Frog, salamander, turtle and snake photos & videos from 2019

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

mfb

Frog, salamander, turtle and snake photos & videos from 2019

Post by mfb »

It has been a while, but I wanted to share some herp photos and videos from earlier this year. This is a mix of cameras, locations and species. I hope you enjoy!
One of our very special, all-female unisexual salamanders swimming underwater. Seen in northeastern Ohio:

I was particularly happy to get this short video of a Pickerel Frog (Rana palustris) singing its growling song in 2019. I have tried for a couple years to get a video of this species calling.

Three clips of a Midland Chorus Frog (Pseudacris triseriata) making its distinctive trill in southeastern Michigan:

Close-up photo of a calling male with vocal sack inflated to the max:

Two male chorus frogs:

A sped-up video of some Wood Frog (Rana sylvatica) embryos moving around inside their eggs prior to hatching.

And some photos of the hatchlings hanging out on old eggs (including a dead egg infested with fungus):

Close-up on the head of a hatchling wood frog. At this stage it still has external gills. The arrows point toward the adhesive glands that are present on hatchlings but lost as the tadpoles develop.

Underwater video of some wood frog tadpoles swimming around in a shallow vernal pool in the woods.

An eyeball-level encounter with some amorous and aggressive American Toads in northeast Ohio.

Profile view of a singing male American Toad:

A pair of mating toads in amplexus:

A Gray Treefrog (Hyla versicolor) perched on a dead cattail frond, shaking the cattail with the force of its song:

Male gray treefrog calling from a tree next to a pond:

Male gray treefrog calling from a mass of dead cattail leaves:

In June 2019, trying out a trail camera on a nice basking long. A Northern Water Snake (Nerodia sipedon) is in the foreground. Watch as a snapping turtle (Chelydra serpentine) crawls out of the vegetation onto the log behind the snake:

One of my favorite sights this year. I call it the “gargoyle salamander” because of the way it sits almost completely still while water rolls over its body and head. This is a blackbelly salamander (Desmognathus quadramaculatus) sticking its head out on the edge of a waterfall. Seen in western South Carolina.

BillMcGighan

Re: Frog, salamander, turtle and snake photos & videos from 2019

Post by BillMcGighan »

Super post, Michael. :thumb: :thumb:

Some of us here can appreciate your patience and motivation to get such good videos and photos.

I've lived most of my life in Pickerel Frog range, and I don't think I ever caught one calling! :oops:
mfb

Re: Frog, salamander, turtle and snake photos & videos from 2019

Post by mfb »

Thanks Bill, I appreciate it!

That pickerel frog video means a lot to me because of the amount of time (several years) before finding one calling close enough to let me record it.