What is Herping? Why I do it. - A short Documentary film

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Bavarianherper

What is Herping? Why I do it. - A short Documentary film

Post by Bavarianherper »

My friend Chris who's quite good at making videos made this small documentary style video about me and herping.
A herping friend suggested I should post it here.
Hope everyone enjoys!
Flippin Idiot

Re: What is Herping? Why I do it. - A short Documentary film

Post by Flippin Idiot »

Cool video.
technoendo

Post by technoendo »

I hope this video gets more attention because its so technically/artistically excellent! A great introduction to field herping and what motivates you to do it. I think you guys nailed it and should be proud.

I'd infiltrate and nominate you both for a "Herpie" award from the Academy of Herpetology Motion Arts, but sadly no such award or organization exists! :lol:
Bavarianherper

Post by Bavarianherper »

Flippin Idiot wrote:Cool video.
Thanks man!
technoendo wrote:I hope this video gets more attention because its so technically/artistically excellent! A great introduction to field herping and what motivates you to do it. I think you guys nailed it and should be proud.

I'd infiltrate and nominate you both for a "Herpie" award from the Academy of Herpetology Motion Arts, but sadly no such award or organization exists! :lol:
Thanks Ian! Really happy you enjoy it so much.
So far I have only had positive feedback about it so I hope it stays that way.
Fire Drake

Post by Fire Drake »

You guys deserve a lot of credit. That was very nicely done--and very tasteful. I enjoyed the fact it was in a foreign land too. It just adds to the universality of what herping is all about.

Thank you for taking the time to film this. You did this hobby right for sure.

Brian
Bavarianherper

Post by Bavarianherper »

Fire Drake wrote:You guys deserve a lot of credit. That was very nicely done--and very tasteful. I enjoyed the fact it was in a foreign land too. It just adds to the universality of what herping is all about.

Brian
Thank you Brian!
I really hope it gets used as a tool to show non herpers what herping is and maybe even get some of them involved.

Cheers
Fred
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

That was really well done. Lots of familiar, even universal themes & feelings & instincts & skills.

Do you have asps in Germany? Lucky!!! I didn't realize they went so far east; I think of them as basically a French/Italian critter.

I love a nice asp. Ha ha.

cheers
Bavarianherper

Post by Bavarianherper »

Jimi wrote:That was really well done. Lots of familiar, even universal themes & feelings & instincts & skills.

Do you have asps in Germany? Lucky!!! I didn't realize they went so far east; I think of them as basically a French/Italian critter.

I love a nice asp. Ha ha.

cheers
Thanks Jimi!
Yeah, I was hoping to create that familiar atmosphere that most herpers can relate to.
We do actually have one population but the location is kept very secret.
The asp viper and the dice snakes where found in Switzerland on a one day trip.
They are beautiful animals.

Thanks again
Fred
OkanaganSFLT

Post by OkanaganSFLT »

Wow, really awesome video! This captures the feeling of success and deep satisfaction that one can get from herping.

I really like the part about enjoying/harassing nature. There is a line there, and it's important for people to not cross it and overhandle the snakes. You said it perfectly.
Bavarianherper

Post by Bavarianherper »

OkanaganSFLT wrote:Wow, really awesome video! This captures the feeling of success and deep satisfaction that one can get from herping.

I really like the part about enjoying/harassing nature. There is a line there, and it's important for people to not cross it and overhandle the snakes. You said it perfectly.
Thanks!
Glad you enjoyed it and that we seem to share the same views on herping ethics.

Fred
Burke

Post by Burke »

Just wanted to also chime in, and say this video was excellent.
I've been sharing the YouTube Vid with (non-Herping) friends/family.
Thanks!
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Post by Scott Waters »

Good job. You should be quite proud!
Bavarianherper

Post by Bavarianherper »

Burke wrote:Just wanted to also chime in, and say this video was excellent.
I've been sharing the YouTube Vid with (non-Herping) friends/family.
Thanks!
Thanks man!
Yeah I was trying to word everything so it could also be used as an educational video about herping or even as an introduction into herping for non herpers and friends/family!

Fred
Bavarianherper

Post by Bavarianherper »

Scott Waters wrote:Good job. You should be quite proud!
Thanks so much Scott!
Really hope a lot of people get to appreciate it.

Fred
Porter

Post by Porter »

Cool video! Reminded me of some of the stuff I’ve seen on Viceland that the skateboarders are doing these days. Really liked the use of your artistic angles in this :thumb: Really liked the use of your artistic angles in this :thumb: I also think it’s a good introduction to the hobby. And the pattern on the first ad or was rad :beer:

I’m thinking about getting back into video next year. What kind of camera did you guys use for this? What kind of editing software?
Bavarianherper

Post by Bavarianherper »

Porter wrote:Cool video! Reminded me of some of the stuff I’ve seen on Viceland that the skateboarders are doing these days. Really liked the use of your artistic angles in this :thumb: Really liked the use of your artistic angles in this :thumb: I also think it’s a good introduction to the hobby. And the pattern on the first ad or was rad :beer:

I’m thinking about getting back into video next year. What kind of camera did you guys use for this? What kind of editing software?
Sorry Porter, just saw your comment now. The Camera is a Panasonic GH5 used with the Rode GoMic. Editing software is Adobe Premiere pro.
Thanks man! Yeah I think Chris did a fantastic job on this video. Yeah I wanted it to be something I could show people that ask me what herping is and why I do it.
Porter

Post by Porter »

Bavarianherper wrote:
Porter wrote:Cool video! Reminded me of some of the stuff I’ve seen on Viceland that the skateboarders are doing these days. Really liked the use of your artistic angles in this :thumb: Really liked the use of your artistic angles in this :thumb: I also think it’s a good introduction to the hobby. And the pattern on the first ad or was rad :beer:

Sorry Porter, just saw your comment now. The Camera is a Panasonic GH5 used with the Rode GoMic. Editing software is Adobe Premiere pro.
Thanks man! Yeah I think Chris did a fantastic job on this video. Yeah I wanted it to be something I could show people that ask me what herping is and why I do it.
ThanksFor getting back to me! No worries, time is short these days. I’ll definitely look into that type of camera next year As an option after I get my returns :beer:
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

Fire Drake wrote:You guys deserve a lot of credit. That was very nicely done--and very tasteful. I enjoyed the fact it was in a foreign land too. It just adds to the universality of what herping is all about.

Brian
Well said Brian.

I enjoyed this, you took an event/discipline/fascination that is hard to explain to others, they often "just don't get it" and made it accessible. Further you did it without hyperbole and outrageous overacting/punchy footage. Your music was perfect, set the tone and mood, and is so often a distraction when done by beginning videographers. Well played...Vic
Bavarianherper

Post by Bavarianherper »

VICtort wrote:

Brian
Well said Brian.

I enjoyed this, you took an event/discipline/fascination that is hard to explain to others, they often "just don't get it" and made it accessible. Further you did it without hyperbole and outrageous overacting/punchy footage. Your music was perfect, set the tone and mood, and is so often a distraction when done by beginning videographers. Well played...Vic
Thanks Vic!
Yeah Chris had a rough idea of what he wanted to film and I had a rough idea of the message I wanted to get across.
Really happy the right people seem to enjoy it for the right reasons.
Of course we could have annoyed the animals and get strike footage and such to make it "cool"...
But that's not what we are about.
Chris as a film maker and I as a herper.

Fred
Porter

Post by Porter »

Bavarianherper wrote:
VICtort wrote:

Brian
Well said Brian.

Thanks Vic!
Yeah Chris had a rough idea of what he wanted to film and I had a rough idea of the message I wanted to get across.
Really happy the right people seem to enjoy it for the right reasons.
Of course we could have annoyed the animals and get strike footage and such to make it "cool"...
But that's not what we are about.
Chris as a film maker and I as a herper.

Fred

Back when I entered the form around 2009 I was met with much disapproval and controversy among the newer generations. Although I got a lot of compliments on my photography and use of point-and-shoot cameras to produce very professional artistic quality photography, a lot of people disagreed with my methods of catching rattlesnakes by hand and things I Incorporated into videos. I think this one probably stands out the most because of the end shot of the gopher snake aggressive Lee striking at the camera . I think a lot of people thought I’d taunted this animal to get it to do that. However I was actually trying to release the snake and get footage of a climbing down a hole. This was one pissed off mother and wasn’t having it :lol: This was one pissed off mother and wasn’t having it. So, I just filmed what was going on and use that footage instead. Now, I will admit I thought it was cool as fudge… Especially the way I edited the hissing into the music. First time anybody ever did that especially on this forum. But the reason I thought it was cool was the artistic angle of the snakes body and the counterbalance Displayed in the striking coil’s :thumb: Displayed in the striking coil’s. It’s a beautiful display of the natural behavior of these animals and I have to admit when I get back into video again this following year I’m gonna be incorporating stuff like this again. One thing I do disagree with this footage is that I let the snakebite the camera lens. And I thought later you Musta heard the snakes mouth biting something so hard. But in all honesty this Snake bit me a couple times and want to take my clothes with it, so…… I didn’t feel tooooooooooo bad :lol:

Anyways, I mainly responding to this let you guys know that I do respect and agree with the message you’re putting out in this video. And I want you to remember that when my videos start coming out next year, cause they’re going to be quite a bit different than what everyone’s doing. And I hope that people down misconceive what I’m trying to accomplish or think that my videos are in some kind of Attack against herping world Do you know any sense or form. Because I swear to God brother, it’s not! :beer: Do you know any sense or form. Because I swear to God brother, it’s not

Again you guys did a excellent job on this video and I hope to see more from you guys in the future! :thumb: Again you guys did a excellent job on this video and I hope to see more from you guys in the future! And I see all these double sentences getting added… I’m on the iPhone and for some reason anytime I add an emoji it adds the sentence again right afterwards… I don’t know why but I’m at work and busy and I can’t go back and edit those sentences out so I want you know I’m not messing with you or joking… It’s just a natural thing happening from stupid technology.

Also I’d like to say, water dogs love me 8-)

Porter

Post by Porter »

Stupid-phones....The way of the future, the future :lol: The way of the future, the future

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zj_kdwOSSAc[/youtube]

…Some kind of attack in shape or form*

…Enter the forum*

... Hurt the snakes mouth*

Etc,etc...

Sooooo, yeah :roll: :lol: :crazyeyes: ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :)
8-)
skizer

Post by skizer »

Well done BH!
Bavarianherper

Post by Bavarianherper »

skizer wrote:Well done BH!
Thanks man!
Appreciate it!
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Ive been meaning to say thank you, since I first enjoyed the film.

To me it was a film and it was great. You have such a cool demeanor, wholesome and calm, you let the beauty of what you do lead the way.

I agree with with Vic, the music was so well timed it was like the warmth of the day coming on, or even better, the feeling as one gets to know someone while sharing something wonderful.
Porter

Post by Porter »

OK so let me just clarify something before the confusion of Vague Suggestivness leads us too far off track for it to be bearable for me…

( i’m pressed for time right now but I will correct every edit this when I do have time later today if it doesn’t make sense so check back in a few hours ?I’ll write in blue words right here in this parentheses that it’s been corrected. Corrected )

I support this video 100%. I think it’s great! However, when the comment was made, “we didn’t make the snake strike at the Camera in order to be cool” or something along those lines. I had to respond to that because of what I have planned for next year‘s videos and my own filmmaking. (And on behalf of thousands of other forum dwelling Herpers)One of the projects I plan to work on, Is a video displaying the difference between a harmless gopher snake and a venomous rattlesnake. Over here in the US of A, One problem we have is theredoesn’t seem to be a very good video or picture description that displays how to tell the difference between the two animals who look very similar and both rattle their tails and coil/strike viciously at hikers walking by… So out of my frustration that something like this doesn’t really exist, I’m going to do a really really really effing good one. Part of that video is going to be a gopher snake at full size adult Status striking and biting my hand leaving small harmless scratches. So that hikers know that there’s really no danger and no need to grab a gopher snake and cut off its head. Also I want to point out what to look for to tell that it’s clearly not a rattlesnake. The problem with most videos or picture display that’s come out in the past is most of them are in black-and-white, too far away to see, both of them Similar colored and patterned, etc. etc. etc.… Any hiker ever talk to, they really don’t know the difference. Every now and then there’s one guy who knows his stuff about rattlers. But very seldom.

So like I said,I already had this planned. And something else that I didn’t mention before that trips me out… Is I had a scene storyboarded for a cartoon I wanted to do next year where the camera view is coming from beneath the rock and shows the snakes viewpoint of a rock being lifted and the herper standing up over him. It was actually a salamander that was going to be under the rock. And I noticed you guys use that angle just by pure coincidence in your film and I was thinking great… I guess I have to pull that scene now :lol: :lol: :lol: But actually, I think I’m still going to do it. The thing is I’m thinking of starting my own channel so there’s gonna be a lot of really cool videos coming out over the next five years.

So let me make this clear. I think you’re a nice guy and I respect the video that you in the filmmaker made in collaboration with each other. It’s awesome. However where I have to step in is when you made that comment/suggestion that people get snakes to strike at cameras to be cool. Or that it’s abuse to the animal. Again, I did not want to go there with this… But I have to say , It’s kind of hypocritical and you have no logical reasoning to even make that comment. It’s far more stressful for the snake to be actually touched/grabbed by human hand in the process of being chased and captured than it is for it to strike a camera lens. Now I agree taunting the animal is not very nice. However, snakes don’t have hands or feet. They have no concept in their brains of hands and the different uses of hands. They only have their mouth to grab things and the only reason they do that is with thelagenda to eat something In disparity to live. So when the snake is grabbed by a human hand it’s only thinking one thing… Oh my God I’m about to be eaten alive! That’s the only thought it could possibly think. Now if it’s striking out a camera lense, it’s thinking something else… Its thinking if I can scare this camera away I can make it to safety and live another day. Look at the two scenarios between a snake being grabbed and a snake having a Camera stuck in his face .....and you tell me which is more traumatizing Or mentally stressful

. That’s just my opinion and I have no time to edit this cause I have to leave for work. So I hope it’s coming out halfway legible. But I really hate it when some nice guy comes along and starts hippie talking about apples and oranges between what should be considered abuse of the snakes. I went through this before back in 2009 with a bunch a young chaps who got jelly and jumped on my ass for picking up a rattlesnake and holding it behind the neck. Then they start posting vicious selfie’s of them grabbing and holding possums behind the neck with a snarling oppossum mouth wide-open and Have a huge proud smiles on their faces and tthey think that’s OK fine and dandy but I can’t hold a rattlesnake comfortably relaxed in my hands… :lol: So I’ve already been prepared for this type of attack.Whether it be accidental or intentional.

The only way you’re not stressing out an animal in the process of field herping is by walking up slowly, taking your video or your photo without disturbing it or scaring away, and never chasing or touching it. If you’re not doing insitu field herping...Then you have no place to say what is mean or abusive to the animal. It all falls on opinions at that point. But the simple truth of it is, if you’re going to grab a snack after chasing it down, it’s no different Or just as bad assticking a camera in its face. Now from a film makers point of you I totally respect that you guys did not do that. However… I’m going to do that! And to make sure gopher snake heads aren’t chopped off because they’re mistaken as rattlesnakes. And I’ve actually think the defensive hissing of a gopher snake is awesome as fudge and I’m probably going to incorporate that in the video in the future ,then apologize to it and hope it forgives me. But I want you to know all those plans for my videos were far before yours was ever posted and it’s not going to be any kind of personal attack on you. And its obvious You’re a nice guy. I can tell and I think you got a good outlook on field helping. For me, I’m a have to get my hands dirty..But I think Ill have a positive benefit

And we all have grabbed a snake at one time or another and we all know that if you treat it respectfully it’ll calm down and chill out and relax in your hands. And that’s the best feeling ever When it comes to field herping experiences .To make that kind of connection with animal and build some sort of trust. And we all have been there!! So I’m not saying that we,re evil people for grabbing snacks. I mean the brass tax of it is, this is an animal that squeezes a mouse to death and makes his eyes pop out of the skull and blood come out of his mouth just so that I can stay alive… A harmless sweet little fuzzy mouse. how much sympathy Does a devil like that really deserve in the first place :lol: :lol: peaceeeeeee. Ok done

Oh yeah, and somewhere in there I should’ve added that I’m sure a lot of filled her purse took BH’s statement a little personal because what snake doesn’t strike at a camera during photography. It’s happened to the best of us at sometime or another. There’s always that one pissed off angry snake that you just can’t do anything with. OK peace
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Maybe its just not worth it Porter. Besides most people in the mainstream are really freaked out when they see a snake bite someone, and im telling you the truth. Except kids who seem to have a stronger sense of curiosity than fear. You can count in them absorbing the look on your face and your response. Adults have already made up their minds, frequently.
Porter

Post by Porter »

Kelly Mc wrote:Maybe its just not worth it Porter. Besides most people in the mainstream are really freaked out when they see a snake bite someone, and im telling you the truth. Except kids who seem to have a stronger sense of curiosity than fear. You can count in them absorbing the look on your face and your response. Adults have already made up their minds, frequently.
The picture of me getting bit by the baby racer in Ilikesnakes yearly herBing video, is a joke picture of me threatening to bite the snake back for biting my finger. It’s not a natural reaction if that’s what you’re referring to… It’s a joke about me telling Bill that I’m gonna bite the snake back because he’s latched on to my finger. And him saying that Porter isn’t having fun and less he is getting bit is just a joke about the fact I got bit three times that day… First by a gopher snake that I just Chomp down on my hand as much as it wanted with little to no reaction leaving I shedded tooth...Second being a tiny red jumping spider that made me give out on Howling growling scream that holds water to some of Cobain’s very own best work Hey I And could be heard for miles… LOL little flicker ... and then ending the day with that baby racer taking to chop down ...I Don’t go searching for snakebites in order to have fun while herping. It’s just something that happens that I don’t really mind very much. I’m not the type of guy that cares about being bit unless it’s a rattlesnake. I just left the damn thing bite me instead of trying to

And with all due respect, Kelly you don’t even herp. So you don’t find headless gopher snakes at you’re harping spot. And as much as I’m leaning more towards the scenario of minks protecting their pups. I know that something that still happens andddddd... I like gopher snakes :lol:
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I dont know about any baby racer thing you did, I was referring to your above project, with the gopher snake biting your hand idea.

I've done my share of lookin, you dont know my life.

Didn't mean to get you upset, just sharing a thought.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

You went into alot of detail about people making remarks about how you operate, and then went on to describe your Video where you are planning to get a gopher snake to bite you as a teaching moment.

You seemed to be expressing some anticipatory angst at how it will be recieved, and i shared the opinion that it wasnt worth it, because it won't achieve the goal you think it will with the GP, and because your main audience will probably be Us, who dont mind getting bitten either, as a general consensus, but may have expressed they find your showcasing and frequent talking about it a little gratuitous.

So I thought maybe it wasnt worth it.

Youre a creative guy, productive, so I didnt think a response about one of your ideas would be taken so personally.
Porter

Post by Porter »

Clever girl :thumb: I’m sure we’re all familiar with the reference

I was never upset, again the only reason I said anything is to keep the fire from boiling over. There is no reason for BH to even say that .it’s just picking a fight. Period.And so I felt like I’m a good representative to speak up for the crowd Of people who may have taken it personal. I’m really trying to make a strong point that this is not the way you make changes. By pointing out that you’re better than someone else in someway. That never goes over well. Never has never well. It only Sparks up Furry. So I was trying to be a rhinoceros (Pre- Bungalo bill days)Mytical or reality

I don’t know if you do it purposely or not but it really seems like you try to mess with peoples heads. If not I’m sorry but I’m just letting you know. The story about the goat and the getting your goat thing… I don’t know kind of suspicious. But I think the time I took to thoroughly explain my position should show that I’m not Angry. And seeing all sides of it. Not to mention packed with lots of compliments.And I’m not trying to build anger. I’m about the opposite. Explaining to bread some deeper understanding. Anyways I’m done with this shit. And when I say shit it’s not in anger it’s just the word that I use. Rest a sure.

And no I’m not making a video about the difference between gopher snakes and rattlesnakes for a bunch of people who know the difference between a gopher snake rattlesnake. I making a video to suggest to hikers that I meet on the trail. I figure that was obvious. I’m not searching for popularity I’m not that type of person. If I was I’d be on Facebook 24 seven playing to the consensus...Not angry, just aware Of people’s intentions in reality and I call it as it is. No BS
Porter

Post by Porter »

In all honesty it’s more humorous to me than anything else but now I’m just sad
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Porter - I think you're really talented and I think you're brave. I dont have very many friends because I like to stay home with my collection and my cat after work, but I shared some of your stuff with my best friend kind of brother Yeti (not a real sasquatch, but close) and he got it, and dug it too.

I heard my Mom use the expression "Get your goat" and Ive been thinking about Helli since I started visiting the forum again. The story about the pig eating the goat was an intense image, i made a play on words, paltry in delivery compared to Helli's skills. I just remembered yo guys didnt like each other, but thats not in my mind could not care, just made that small play of words.

I spent my whole life on east bay hillsides, and some of the best times in Florida. But I never herped with a camera, just wanted to be lookin, thats what i always called it. My focus on herpetoculture and exotics husbandry became a 24 hr pursuit. I have a wife now and a bad back and I come to FHF almost as my only internet activity.

I meant no harm to you. I was just giving you an opinion. I thought I would share who I am here transparently. As you do, all the time.

Dont trip. People think we are similiar I think. I dont mind, and sorry if you might.

- Kelly
Porter

Post by Porter »

I see that you wrote something else as I’m logging in to post this… Don’t have time to read it I have to get back on the road and drive. I will later.

Porter

Post by Porter »

Kelly Mc wrote:Porter - I think you're really talented and I think you're brave. I dont have very many friends because I like to stay home with my collection and my cat after work, but I shared some of your stuff with my best friend kind of brother Yeti (not a real sasquatch, but close) and he got it, and dug it too.

I heard my Mom use the expression "Get your goat" and Ive been thinking about Helli since I started visiting the forum again. The story about the pig eating the goat was an intense image, i made a play on words, paltry in delivery compared to Helli's skills. I just remembered yo guys didnt like each other, but thats not in my mind could not care, just made that small play of words.

I spent my whole life on east bay hillsides, and some of the best times in Florida. But I never herped with a camera, just wanted to be lookin, thats what i always called it. My focus on herpetoculture and exotics husbandry became a 24 hr pursuit. I have a wife now and a bad back and I come to FHF almost as my only internet activity.

I meant no harm to you. I was just giving you an opinion. I thought I would share who I am here transparently. As you do, all the time.

Dont trip. People think we are similiar I think. I dont mind, and sorry if you might.

- Kelly

Ok...Im home now and read your message...and fixed the vid link ..I think I already covered this in the vid, but heres my final statement:

If you found a Yeti youre better at finding things than I am lol ;)

One play one words deserves the next...and again, wasnt you as much as it was an open door to let my goat scape to freedom. As far as I knew, I liked Jim... except for that one time he envited me down south for a first Arroyo Toad lifer. What a bastard

In situ is pretty much the same as looking.... as as far as herping goes,Your method is most respectful to the animal

Alright Im tired AF... Imma give BH a break from this BS... take some Advil PM in the AM ….let FHF sediment settle from my black kettle naming :sleep:

We are similar.. We both sexually attracted to women :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumb: :thumb: :beer:
Bavarianherper

Post by Bavarianherper »

Hey Porter,
I was not aware that any other herpers took offence at my sentence
Bavarianherper wrote:Of course we could have annoyed the animals and get strike footage and such to make it "cool"...
so if I did, I apologize
This sentence was purely meant in reference to my video as in my own opinion, putting footage of striking snakes in this video wouldn't have had an educational effect.
Porter wrote:There is no reason for BH to even say that .it’s just picking a fight.
As I mentioned before I was referring to my video and responding to Vic's comment in which he stated
VICtort wrote: Further you did it without hyperbole and outrageous overacting/punchy footage.
and for my video using striking and biting footage would have been just that, outrageous overacting/punchy footage,
so I do believe I have a reason to say that and definitely not picking a fight.

However if the video would have benefited in making it more educational it would have been a different story.

Like you said, when writing something, context and how someone means something can often get lost or misinterpreted.
Hope this clears things up.
Bavarianherper

Post by Bavarianherper »

Kelly Mc wrote:Ive been meaning to say thank you, since I first enjoyed the film.

To me it was a film and it was great. You have such a cool demeanor, wholesome and calm, you let the beauty of what you do lead the way.

I agree with with Vic, the music was so well timed it was like the warmth of the day coming on, or even better, the feeling as one gets to know someone while sharing something wonderful.
Thank you very much Kelly! :)
Really appreciate it!

Fred
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Jimi:
Lots of familiar, even universal themes & feelings & instincts & skills.
OkanaganSFLT:
This captures the feeling of success and deep satisfaction that one can get from herping.
Fire Drake:
That was very nicely done--and very tasteful.

Vic:
you took an event/discipline/fascination that is hard to explain to others, they often "just don't get it" and made it accessible. Further you did it without hyperbole and outrageous overacting/punchy footage.
Fred, I have to agree with these folks.
In full disclosure I started your video back in October and quickly turned it off as just another herp video where the creator is more interested in showing him or herself, than the herps. I took another look. I apologize for the rush to judgment; I was wrong. I think your video talks nicely to new and future herpers.

Good job.

Whether you are a herper hobbyist or from the scientific world you can appreciate that, the more folks that experience herps in a positive light, the better chance of getting rational, balanced herp conservation.

"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we are taught." (Baba Dioum, 1968.)
More popular:
“No one will protect what they don’t care about; and no one will care about what they have never experienced” (David Attenborough)
Bavarianherper

Post by Bavarianherper »

BillMcGighan wrote:Fred, I have to agree with these folks.
In full disclosure I started your video back in October and quickly turned it off as just another herp video where the creator is more interested in showing him or herself, than the herps. I took another look. I apologize for the rush to judgment; I was wrong. I think your video talks nicely to new and future herpers.

Good job.

Whether you are a herper hobbyist or from the scientific world you can appreciate that, the more folks that experience herps in a positive light, the better chance of getting rational, balanced herp conservation.

"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we are taught." (Baba Dioum, 1968.)
More popular:
“No one will protect what they don’t care about; and no one will care about what they have never experienced” (David Attenborough)
Thank you very much, Bill!
Yeah I completely understand where you are coming from.
Also I couldn't agree more with those quotes!

Fred
Porter

Post by Porter »

Bavarianherper wrote:Hey Porter,
I was not aware that any other herpers took offence at my sentence
Bavarianherper wrote:Of course we could have annoyed the animals and get strike footage and such to make it "cool"...
so if I did, I apologize
This sentence was purely meant in reference to my video as in my own opinion, putting footage of striking snakes in this video wouldn't have had an educational effect.
Porter wrote:There is no reason for BH to even say that .it’s just picking a fight.
As I mentioned before I was referring to my video and responding to Vic's comment in which he stated
VICtort wrote: Further you did it without hyperbole and outrageous overacting/punchy footage.
and for my video using striking and biting footage would have been just that, outrageous overacting/punchy footage,
so I do believe I have a reason to say that and definitely not picking a fight.

However if the video would have benefited in making it more educational it would have been a different story.

Like you said, when writing something, context and how someone means something can often get lost or misinterpreted.
Hope this clears things up.
I think what Vick was referring to was, for example, we have this dude over here in the states who wears a Indiana Jones hat and he’s been doing a series of videos, coyote trail Or something like that,where he’s doing this outrageous overreacting and has a very punchy attitude /character personality. I could be wrong, but that’s what I figured Vic was referring to. Or videos similar to what that guy makes. I think he’s done some videos where he’s getting bit by various different things but it’s obvious that his agenda is just to get a bunch of YouTube hits over education. It promotes hey careless attitude toward the animals and that’s what’s so great about your video is that it shows a more sentimental side and emotional connection to the hobby. Where is this guy is just acting like an ass and sticking his hand inside of snapping turtle mouths , choked by pythons, and climbing inside alligators and shit like that lol He tries to promote it as an educational value but it’s really just jackass dance for popularity. Soooooo, That guy does have quite a big audience and I’m sure some of those people are here hopefully not a lot because I feel like most people here have a deeper understanding. His following is probably mostly kids and that’s a scary thought…

My agenda with the snakebite is the show that it is no big deal. I can let the snake bite me, no pulling my hand away that could hurt the snake, not gonna do overreacting and screamin...showing the true reaction that a bite doesn’t hurt. Buuuttttt then again, maybe that’s not really even necessary. Like Kelly mentioned, people will probably just Think I’m trying to prove I’m tough I guess. I don’t know.

I’m glad you guys didn’t make footage like that and I hope you’re dont in the future! :lol: if by accident it happens and you keep the camera rolling to show “see, it don’t hurt” Then that’s cool… But you guys did the right thing by not setting up a situation like that where it’s unnatural. Greatest thing about field herping is the natural element and sediment to it and that’s what you guys captured which is what I think everyone likes. Myself included.

And I don’t support that coyote Trail guy, but have to admit , When I saw he was going to let himself get stung by a wasp… I mean, I just had to watch :lol: :lol: Go Tarantula Hawks!

-Porter
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I make myself not watch YouTube snake videos because they often bum me out, so I dont know who the latest khaki hat snake guy is.

But Porter once a person actually gets bit by a snake if they aren't phobic of them in the first place the mystery is over and I dunno, but I could see a string competition incited copies following a compelling well done video like what you could produce, and ppl messing around with less sincere motives, if you know what I mean. There's some potential for that.

Dont get a prim picture of me either, I just have a deep dislike for snakes being a part of buffoonery I dont mean You at all Porter, but man there's some toxic shit out there in you tube land, from what I've seen and again I haven't watched lately
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

When the first owner of the last animal store left I razored all the price tags off the cages I had snakes in that I didnt want to sell.

Before that I would find myself in a tough spot and I would have to be creative. I tried to stay within the perimeters of truth because I wanted to stay honest in my position which i took seriously. I loved what I did, for the most part. But I had my controversial by some peoples standard moments which, are special memories to me, and I think Positive.

One of my snakes was Kyle, AD Sonoran Pit who was a food oriented biter and also frequently struck when disturbed. He had a spacious environment, he was who he was, and I saw no reason to try to change who he was.

A man came in who was making a video. It wasnt a herp video, he just needed a snake for a scene. Kyle was on his shelf he liked basking and was out in the open. Plus he was a good size for the movie. The guy said. The guy said he would bring him back - how much to rent him? I told him no but referred him to a source. He was stuck on Kyle. He then said he would just keep him after he filmed his video. No way, it wasnt right, the guy was clueless and I had done this long enough to know it would be bad for Kyle. So I tell him that Kyle bites and he says he is going to "Do some research".

So the guy comes back and says he ordered a Snake Hook. He wouldnt let Go. So I opened Kyles door and held my open palm up and in a long strike, Kyle nails the base of my thumb, without a wrap, just a brilliantly executed, sweeping strike, which bled nicely and I say to the guy See he bites, ok?

The strike was so perfect, and it saved Kyle. It was liked we worked together, I loved that snake.

I have gently encouraged children to allow themselves to be bitten by a baby corn snake, as we went through the boxes to pick their pet. I had a reason for it. "Getting Bit" isnt an acceptable reason to bring a snake back after a few weeks and choose another. They also had to learn that it didnt mean their snake didnt like them. One little girl picked the snake that, well, bit her pretty good, "Because he's "Vigress" (vigorous ;) :thumb: ) It was great and yes I never got in trouble with a parent. I had a modality and they trusted me.

And yes Porter, one of the first questions they ask is Can it Bite and Does it Hurt.

These are heartwarming memories, others not as lovely, so I get it Porter, but I think a Youtube Video has more propensity to be copied badly than enlighten on how harmless a gopher snake bite is.

And its not because of You, but the Audience. Maybe thats not important its not that big a deal to many, even herp people sometimes. But that would suck to see. just sayin