We All Live In a Yellow Submarine

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Porter

We All Live In a Yellow Submarine

Post by Porter » January 5th, 2020, 10:22 am

OK, so just to give a brief description of what this video is about... last year I was out herping with my friend who happens to have a huge interest in the unseen world. One of those things being rodent burrows. He was fascinated and curious with what goes on under ground with snakes to the point that he went out and bought a telescopic lens to attempt viewing some of the underground snake activities. We got on the subject of talking about rodent burrows and I want to say that he pointed out to me how it’s set up similar to a house. I then offered the information that banded geckos do the same thing based on my experience keeping a banded gecko as a pet. It picked one corner of the terrarium and only used that corner as a bathroom. Each time I cleaned the tank I only had to scoop out the one corner. He basically set up the terrarium as it's species would an underground home. Then, we got on a completely different subject and started wondering how many snakes were killed by the California floods and how many could’ve made it out alive… I suggested that they might be able to live in air bubbles beneath the surface IF It’s possible for an air bubble to exist long enough to live in. Then I thought, maybe this has already been established years ago and I don’t know that because I haven’t gone to college for herpetology or any other kind of science major. So maybe what I’m presenting right now is something that everybody already knows or at least 80% of you already know. So basically I’m just wondering what’s going on, just like he is, and we’re trying to figure out the truth. I'm not trying to decredit anybody or try to steal any credit. We just wanna know what’s going on. A very humble approach to a deeper understanding of this world. Anything in regards to either supporting this hypothesis or proving it to be Unplausible is welcome and appreciated!

Porter

Re: We All Live In a Yellow Submarine

Post by Porter » January 5th, 2020, 5:42 pm

Questions:

1. Are burrows more common in habitats where there is clay in the soil? Is it present on the roofs of these rooms?

2. Are large rocks and solid chunks of wood commonly attached to rodent Burrows? How long can that hold a bubble?

3. Can a replica ant farm type scenario be made?

4. Rates in which oxygen is transformed into carbon dioxide within a circumference.

5. Production of carbon dioxide in reptiles vs amphibians vs mammals

6. Can snakes actually contain the ability to breathe through scale absorption at a low levels with enough percentage rate to survive, similar to amphibians?

7. How long does flood water Cover burrows?

8. Do mice/rodents store food in burrows?

9. Is clay present in prairie dog habitats? Is Clay absent in habitats were prairie dogs do not thrive?