Arizona & New Mexico - september 2017

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Thor Hakonsen

Arizona & New Mexico - september 2017

Post by Thor Hakonsen »

28.august to 06.september 2017 was spent in Arizona, and a couple of short trips into New Mexico, with my two friends Are and Tom. Who both are amazing photographers! Our main target for this trip was to see as many rattlesnake species as possible. We had the target of seeing 10 species in total, 1 for each day. Ufortunatly species nr 10 (Tiger rattlesnake) would not come out to play.

A great big thanks for many people for great tips for out trip, without you it would not have been such a success for 3 northerners. Special thanks to Tim and Scott!

My first ever rattlesnake found in the wild was a Crotalus pricei, and the second was C.lepidus. How many can say that ?
image008.jpg
image017.jpg
And here is some of the other animals we encountered on our amazing trip!
image020.jpg
image023.jpg
image025.jpg
image037.jpg
image028.jpg
image026.jpg
image009.jpg
image011.jpg
image029.jpg
image030.jpg
image031.jpg
image033.jpg
image039.jpg
image041.jpg
image036.jpg
image044.jpg
For more pictures from the trip - visist : http://www.wondersofcoldblood.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SidNeilson

Re: Arizona & New Mexico - september 2017

Post by SidNeilson »

Heloderma are on my lifelist. Gawdarn I envy you.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Sounds and looks like a great trip, Thor!
My first ever rattlesnake found in the wild was a Crotalus pricei, and the second was C.lepidus. How many can say that ?
Very few. Certainly nobody who lives in the SW! The common stuff would virtually prevent that! Ha ha ha. You guys must have made tracks straight up the mountain when you landed, and fast, so your peripheral vision was crap. Ha ha ha. After that, it looks like you got around some, and still had a pretty efficient trip (sometimes it's better to move around a lot, sometimes it's better to hunker down in one area - and it can be hard to know the difference at the time!). Well done. Come back for that tiger, eh? (They bedevil many people, they're a curious, curious critter.)

Hey it looks like you found some stuff (e.g., the box turtle, the montane rattlers, and the Gila) that would interest/be valuable to state wildlife managers there. Do you submit your data to the HERP database or any other such place with some data security but also discoverability? Please consider it, if not.

Cheers
Thor Hakonsen

Post by Thor Hakonsen »

Jimi wrote:Sounds and looks like a great trip, Thor!
Very few. Certainly nobody who lives in the SW! The common stuff would virtually prevent that! Ha ha ha. You guys must have made tracks straight up the mountain when you landed, and fast, so your peripheral vision was crap. Ha ha ha. After that, it looks like you got around some, and still had a pretty efficient trip (sometimes it's better to move around a lot, sometimes it's better to hunker down in one area - and it can be hard to know the difference at the time!). Well done. Come back for that tiger, eh? (They bedevil many people, they're a curious, curious critter.)

Hey it looks like you found some stuff (e.g., the box turtle, the montane rattlers, and the Gila) that would interest/be valuable to state wildlife managers there. Do you submit your data to the HERP database or any other such place with some data security but also discoverability? Please consider it, if not.

Cheers
A great trip it was!

I will definatly come back for the tiger (and speckled and massasauga) :)

Send me a PM about this database, and I will look into it!
SidNeilson

Post by SidNeilson »

HERP is only for herps of North America. If you're outside of the three countries that make up that continent, you'll need herpmapper or inaturalist for foreign records. Here it is

http://www.naherp.com/
Thor Hakonsen

Post by Thor Hakonsen »

Thanks - I've added some already. Will add some more that might be of interest.