Tips/Itinerary for Florida Everglades Trip

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Bostaff of Asclepius

Tips/Itinerary for Florida Everglades Trip

Post by Bostaff of Asclepius » February 22nd, 2020, 1:19 pm

Greetings,

I have a week set aside the second week of March to pursue a childhood dream - explore the Florida Everglades! I will be making the trip down in my (hopefully) trusty camper van from North Florida; I was hoping for a bit of input as to any general tried-and-true stops along the way. Likewise, upon arrival to the park any guidance to 'must-visit' areas would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking for any particular species - anything and everything will be an exciting and welcomed encounter. I may try my hand at dip netting as well if anyone has any input regarding that specific approach. Will check back soon, thanks ahead of time!

- Tony

Zonata Don't Exist

Re: Tips/Itinerary for Florida Everglades Trip

Post by Zonata Don't Exist » February 24th, 2020, 2:13 pm

It is technically illegal to handle any wildlife within the park (including burms), and I would personally advise against carrying a dipnet or a snake hook (realistically you could get away with it but be warned). That said, the book "A Field Guide to the Snakes of Southern Florida" by FHF member Josh Holbrook is a great guide for the basics.

Also you really do not need any insider tips for the ENP, it's as easy as herping gets. My first visit was for a week last September and I found a ton by exploring on my own, which is what I recommend doing personally.

Bostaff of Asclepius

Re: Tips/Itinerary for Florida Everglades Trip

Post by Bostaff of Asclepius » March 6th, 2020, 9:03 am

Thank you sir, it is appreciated!