My first post

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jhon the herper

My first post

Post by Jhon the herper »

Hello, my name is Jhon and I'm shifting to America to herp. I have only become a herper recently but I have read a lot and know a lot and I have always loved wildlife and watch them a lot doing things. I have been speaking to my best american friend who is already in America and we wish to start a herping wildlife show on youtube, where we show people how to herp the right way and inform them about the animals. So many people, especially Americans I think, know so little about herpes. I met an American herper at a retreat center and he took me herping and taught me everything he knows. Not my friend my friend doesn't know as much but he is a good guy.

I wanted to share some of my photos that I have taken recently at the center last month where I went herping with my new friend.

This is a Spiny Tailed House Gecko. It is missing part of its spiny tail as a snake has eaten it.

This is a White-spotted Supple Skink. I was able to distinguish it from a Common Spotted Supple Skink because I blew up the photos to their full size and could measure the spots on my computer. I think this spot difference makes the difference for the ID.

This is a spider and he is angry.

This is a stick spider or something. He was too skinny to focus on.

This is a Common Bronzeback Snake which we can identify due to its blue tongue which I compelled it to stick out. It was blue not red. The snake lived in this pipe. I am sure it lived exclusively there because I checked on it 39 times over the course of four days and it was always in the pipe. At first it was very hard to get close but over time I was able to get closer and closer without it ducking back down. I believe that it feeds and breeds and will die in the pipe, probably for generations.

Here is my video of the snake living in the pipe.

This is an Oriental Rat Snake but that name is kind of offensive so I don't say it where I live. I caught it but it bit me so I let it go and so blurriness is snakes fault.

This looked like a cross between a frog and something else so I couldn't identify it. It was almost like a sea monster in the water. Matty told me to mark it as possible new species

This is what I call a False Underground Cobra because I only find it under things (I have heard of the false water cobra so there should be false underground cobra too). My dad said it was a cobra but my herper friend told me it is a Common Wolf Snake. It bit me on the hand and bled a lot, I think biting me gave the snake a crooked mouth, that happens right?

These insects are either in disagreement or the complete opposite but I like the picture because it is symmetrical.

This bat came from Jesus.

This is a water monitor. I caught a monitor and it bit me on the knuckle and took all the skin, this served as food for him. The water was very dirty and the monitor mouth was very dirty so I prayed to not get an infection. But later on the staff there caught him and he served as food for them! haha no but now I feel bad.

This is a Checkered Keelback. This is a very common snake here but this one was very large and I'm sure ferocious so I didn't touch it because I was a bit scared.

This is an owl looking at me.

This time you can see the owl is happy to see me.

This is a cricket frog. We couldn't identify species because some scientists have ruined everything according to my reading.

This is a bunch of birds they are sleeping but one I think he is not sleeping, not sleeping at all.

If you want to see more I have begun to post all the photos on my facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/jhon.damuppet.9
Jhon the herper

Re: My first post

Can someone help me fix the size difference? I don't know why some came out different sizes they are all large on flickr.
DarwinsBulldog

Post by DarwinsBulldog »

"This looked like a cross between a frog and something else so I couldn't identify it. It was almost like a sea monster in the water. Matty told me to mark it as possible new species"

That is likely a mudskipper.
Jhon the herper

DarwinsBulldog wrote:"This looked like a cross between a frog and something else so I couldn't identify it. It was almost like a sea monster in the water. Matty told me to mark it as possible new species"

This is just a retreat center pond though - there is no mud or ocean.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Jhon the herper wrote:
DarwinsBulldog wrote:"This looked like a cross between a frog and something else so I couldn't identify it. It was almost like a sea monster in the water. Matty told me to mark it as possible new species"

Anableps?
Jhon the herper

chris_mcmartin wrote:
Jhon the herper wrote:

Anableps?

I just looked that up and we do not have that they are from latin america. But we have something called Rhinomugil corsula which is like that.

Or maybe the jesuits took anableps from latin america and put it here? Does that happen?
Fire Drake

Post by Fire Drake »

So many people, especially Americans I think, know so little about herpes.
Not a great way to get started especially on your very first post. This is NOT the way to make friends and influence people. If you want to expand on it a little and explain, have at it. Otherwise, I would tread lightly or go home.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I hope us Amuricans can recover from the blow.. :roll:
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Jhon
Can someone help me fix the size difference? I don't know why some came out different sizes they are all large on flickr.
In FLICKR, or in another editor, the easiest way to adjust your pics is to set the width of your pic to about 800 pixels. Set your software automatically to proportionally adjust.

Jhon, though it is obvious from some of your species (like Lygosoma albopunctata) where you are generally, asking for ids and help goes smoother if you declare at least your region of the world (e.g. west central India) early in your post.

Rhinomugil corsula looks very likely. I've seen other members of Mugilidae (Mullets) skim the surface for surface floating nutrients.

chris_mcmartin
Anableps?
Part of the world that Jhon is in notwithstanding, I thought that was a good guess, Chis.

Jhon
Spell check is a good thing, but be careful with the word “herps”.
(Although we may be less informed on “herpes” than folks in India!) :lol: :lol:

Jhon

Brian
Not a great way to get started especially on your very first post. This is NOT the way to make friends and influence people. If you want to expand on it a little and explain, have at it. Otherwise, I would tread lightly or go home.
I’m sure Jhon’s command of English denotation is sound, but he may not yet be proficient in the connotative implications. I doubt if he meant anything offensive.

PS Brian,
Between me and you, I can’t help but chuckle at the irony of an IT guy commenting on politeness. A lifetime career in computers and technology made me believe that you folks just lacked that gene!! :beer:

Kelly, In our neck of the woods, wee'r "Muricans" :lol: :lol:
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

If im ever lucky enough to find my way out of this ridiculous town, I'll remember that Bill!
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

BillMcGighan wrote:J
chris_mcmartin
Anableps?
Part of the world that Jhon is in notwithstanding, I thought that was a good guess, Chis.
Now I feel dumb. That's what I get for going purely off memory, and not having thought about four-eyed fish in a LONG time!
Porter

Post by Porter »

Cool observation! :thumb: there's a certain pipe I'm always checking for Coachwhip because whip snakes tend to climb up onto narrow things like that for basking. I wasn't sure if a snake would actually do that or not but seems logical considering the holes they slither down are mostly the same diameter. Very cool :beer:
Jhon the herper

Thank you for all of your wonderful responses! I am sorry for the mistakes. The pictures were from West Bengal but I am not from there, I have moved around many times to different countries. I am sorry I did not make clear where the pictures were from. I have made it to America now and with my friend Matty we were able to go to a famous herping spot and go looking for herps. It was cold, very cold! So we did not see that much as it was too cold for many things. But we did see some and what we did see was very beautiful.

This is a deer

When I saw a log I looked under the logs for herps. Under the second log, a salamander!!!

some beautiful lizards on the rocks

We looked under some rocks but always put them back. There were some very large rocks that were moved like this, put down but not put back, instead above the hole where it came from. I think it was a person who moved the rock because it was such a big rock. What is the reason for moving the rock and not putting it back the same way?

When we left it was cold but there was a gopher snake on the road, I think there are eggs?

This snake was on the road too but it was dead

And Matty thought that my mistake was funny so we can make a poster for our herping that makes fun of my mistake.

Porter

Post by Porter »

Herps... Herpes... doesn't matter which one you catch, they both result in the exact same thing: 98% women won't come near you with a ten-foot pole :lol:
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

You're funny as hell Porter.

I recently got out of going to a wedding. I really couldnt go. But I would try to go to yours.

And when it happens there are a couple, few, i dunno but thousands of FHF here that will be thumbing you up.

You should get married at one of your mystical spots. Post wedding pics here.

just sayin. Uncle Lady knows these things
Fire Drake

Post by Fire Drake »

Herps... Herpes... doesn't matter which one you catch, they both result in the exact same thing: 98% women won't come near you with a ten-foot pole :lol:
Seriously one of the funniest posts I have ever read...
Fire Drake

Post by Fire Drake »

Between me and you, I can’t help but chuckle at the irony of an IT guy commenting on politeness. A lifetime career in computers and technology made me believe that you folks just lacked that gene!! :beer:
IDK, there could be more truth than fiction in what you've said...

https://youtu.be/dNB_RjpWnsI
Porter

Post by Porter »

Fire Drake wrote:
Seriously one of the funniest posts I have ever read...
I like my women like I like my milk... 2% 8-)
Porter

Post by Porter »

Kelly Mc wrote:You're funny as hell Porter.

I recently got out of going to a wedding. I really couldnt go. But I would try to go to yours.

And when it happens there are a couple, few, i dunno but thousands of FHF here that will be thumbing you up.

You should get married at one of your mystical spots. Post wedding pics here.

just sayin. Uncle Lady knows these things

If I ever get married, you and your wife are definitely coming! :thumb: ...and my wife is going to be wearing a garter-snake belt 8-) :P

This is what my wedding will look like... and if I can figure out some kind of connection excuse between Stephen King and a skink, then I know some of you were already expecting this :lol: I never miss a chance to pass up posting some music or video clip I like:

..or it will be like this. Minus the mass murder spree of course :lol:

...buuuuuuuutttt, it will probably be a little more like this :lol: