Indigo Days 12/2017

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

technoendo

Indigo Days 12/2017

Post by technoendo »

Some of you may already know about the Orianne Society, a non-profit organization based in Georgia dedicated to the conservation of rare/endangered eastern indigo snakes and other herps. This post is mostly aimed at folks that maybe haven't heard of them yet.

A few years ago I became aware of this organization and I became a member which made me eligible for members-only trips (for about 40 people per trip). With them I've looked for herps in Costa Rica, North Carolina, and I've been to the Orianne Indigo Snake Preserve (OISP) twice. On my first trip to OISP was in July of 2016 and 0 Indigos were found but I hadn't gotten the memo that the winter season can be a more reliable time to find Indigos as they tend to congregate around gopher tortoise burrows. In the video below you can see some highlights from the recent Indigo Days event in South Georgia from December 15th/16th. I am not affiliated with the Orianne Society, but I appreciate this non-profit organization enough to say a few nice words and promote them to other field herpers. I would never have bothered to seek rare/endangered eastern indigo snakes on my own due to the laws that protect them, however being deputized as a volunteer of the Orianne Society provides temporary license which meant I could have grabbed an eastern indigo had I been the first person to find one. This is an ethical way for average herpers to get close to protected wild eastern indigo snakes. We also learned about snake fungal disease and even got a presentation from the person working for the Georgia DNR shaping the policy on eastern indigo snake conservation and were updated on efforts to re-introduce indigos. It was a lot of fun and well worth the cross country flight.

http://www.oriannesociety.org/news/indi ... 2017-recap

http://www.oriannesociety.org/indigo-days

Cheers!