Banded Krait in Hong Kong

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Hongkongsnakeid

Banded Krait in Hong Kong

Post by Hongkongsnakeid »

I included some shots of a Burmese found last week in my last post. Within two days I got lucky and came across this Banded Krait, Bungarus fasciatus on a conduit walk. A very cool snake and a lifer for me.

These snakes are generally pretty docile and slow moving but can be quite spastic in their movement when defensive and will strike from any direction with no leading indication. Given their highly potent venom this makes them a bit tricky to interact with. Nevertheless we were able to get in a great photo shoot and highlight some good angles and defensive tactics of the snake. My favorite is their little nubby tail that they use as a decoy 'head' whilst tucking their actual head under their body. Hope you enjoy the pics and if you want to see more or a video of this guy going a bit spastic check out the Bungarus fasciatus page on http://www.hongkongsnakeid.com .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeroen Speybroeck

Re: Banded Krait in Hong Kong

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »

Epic species, thanks!
Hongkongsnakeid

Thanks! Lots more to come!
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Awesome. I've only seen the many banded krait in HK.
Hongkongsnakeid

Thanks!

Yeah, the Banded Kraits are a great find but not that common here in HK. Watched your last HK vid on YouTube, love those Greater Greens! Just found a big fat Chinese Cobra yesterday probably not too far from some of your stomping grounds.

Check out the site (http://www.hongkongsnakeid.com) next time you're coming into town and feel free to drop me a line if you wanna do some Herping!