I squeezed in a night or two of herping sessions when my students are busy enjoying their shoppings and other activities. That been said, I managed to herp for 4 nights during the entire 8 days in Taiwan, roughly 3-4 hours each night except for my last day in Taiwan whereby I herp like the entire day with the help of local herpers and friends. To sum it up, we managed to pull-in more than 100 snakes during my stay there. I don't think any other country could match this record (unless if we are talking about truck load of garter snakes during breeding season)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
numpty

Re: Treasures of Taiwan 2017. Part 1

Post by numpty »

A hundred snakes in four days? It takes me several months to spot that many.

Others might contend that T. stejnegeri is the most common species, rather than C. major. I probably see more D. rufozonatum than anything else, but that's hardly a scientific observation.

That DOR false viper must have been pretty fresh. The road casualties can be quite heart-breaking.