Baby rattlesnakes basking at their den (Video)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

OkanaganSFLT

Baby rattlesnakes basking at their den (Video)

Post by OkanaganSFLT »

After lots of searching I finally came across a rattlesnake den site and observed some brand new babies near the entrance. Upon the initial discovery three snakes were observed at the entrance, and when returning 30 mins later two additional individuals were also seen. This video features the only two snakes that stuck around to be filmed, and a few other finds this fall.

Jimi

Re: Baby rattlesnakes basking at thier den (Video)

Post by Jimi »

Wow that sure looks like a lot of the country around here. Exactly like it. Good on ya for working through this puzzle. Feels good, eh?

Now that you've found it you may find yourself wanting to re-visit at different times, to see how it gets used. Just take care not to scare the animals around their den, whether spring summer or fall. It's worth staying way back, and using optics to look closely. (It might also be worth your while to look into the legality of disturbing wildlife at den or nest sites - many places it's explicitly discussed, in a prohibitory sort of way.) When I accidentally find myself in the middle of a pile of snakes, I find it best to back off quietly, quickly. If they start buzzing or moving, I've totally screwed up. Makes me feel like crap - they're out there trying to survive, while I'm just gratifying myself.

Finally, the BC wildlife agency or the landowner might very well have an interest in the location of dens. Many agencies around N America have some authority to try and steer development (whether permanent, intermittent, or ephemeral) away from such essential habitat features, whether they own the land or not. Could be worth asking around. You want a downer? Try a bulldozed, buried, or drowned snake den. That's a downer. If it's mapped, it's got a better chance.

cheers
OkanaganSFLT

Post by OkanaganSFLT »

Jimi wrote:Wow that sure looks like a lot of the country around here. Exactly like it. Good on ya for working through this puzzle. Feels good, eh?
Absolutely! This discovery is the culmination of everything ive been working towards this summer, herping wise. It's location will be a closely guarded secret.

I don't intend to go back often. I really don't want to disturb the snakes more than necessary, especially at such a vulnerable time. For me it's more interesting to know that there is in fact a den there. The lowlands nearby should offer really good herping next spring/summer when the snakes return to their summer foraging grounds.

As for legality, I know that harassing wildlife is illegal, and I will look into if there is any special clause for nesting sites. In any case all I did was film from a distance (with the exception of the close up where I had my phone extended on a stick). Also, I actually only got that close to the den by accident. From where I am filming was where I first noticed the snakes, they are well camouflaged! On my second visit I did what you mention, and looked from afar. But the snakes still saw me and disappeared quickly. They seem to have fairly good vision, better then I would have expected.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

They seem to have fairly good vision, better then I would have expected.
Indeed. That has been my experience also, emphatically.

An interesting test - if you take a look from afar, go away for about just a few minutes, and come back for another look - see if they have moved. I have seen (when I'm too close...) that snakes won't move when I'm watching from an intermediate distance, but as soon as the coast is clear they get out of sight. Of course if I'm really close they will just bolt. But if I stay far enough away, I can disappear for a little bit and come back (or move around out of sight for another sight line), and they haven't moved. That's how I determine whether or not I have bothered them. Over the years performing this little test has caused me to stay further and further back, until now I have a default standoff distance. They are alert and a bit sensitive to disturbance. I sure don't want to cause them any harm, so I have adjusted my own behavior.

Changing gears - I always enjoy delving into the conservation-community infrastructure of a new place. BC is interesting and fairly impressive. A quick search turned up this:

http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/eirs/finishDo ... ntId=10472

You may well have already seen it. Somebody who contributed to this report would like to hear of your den discovery - it may be known already, but it may not.

cheers
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

:thumb: :thumb:
Excellent....

Finding a den first is special. Your not being very intrusive was more so...

Finish was the best.

RESPECT PROTECT PRESERVE
OkanaganSFLT

Post by OkanaganSFLT »

Jimi wrote:An interesting test - if you take a look from afar, go away for about just a few minutes, and come back for another look - see if they have moved. I have seen (when I'm too close...) that snakes won't move when I'm watching from an intermediate distance, but as soon as the coast is clear they get out of sight. Of course if I'm really close they will just bolt. But if I stay far enough away, I can disappear for a little bit and come back (or move around out of sight for another sight line), and they haven't moved. That's how I determine whether or not I have bothered them.
This is really interesting. As the number of snakes I find in the wild continues to increase, it would be interesting to start to try to actually observe their natural behaviors. So far most of the snakes I've found are turned around and running the other way.
Jimi wrote:http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/eirs/finishDo ... ntId=10472

You may well have already seen it. Somebody who contributed to this report would like to hear of your den discovery - it may be known already, but it may not.
When I click on this link it says the page is expired. What was the title of the report? I can probably find it, if I don't have it saved already.
BillMcGighan wrote:
Excellent....

Finding a den first is special. Your not being very intrusive was more so...

Finish was the best.

RESPECT PROTECT PRESERVE
Thanks BillMcGighan! It really was a special day. The first time seeing a den for me.

OkanaganSFLT