Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Porter

A Giant Encounter - Battle for the Delta

Post by Porter » December 15th, 2019, 5:30 am

Nicholas

Re: A Giant Encounter - Battle for the Delta

Post by Nicholas » December 15th, 2019, 2:05 pm

Wow! Snakes never cease to amaze me. What a day! When you panned from the plane to the gopher snake you really caught me off guard. Had to do a second take. Video is very well put together. Fantastic!

Nicholas

Porter

Post by Porter » December 15th, 2019, 9:13 pm

Nicholas wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 2:05 pm
Wow! Snakes never cease to amaze me. What a day! When you panned from the plane to the gopher snake you really caught me off guard. Had to do a second take. Video is very well put together. Fantastic!

Nicholas
Thanks Nick! I actually hadn’t noticed the gopher snake at that point. The plane was going so fast by the time it passed me, that the momentum of my arms trying to follow the plane is what accidentally captured the snake. Throughout the video, there’s a couple scenes where the bird (Swallows, no less) chatter gets extremely loud. I’d be sitting there quietly holding still and they would just start freaking out for no reason! It was that chatter that finally brought my attention to the hunting gopher snake. I was too focused on what was happening at my toes. In the airplane scene, I think the snake is about four or five boards away from the bundle of nests. I didn’t notice the snake until it was two boards away from the nests. I think I was there a little over 2 1/2 hours. So there’s a good chance that snake had already pulled out eggs, chicks, or maybe even an adult bird landing at the edge of the nest... Or perhaps even another snake before it. So, I was just as surprised as you were originally. When I got home I started checking through all the scenes and that’s how I saw that additional accidental capture.

There’s another Easter egg in there of a jumping spider (see if you can spot it). I actually had quite a bit of footage of that spider but I had to really shorten things up to fit a 15 minute limit. Another cool thing that happened was these little fish hopping out of the water near the irrigation/crop field drainage spills. Probably due to predatory fish. But maybe there was another snake hunting beneath the water there... I had a video segment where I was telling a story of a Blue heron that had posted up there alongside a giant gartersnake. The two seem to be hunting for fish together and The heron showed no interest in the snake. Hard to say, because as I walked up to them of course the heron flew away and then I observed the snake. But it was a large snake in clear sight, half on shore half submerged. hunting the shallows. So I was explaining how I thought the snakes could possibly be a second choice food item when fish are readily available… Maybe because of musk not tasting good or digestion. Right as I was explaining the details of that story, a blue heron flew over the top of me and croaked at me. Haha Like it was upset that I was in it’s hunting spot. I pan up with the cell phone to catch it flying over the top of me and then landing further down the ditch. There was a lot of downtime dealing with boredom but definitely had its action moments. The setting was an artistic wonderland. That bridge has so much character to it with the peeling paint and crackled asphalt. Editing was fun.

Thank you again for the comment, I really appreciate it! 🍻

mark buck

Post by mark buck » December 19th, 2019, 3:26 am

Outstanding.

I have a lot of respect for species that adapt to survive in disturbed/changing habitat, that's probably why I like Giant garters so much... living in nasty rice field canals and chowing down on invasive bullfrogs, they really are badass snakes...

great video :beer:

Porter

Post by Porter » December 20th, 2019, 3:31 am

mark buck wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 3:26 am
Outstanding.

I have a lot of respect for species that adapt to survive in disturbed/changing habitat, that's probably why I like Giant garters so much... living in nasty rice field canals and chowing down on invasive bullfrogs, they really are badass snakes...

great video :beer:
Thank you! :beer:

I couldn’t agree more. It’s rare to come across one that doesn’t Bear some kind of gnarly scaring. And let’s not forget tractor plowing, Field burning, canal flow maintenance weed mowing, tangled fishing line, broken bottle glass, feral cats, pup protecting minks, Limited burrowing space with kingsnake & racers, and of course the all time classic villain... The automobile.

Porter

Post by Porter » December 20th, 2019, 4:01 am

For educational purposes:
pup sounds cuter than cub. It has a better linguistical flow when placed before the word, “protecting” and it better expresses the feeling of what I want to portray...
Goddammit Jim, I’m a poet not a scientist

:lol:

But yeah, cub would be the correct terminology lol Just a heads up

Sky Islander

Post by Sky Islander » December 21st, 2019, 8:28 am

I love this video and how there is so much going on in such a short time. I even like the interruptions of the cars driving over the bridge and your excited herp-nerdiness nearly getting you hit by one. :lol: It puzzles me how sometimes we can go days without a good find and then suddenly the sky opens up and there are interesting things all around. Oh, and your prolific employment of the Fornication word makes me think we would be friends.
Goose

Porter

Post by Porter » December 24th, 2019, 5:37 am

Sky Islander wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 8:28 am
I love this video and how there is so much going on in such a short time. I even like the interruptions of the cars driving over the bridge and your excited herp-nerdiness nearly getting you hit by one. :lol: It puzzles me how sometimes we can go days without a good find and then suddenly the sky opens up and there are interesting things all around. Oh, and your prolific employment of the Fornication word makes me think we would be friends.
Goose
Thank you! You should see how I handle the cars when the snakes in the middle of the road :lol: (kids don’t try that at home)

...and what Can I say, I take my fornication seriously :thumb:

Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla » January 5th, 2020, 11:46 pm

Porter wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 9:13 pm
There’s another Easter egg in there of a jumping spider (see if you can spot it).
3:21?

Amazing video Porter.

Porter

Post by Porter » January 6th, 2020, 9:08 am

:lol: :thumb: yep :) There’s a couple scenes actually. I think he goes into the water, swim & a climb out in one of them… (could’ve been a Different jumper) But that 3:21 is Definitely the most unnoticeable one :beer: it’s a trip because it looks like the frog is actually pointing at it Lol At one point I started just watching the spider because there was no movement and it got pretty boring. The little guy was jumping up off the rock trying to catch things.. And encountered a little confrontation with another individual.

Thanks Ross :beer: I appreciate the comment!