Riverside Co. California flipping the past few days

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Ross Padilla

Riverside Co. California flipping the past few days

Post by Ross Padilla »

Its been some years since I've hit the field like this. Its been a lot of fun. The helleri always remind you to watch your step.

San Diego gopher

Southern Alligator lizard

Side blotched

Juvenile SB Ring neck

Got a nice surprise under this.

Two striped garter, which is pretty uncommon outside the mountains.

Night snake.

Coastal phase California kingsnake.

One day, I broke a personal record. For over 20 years, 3 black headed snakes is the most I've found in one day. The other day, I found 5, including this triple flip, which contained 2 baby tantilla and a baby banded gecko.

Here are the other tantilla and a Banded gecko found that day.

More helleri

One of my coolest finds was a Long nosed snake found under this board. I've only found about 4 Long nosed under AC in over 20 years of herping Riverside Co.

Long nosed

I lifted a board and had a sub adult Red Coachwhip take off into the grass and disappear. I also had a juvenile SD gopher get away from me as well. This one didn't lol

The yellow on this Ca kingsnake was intense.

This must be the year of the tantilla, because I also found more than my previous record of 3 in one day. This day I found 4 tantilla including 2 under one board, which I thought was pretty amazing.

The other two.

Lastly my favorite find of the year. The number one snake on my mind is always CA kingsnakes. This individual was amazing. Luckily I caught the in situ shot as well.

huck

Re: Riverside Co. California flipping the past few days

Post by huck »

Wow those pictures are perfect. The mantilla double flip and the long nose were crazy!
Porter

Post by Porter »

Hell yeah :thumb: great post Ross! Looks like you got a nice cold-blooded welcome back into the field. I miss seeing posts like this... Where you're not just looking at photos of snakes and things, but actually some shots of habitat, AC, flips and in hand shots. More of a field herping post as opposed to photography of field herping.

That gartersnake looks like a beast. Reminded me of my lifer gigas. Coiled up just like that over in the corner and a very unexpected find. Fairly large one too. Even now I rarely flip them. They tend to stick with the holes and just surface into the grasses for warmth. Congrats on the tantilla. (Talk about glowing snakes :lol: ) cool that you included a belly shot. They have one of the coolest looking bellies of all the ca snakes and I never get to see any shots of the bellies. I've still never found one. And that last king looks amazing. What an artistically badass pattern :thumb:

Just a friendly reminder... now that you're getting back into the field, don't forget there's something lurking out there more dangerous than Hellery. Ms. Oak is creeping & seeping. I went out last weekend. Man, she got me from elbow to wrist on both arms, Knuckles and fingers, and where the sun don't shine lol I think that might have something to do with my Dreamcatcher reference over on Nick's post as well :lol: I'm covered in the s*** :cry:
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

huck wrote:Wow those pictures are perfect. The mantilla double flip and the long nose were crazy!
Thanks, Huck!
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Porter wrote:Hell yeah :thumb: great post Ross! Looks like you got a nice cold-blooded welcome back into the field. I miss seeing posts like this... Where you're not just looking at photos of snakes and things, but actually some shots of habitat, AC, flips and in hand shots. More of a field herping post as opposed to photography of field herping.

That gartersnake looks like a beast. Reminded me of my lifer gigas. Coiled up just like that over in the corner and a very unexpected find. Fairly large one too. Even now I rarely flip them. They tend to stick with the holes and just surface into the grasses for warmth. Congrats on the tantilla. (Talk about glowing snakes :lol: ) cool that you included a belly shot. They have one of the coolest looking bellies of all the ca snakes and I never get to see any shots of the bellies. I've still never found one. And that last king looks amazing. What an artistically badass pattern :thumb:

Just a friendly reminder... now that you're getting back into the field, don't forget there's something lurking out there more dangerous than Hellery. Ms. Oak is creeping & seeping. I went out last weekend. Man, she got me from elbow to wrist on both arms, Knuckles and fingers, and where the sun don't shine lol I think that might have something to do with my Dreamcatcher reference over on Nick's post as well :lol: I'm covered in the s*** :cry:
Thanks a lot, Porter. Glad you liked it. I hope I don’t see Ms Oak any time soon. :lol:
mark buck

Post by mark buck »

Posts like this are why I joined this forum...

Awesome stuff :thumb:
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

mark buck wrote:Posts like this are why I joined this forum...

Awesome stuff :thumb:
Thanks Mark.
sjfriend

Post by sjfriend »

Awesome post and pics. Love that King!! Kings are my fav CA snake and never found anything close to that beauty. Never had chance to herp that part of state (used to live by Sacramento) so enjoyed seeing animals I'm still on hunt for.
socalherper

Post by socalherper »

Dude! that King Rocks!
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

sjfriend wrote:Awesome post and pics. Love that King!! Kings are my fav CA snake and never found anything close to that beauty. Never had chance to herp that part of state (used to live by Sacramento) so enjoyed seeing animals I'm still on hunt for.
Thanks a lot! You might enjoy this poster.
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

socalherper wrote:Dude! that King Rocks!
Thanks Tony!
Fire Drake

Post by Fire Drake »

Ross Padilla wrote:
sjfriend wrote:Awesome post and pics. Love that King!! Kings are my fav CA snake and never found anything close to that beauty. Never had chance to herp that part of state (used to live by Sacramento) so enjoyed seeing animals I'm still on hunt for.
While I am not an expert in Latin, isn't that a typo in the title? One of the most...colubrid(s)?
craigb

Post by craigb »

That was a great post !!!
Never seen Thamnophis, or Rhinocheilus, there...
Let alone a cool king like that!

P.S. Much better pics than I take also !!

Great stuff :thumb:
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Fire Drake wrote:
Ross Padilla wrote:
While I am not an expert in Latin, isn't that a typo in the title? One of the most...colubrid(s)?
You might be right. I was debating that one word if it should have an S or not.
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

craigb wrote:That was a great post !!!
Never seen Thamnophis, or Rhinocheilus, there...
Let alone a cool king like that!

P.S. Much better pics than I take also !!

Great stuff :thumb:
haha Thanks Craig! :thumb: