It is currently December 16th, 2018, 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Florida trip January 2019
PostPosted: November 29th, 2018, 4:46 am 

Hello,

in January 2019 I am going to be for three weeks in Florida. Somewhere between Fort Myers and Lake Okeechobee and maybe the coast north of West Palm Beach. There is on single species that I really would like to see. I have tried several times in the past but failed ;-(

I saw this species once in a pet shop, but that was not a true pleasure. I want to see this snake in the wild! The Rough Green Snake. I was looking at daytime in suitable habitats (any edges of water bodies) and at night with a flashlight. Nothing happened.

Maybe you guys know whether this species is common in south FL or not. I would appreciate each single hint.

Thank you!

Frank

Profile WWW 
 Post subject: Re: Florida trip January 2019
PostPosted: November 29th, 2018, 5:46 am 

Quote:
I was looking at daytime in suitable habitats (any edges of water bodies) and at night with a flashlight. Nothing happened.

Night with light can be good where there are shrubs on the edge of everglades canals.

Daytime in habitat, as you know, unlike Northern Smooth Greens that can be under flat rocks in sunlit meadows, is tougher to predict with Rough Greens.
There aren't many flat rocks in south FL! An understatement! :lol: :lol:
That said, commercial collectors in the '60s would even shake the bushes on the everglades canals in daytime and watch for movement!

I've had better luck in south Florida with them crossing sandy roads at sunny, cool times, but I must admit that these are still random finds. They can be anywhere from wetlands to xeric highlands.

Like finding EDBs in brush and ratsnakes in trees, it helps to discipline your mind to scrutinize any "green blade of grass" on the road.

Good luck. Let us know if you succeed this year.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2018, 3:35 pm 

I agree with Bill - walk (shine) 'em at night, cruise 'em in day. In January, it might be "cold", esp at night - so personally I'd lean toward cruising. Walking them in-habitat, in daytime, is far tougher for these guys - they're pretty darn cryptic.

Just cruise some dirt roads in state Wildlife Management Areas, you ought to do alright. Note many SFWMD properties are comanaged as WMAs (Cooperative Areas) - don't let that confuse you. WMAs owned by "fish & game" are called Lead Areas. What you don't want to do is hunt a National Wildlife Refuge or National Park, or a State Park, with hopes of handling herps.

http://myfwc.com/viewing/recreation/celebrate75/

See "explore by map" and "explore by name" links. Once you get a likely/possible place by name, e.g. "JW Corbett WMA", you can dive down the rabbit hole of links and additional info. If you get to the WMA management plan (http://myfwc.com/conservation/terrestrial/management-plans/online-mps/) you can get some pretty detailed habitat, road and trail info. And a lot more. There are also nice little 2-3 page brochures to print and carry with you. Sometimes there's quite a bit of road, and lots of these WMAs are biggish - 50 square miles or more. Plenty of room to get turned around.

Try a couple of WMAs. Their diversity is pretty sweet.

Good hunting!

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2018, 11:48 am 

Okay, thank you Bill and Jimi for being so kind and giving me some advice. My trip will last three weeks. I try to look 24 hours a day. I can sleep when I am back home :mrgreen:

Frank

Profile WWW