Ecuador Trip (Reposted)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

JW35

Ecuador Trip (Reposted)

Post by JW35 »

Hello everyone, This is officially my first post on the forum. Im 20 years old and have been herping for about 4-5 years now. Im from central Pennsylvania and am quite quiet in the herp community having a very small fan base on my instagram. The reason I am posting is because I recently took a 3 week long trip to Ecuador to go herping and birding. Among my travels, I came across quite a few species that I wasn't able to identify. I was hoping somebody could help identifying some of the species I have found. Pictures are listed below, there was 5 frog species and 2 snake species. Any help would be greatly appreciated. All herp species were found near the Tena (border of Amazon) Eastern area of Ecuador

Frog Number One :
rsz_1rsz_img_1938.jpg
rsz_img_1940.jpg
Frog Number Two :
rsz_img_1806.jpg
\
rsz_img_1804.jpg
Frog Number Three :
rsz_img_1782.jpg
rsz_img_1785.jpg
rsz_img_1784.jpg
Frog Number Four :
rsz_img_1787.jpg
Frog Number Five :
rsz_img_1698.jpg
Snake Number One :
rsz_img_1701.jpg
rsz_img_1705.jpg
rsz_img_1708.jpg
(This snake was most likely some sort of water snake judging by it's bands and we did find it in a nearby pond, however our tour guide said that it was a venomous species, but I don't think it is. I kept my distance just to be safe)

Snake Number Two :
rsz_img_1801.jpg
rsz_img_1793.jpg
rsz_img_1796.jpg
(Found DOR)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul Freed

Re: Ecuador Trip (Reposted)

Post by Paul Freed »

Hi JW, thank you for your first official post! It seems that all of your photos have gone through some sort of weird compression, resulting in an elongate appearance of the subjects. That is making identification of some of the subjects a bit difficult.

That said, the first frog in your post is a Giant Gladiator Treefrog, (known by other common names, such as a Rusty Treefrog), Boana boans. Frog image number 3, is the highly variable, Triangle Tree Frog, Dendropsophus triangulum.

Frog #4 appears to be a Painted Antnest Frog, Lithodytes lineatus, although it's difficult to see the frog clearly.

Snake #1 is a Mountain Keelback, Helicops angulatus, and snake #2 is a Northern Cat-eyed Snake, Leptodeira septentrionalis.

There are some additional herps in your original post that didn't make it into this revised post but I will take a look and see what you have there. Hope you had a nice time in Ecuador and that you continue to share your herping experience here on FHF.

Best,

Paul
DanW

Post by DanW »

Frog 1: Boana boans, Gladiator Treefrog

Frog 3: Dendropsophus, hard to tell probably triangulum. There are several species around Tena and all are quite variable.

Frog 4: Leptodactylus lineatus

Frog 5: Phyllomedusa, maybe tarsius

Snake 1: Helicops angulatus, Brown-banded Watersnake

Snake 2: Leptodiera annulata, Cat-eyed Snake

Dan
JW35

Post by JW35 »

Paul Freed wrote:Hi JW, thank you for your first official post! It seems that all of your photos have gone through some sort of weird compression, resulting in an elongate appearance of the subjects. That is making identification of some of the subjects a bit difficult.

That said, the first frog in your post is a Giant Gladiator Treefrog, (known by other common names, such as a Rusty Treefrog), Boana boans. Frog image number 3, is the highly variable, Triangle Tree Frog, Dendropsophus triangulum.

Frog #4 appears to be a Painted Antnest Frog, Lithodytes lineatus, although it's difficult to see the frog clearly.

Snake #1 is a Mountain Keelback, Helicops angulatus, and snake #2 is a Northern Cat-eyed Snake, Leptodeira septentrionalis.

There are some additional herps in your original post that didn't make it into this revised post but I will take a look and see what you have there. Hope you had a nice time in Ecuador and that you continue to share your herping experience here on FHF.

Best,

Paul
hmm, that is weird, I had to use a program to resize all the images to proper sizes, so that maybe why. I will try to fix that in future posts. Thank you again for helping with the identifications it helped alot and i appreciate it!
JW35

Post by JW35 »

DanW wrote:Frog 1: Boana boans, Gladiator Treefrog

Frog 3: Dendropsophus, hard to tell probably triangulum. There are several species around Tena and all are quite variable.

Frog 4: Leptodactylus lineatus

Frog 5: Phyllomedusa, maybe tarsius

Snake 1: Helicops angulatus, Brown-banded Watersnake

Snake 2: Leptodiera annulata, Cat-eyed Snake

Dan
Thank you very much this helped alot!