Herping Borneo

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Mark

Herping Borneo

Post by Mark »

Spent 4 months in Borneo this past winter and did loads of herping, mostly looking for snakes. Found plenty of great locations but going to share a few photos and a species list from one of my favourites; Tawau Hills Park. Tawau has both primary lowland and montane forest, there's affordable accomodation inside the park, a cafe that serves up tasty food and it's an easily accessible park.

Anyhow, during my time there I found the following species:

Keeled Pit Viper
Sumatran Pit Viper
Sabah Pit Viper
Dark-necked Snail-eating Snake
Blunt-headed Snail-eating Snake
Smooth Snail-eating Snake
Jasper Cat Snake
Pale-spotted Cat Snake
Mangrove Cat Snake
Common Mock Viper
Painted Mock Viper
Elegant bronzeback
Vine Snake
Dragon Snake
Staliczkia's Rough-backed Snake
Keeled-nosed Blind Snake
Triangle Keelback
Slender-tailed Wolf Snake
Reed Snake spp (yellow and black)

I did the vast majority of my herping alone at night. But to anyone who'd like to visit and would like a guide, contact Shavez at 1StopBorneo. Great guy and a terrific guide.

Cheers,
Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
orionmystery

Re: Herping Borneo

Post by orionmystery »

Stoliczkia borneensis and Xenodermus javanicus! WOW WOW WOW! Dream snakes! Good job.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks! They were definitely both species I wasn’t expecting but thrilled to have found.
dendrelaphis

Post by dendrelaphis »

Very cool finds indeed. I've spent quite some time on Borneo and several of those species I never found
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks, I think I was lucky to have found a few of those. That said, despite all my time in Borneo there’s quite a few species that I’d hoped to but never found. To name just a few; no Leaf-nosed Pit Viper, Malcom’s Pit Viper, Blue Coral Snake, Red-headed Krait, etc. But all the more reason to go back sometime right :)