Im so jealous of all you guys finding 'shovelnose" !!!!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

**HavasuBassMaster**

Im so jealous of all you guys finding 'shovelnose" !!!!

Post by **HavasuBassMaster** »

I have been cruising my butt off trying to find them..I have found 1 live one so far...between rosy boas and shovel nose being my two favorites..In the last ten years this is the first live shovelnose ive found, I used to see them quite alot, Now that i wanna find them im just not...especialy when i see some of your posts with seeing more then one live one in a night !!! lucky lucky....I know two locals where I know they are,Ive found alot of dors even found a beautiful one with alot of red last week..but not such good luck on live ones...and trust me ive been going every night for hours on end ...
dezertwerx

Re: Im so jealous of all you guys finding 'shovelnose" !!!!

Post by dezertwerx »

I always happen to find what I have been looking for when I am busy looking for something else.

It'll come... good luck out there.
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

Ohh and Im in the same boat with you... I've just found DOR and would love to find a live one.
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

They can be tough to see too sometimes. Try not thinking about your target species while driving and they will suddenly appear on the road. lol Here's one from the other night.
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

Nice pic Ross.... keep rubbing it in. :lol:
monklet

Post by monklet »

They're too tough to see at night so...

...ok, I'm FOS ;-) If it makes anyone feel better. I've only found one DOR this year and that was surprisingly hard to see at 45mph (I had sped up cause it was real slow that night). Maybe I need a new script for my peepers :shock:
ricrabt

Post by ricrabt »

Try driving slowly spotlighting the side of the road in sandy or simi-sandy areas. Remember in Az. it's not legal to spotlight with a non battery light (I think that's how the law is written but don't hold me to it)...John
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

Good to know about non-battery spotlights!
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

dezertwerx wrote:Nice pic Ross.... keep rubbing it in. :lol:
hahaha
Mike Waters

Post by Mike Waters »

Show me a spot light that doesn't operate off a battery.

Nice pics guys. I haven't seen a shovelnose this year either.
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Speaking of Shovel nosed check out this one found last year and posted. Its hard to read the name but the poster was T. Rasch or something like that. If you are out there I hope you don't mind me posting, I'm trying to give you credit. Anyway it has a reduced pattern and was found in Northern LA Co. I believe.

dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

Odd looking shovelnose.... right now, I'd be happy to see a live normal one. haha

Definitely a cool snake though.
**HavasuBassMaster**

well im out of town working this week so Im gonna hit a road that I know has some...Well I know they live there hahaha road probably wont have any for me to see but we'll see....bummer is traffic is a pain on this road so dor's will probably be heavy again as last time....
**HavasuBassMaster**

Ross Padilla wrote:Speaking of Shovel nosed check out this one found last year and posted. Its hard to read the name but the poster was T. Rasch or something like that. If you are out there I hope you don't mind me posting, I'm trying to give you credit. Anyway it has a reduced pattern and was found in Northern LA Co. I believe.

second best ive seen compared to I beleive it was "jeff lemm's" (sp) albino...I would do almost anything for an albino !!!!...ALMOST anything hahaha..
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

Anyone got pics of Jeff Lemm's Albino? Never saw it.... and careful with the "i'd do anything" :lol:
**HavasuBassMaster**

dezertwerx wrote:Anyone got pics of Jeff Lemm's Albino? Never saw it.... and careful with the "i'd do anything" :lol:
i do have apicture but no way or clue on how to post it....
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

I'm glad I took the time to copy some of the best pictures off the old forum before it was deleted. I hope Jeff is cool with me posting these pictures. I'd love to find one of these also.

dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

Wow! :shock:
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

Thanks for posting it Ross.... wow, same here... I'd love to find something like that.

This year... any albino will do...
**HavasuBassMaster**

frickin incredible.>> I would probably have a heart attack...anyone know whats the status of this beauty..
rosy-man

Post by rosy-man »

lol i found 7 or8 of those stupid things last nite on the 78 my krptonite is the leaf-nose only 1 last year and none this year lol
jdustin

Post by jdustin »

The person who found the albino shovel-nose last year needs to repost pics... that thing was AWESOME.
**HavasuBassMaster**

rosy-man wrote:lol i found 7 or8 of those stupid things last nite on the 78 my krptonite is the leaf-nose only 1 last year and none this year lol
now this is funny...Leafnose are like my mainsnake this year, Ive got a super light colored one I found last week ive been seeing 8 a night usualy !!! I'll trade you roads hahaha...I would freak to see 7-8 shovels in a night..Im kinda sick of leafnose ...
ricrabt

Post by ricrabt »

Mike Waters wrote:Show me a spot light that doesn't operate off a battery.

Mike-I know, that's what I said too. I figure they were meaning a car battery is with the Alt., and the hand held off the internal battery. Who knows, maybe it's all against the law...John
**HavasuBassMaster**

ricrabt wrote:
Mike Waters wrote:Show me a spot light that doesn't operate off a battery.

Mike-I know, that's what I said too. I figure they were meaning a car battery is with the Alt., and the hand held off the internal battery. Who knows, maybe it's all against the law...John
It just cant be permantly mounted to vehicle...any hand held is ok I believe... Ive got a 7million cp plug in that is hand held and my cruising buddy is a F&g and he says no prob....
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

In the state of California, reptiles and amphibians "can be taken any time of day or night", and there is no restriction in the F&G regulations that prohibit the use of hand held lights for taking herps, at least none that I have ever read.

BUT - most all State Parks, National Parks, National Monuments, Ecological Preserves, etc., have their own set of regulations, and in many cases (not all) it is illegal to use lights at night to look for any sort of wildlife. Most of the State and National Parks and Preserves publish their regulations on the internet. It's a good idea to do a little research about the area you want to herp in before you venture out, and know about any special restrictions or regulations that may be in effect.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I haven't seen an AOR shovelnose this year either... just DORs... :cry:
For cruisen AZ, use a rechargable spotlight, and if pulled over, pull the plug... :thumb: Am I wicked smaaart, or what... :o :D
BTW... nice pic of you and your boy Mike.... :lol: :lol: :lol: jim
billboard

Post by billboard »

This is a joke, right?

I see 5-10 0f those things every time I go to the desert; I don't even stop for them anymore; leaf nose either.
jdustin

Post by jdustin »

This is a joke, right?

I see 5-10 0f those things every time I go to the desert; I don't even stop for them anymore; leaf nose either.
One man's trash is another man's boa, I guess. :)
monklet

Post by monklet »

billboard wrote:This is a joke, right?

Oh ye borne of silver spoon (San Diego Co.), try the Mojave for some manly herping where you actually have to earn it ;)
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

good one monklet!
**HavasuBassMaster**

tell ya what.. I would be greatfully indebted to you if you wanted to pm me what road :)
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

finally happened....

cruised one last night.... got pretty cold, but was bored and a few fellow herpers were going... so I tagged along and sure enough... found one. Cold too, about 65degrees.
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

Here it is... on a cold (very windy) night. Funny thing is finding this thing after posting about them... and it was on a road I've cruised a bunch of times before.

jonathan

Post by jonathan »

I went two straight years without seeing a leafnose, including 5 trips to Anza-Borrego, 2 trips to the Mojave, and a couple times lookings around the Coachella Valley. Then I found five of them in my most recent trip (6 shovelnose too, though 4 of those were DOR). Sometimes certain snakes are just bad luck for some people.

(My current one is longnose - after cruising one in the Mojave 1.5 years ago, I've cruised 4 DOR's in my last 4 desert trips without turning up another live individual.)

Here's a little shovelnose variety. I'd love to see someone post one of the really orange Nevada shovelnose - those are the coolest looking ones.

Notice this is a nickel:

Imagej

Goodbye!

TandJ

Post by TandJ »

Hey Guys.. I just noticed that the fourm had a slight problemo, however, I am here and I am going to respond too..
Speaking of Shovel nosed check out this one found last year and posted. Its hard to read the name but the poster was T. Rasch or something like that. If you are out there I hope you don't mind me posting, I'm trying to give you credit. Anyway it has a reduced pattern and was found in Northern LA Co. I believe.
Yeah, thats my real name.. I generally go by TandJ in any of the forums.. I didn't mind you posting ym pics, they are water marked for that reason.. Actually, I am rather flattered that someone felt it was worthy to save for their files.. A big thanks..

However, that little Shovelnose was found in the New Berry area of the high desert.. I have found three or four of these little guys this year, I don't think in any of the last four or five years of road crusing the hot desert roads I have not seen one.. I found a a few DOR's this year however.. Unfortunantly, it seems I have found a lot of DORs this year..
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

TandJ wrote:Yeah, thats my real name.. I generally go by TandJ in any of the forums.. I didn't mind you posting ym pics, they are water marked for that reason.. Actually, I am rather flattered that someone felt it was worthy to save for their files.. A big thanks..
Its very cool because you hardly ever see variation in their patterns.

monklet wrote:

Oh ye borne of silver spoon (San Diego Co.), try the Mojave for some manly herping where you actually have to earn it ;)
Aint that the truth. :lol:
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

So only a few days after finding my first Mohave Shovel-Nosed Snake.... found the one I was really interested in seeing!

I understand many of you see them all the time... lucky you, but Damn... was it exciting to see the small banded snake on the road... I knew immediately what it was.

**HavasuBassMaster**

dezertwerx wrote:So only a few days after finding my first Mohave Shovel-Nosed Snake.... found the one I was really interested in seeing!

I understand many of you see them all the time... lucky you, but Damn... was it exciting to see the small banded snake on the road... I knew immediately what it was.

OH MY GOD !!! thats incredible...what county
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

San Diego County
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Very nice shovelnose, dezertwerx.
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

Thanks Ross.... that made the trip for me that night. Now to check something else off the lifer list. Although, I wouldn't mind seeing more of these guys.
dezertwerx

Post by dezertwerx »

Something I forgot to ask... mentioned it to my buddy Zack.

How agressive are these little guys... this guys would not stop biting me or trying to at least. Meanest snake of the night.