I-10 Chronicles

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Biker Dave

I-10 Chronicles

Post by Biker Dave »

Greetings everyone!
This July 9 - 26 I will (finally!) be taking a vacation (after 2 years of let downs).
My plan is I-10 eastbound from Phoenix all the way to the Everglades. Think of I-10 as the spine and all sorts of little side trips to cool herp spots as the ribs.

I'm looking at places like the Trans Pecos/Big Bend area, Brazos Bend SP, Apalachicola NF, the Glades, maybe Key West and then back.

Looking for ideas, suggestions, meet-ups possibly?

Yes I know the mosquitoes are deadly this time of year in the Glades but I'll have to deal with it.

Planning on camping most of the trip.

My targets are pretty much anything that doesn't exist in Arizona!
BillMcGighan

Re: Future I-10 Chronicles

Post by BillMcGighan »

Yes I know the mosquitoes are deadly this time of year in the Glades but I'll have to deal with it.Yes I know the mosquitoes are deadly this time of year in the Glades but I'll have to deal with it.
Worse yet in some areas of Florida, especially around mangroves, are the No-see-ums (biting midgies, sand flies, punkies, jejenes). Make sure your tent has screening rated for these evil creatures. You can buy the proper netting and just tape it on for this trip.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

I was considering just moteling it for the Everglades portion of the trip.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Smart man...
Especially that time of year.

Let us know how you do.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

As the trip gets closer, let me know when you'll be in the Big Bend/Trans-Pecos area...I'm probably heading out there again soon.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Sunday July 12 - Tue 14
Sunday night Camping in Davis Mtns
Mon and Tue at Outback Oasis
Tues night Brazos Bend SP
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Ah, I won't be out west until the following week...but you'll be in my neck of the woods (sort of) Tuesday night--for how long?
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

One day then I head east toward the Florida Panhandle. But I will be stopping at the The Big Thicket area July 18-20. Then Austin area the 21st, then I was thinking of going up toward Post TX the 22nd. Then maybe Big Bend the 22 and 23rd. But that's all tentative. I could end up just going straight to Big Bend area from Austin.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Cool. My plans are still in flux, between state open/close/travel/lockdown whims, and plans for work rapidly evolving which may require some intensive replanning cutting into my vacation plans, so I'm not sure exactly when (or if?) I'm heading west just yet. I'll try to call/text if I make it out that way or not.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

This heatwave is putting a lid on everything so far. Hopefully my luck will change tonight.
craigb

Post by craigb »

Follow the rain or cold fronts......
Don't assume the motels will be 100 % bug free....
Take lots of pics and vids...

I am jealous.... :thumb:
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

What is this "Rain" you speak of!?!?!
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Here is a teaser photo from the trip so far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
craigb

Post by craigb »

Thank you !
Exceptional....
My kind of photography. Take shot, release it, go find more!!!!

craigb
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Well I never made it to Florida. In fact I barely made it to East Texas! Is it always that hot and humid out there!?! What the hell is wrong with you people?? One night in a tent in East Texas during the heatwave and the Humidity from HELL was all I could take. WOW!

Going on a solo cross country herping trip during a pandemic, in the worst heat wave, and massive humidity does not fair well for the psyche or the body.

Here is a quick list of locations I did hit on the trip.

Day 1 - Chiricahua Mountains east slope and a portion of the Peloncillos in New Mexico. It was very hot and dry here. Didnt see much that afternoon evening - Just a Longnosed snake and a scutulatus.
Day 2 - Guadalupe Mountains North side. This day was just a waste. Too hot and too dry. Only thing I saw was a DOR molossus.
Day 3 - Big Bend area of Texas. This was THE night of the trip. It had rained across the border in Mexico and I guess a small wisp of rain hit this area a night or two prior. 4 subocs, 1 Kansas Glossy, 1 atrox, and a DOR NIght snake, along with Couch's Spadefoots and the Canyon Lizard.
Day 4 - more Big Bend Area (Davis Mountains) No rain in this area. Once again, too hot and dry. Didnt even see a DOR. Nothing was moving.
Day 5 - Yep, more Big Bend. Shining the local cuts I only got a young Crevice Spiny.
Day 6 - Brazos Bend State Park east Texas. Too hot and too humid. No snakes (and I looked all over the place) but did see a few gators and a few turtles. The gators and turtles were all lifers for me. Oh yeah, and a Bullfrog. Where it should be!
Day 7 - a stop at County Line BBQ on the Lake in Austin on my way back west to DRY land - a lot of turtles. they have become habituated to this location as they have been feeding them for years. Now they use what looks to be a Mazuri type turtle pellet. It was a nice break from the road and all the hiking.
Day 8 - First rain I hit on my way back to Peloncillos and Chiricahuas. You'd think with the rain, I'd be finding all sorts of things. Nope! Just toads, spadefoots, and a splendida.
Day 9 - Mentally drained, drove home. Came across two gopher snakes on the way home. One was attempting to eat a road killed rodent but it just couldnt get its mouth open wide enough to get the entire road pizza'd rodent in its mouth.

But, I did manage to find a few things. Here are some pics...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Apparently I cant upload any more photos as it says my files are too large. If you want to see more go to my personal Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/dave.weber.79/ ... 453&type=3
craigb

Re: I-10 Chronicles

Post by craigb »

Thanks for the report Dave. So many folks talk about a trip and then never post what happened.
I had a trip planned for Big Bend in April. Southwest cancelled it and so did my buddies. I am going to try again next year.
I have yet to see a suboc, and a wild caught alterna is on my bucket list.

craigb
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

I went through the Big Bend area in April one year and it was too cold and wet.
It might be better to wait a little later in the year.
The mythical general rule is "the first new moon in June."
I've also heard September can be good as well.
craigb

Post by craigb »

Thanks for the advice....
Here is to 2021 :beer:
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

I've been pretty badly skunked in the Davis mountains a few times, when I went before the late summer rains had started. I don't go there any more in June; I just mentally lump that area in with the other "monsoon-season" places. Edwards Plateau is different.

I asked a guy here about flipping little dinky critters real early - March or April. He indicated that wasn't a stupid notion. You could mis-time it with a cold front or whatever, but as a basic principle, he thought it was fine. Same idea as with the other hot N Am deserts - the really small stuff comes up first, and early. Banded geckos, Sonora, Tantilla, etc.

Sorry you got kind of worked, Dave. It happens. July mostly sucks - obviously it can be OK or better for monsoons, and I have also heard it can be good for the High Plains (W NE or KS, SE CO, etc). And also the eastern side of "West Texas". Not sure about E NM - or the W Panhandle of TX; maybe.

Good to hear from you. I had to chuckle at your discovery that tent camping in the SE USA in July is f*ckin rugged. I got my ass handed to me in the Boy Scouts. Taught me good. Ha ha ha.
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Jimi

When I heard from the ranger who lived there that it was especially brutal I didn't feel so bad. I still got to see a few things that were new to me herp wise, and I also got to be a tourist in an area I've never been. Overall, while it could have been completely "Epic" had the weather been better, I still had a good time - because I wasn't at work!
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Dave,
Glad you got to make your trip, considering our national state of health siege.
You know this in your home area, even a less successful trip; you learn things about areas you haven't experienced.
Then there are the side experiences of non herp discoveries.
Plan another.
PS
I've herped the Big Bend area in all months of the year, and had some pleasant surprises, including a huge SUBOC in daytime!
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Jimi:
Good to hear from you. I had to chuckle at your discovery that tent camping in the SE USA in July is f*ckin rugged. I got my ass handed to me in the Boy Scouts. Taught me good. Ha ha ha.
Yup.
I turned into a "camping" wus in old age and now my wife and I use this:
100_1232A.jpg
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

I turned into a "camping" wus in old age and now my wife and I use this:
Love it. The fiberglass trailers hold a lot of appeal for me. I'm still a "tent / truck shell / hell just throw down a tarp & puss pad and call it good" kind of camper. But - I live in the West where it's dry & (for now anyway...) still cools off at night, and despite some worn-out parts am not yet all that old. The humid east in summer is a whole 'nother beast. Basically it all gets down to sleep deprivation, which is torture. Literally, under the Geneva Convention, it is torture. A hot sweaty buggy night = no sleep. And I can already see over my horizon to the time when sleeping on the ground is all over for me.

Like I said, I've been pondering those small fiberglass trailers - Scamp, Casita, whatever. 21 foot and under, something you can pull with a 4 Runner or Tacoma. My main hold-backs have been 1) a place to park the thing between trips and 2) fear that having it will stop me from going places it can't go.

I didn't even know Scamp did a 5th wheel type style. That thing looks sweet!
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Next time I'll just hotel it. The money I save on gas from pulling a trailer across the country will more than make up for the cost of a room. With a cool shower. And dry air.
Porter

Post by Porter »

Cool pic of the turtles basking :thumb: Looks like there’s another one peeking his head over the top of the shell. Congrats on the rat snake. That’s gonna be my number one target if I ever make it to the cuts :mrgreen: I’ve wanted to see one of those since I got my hands on my first Stebbins guide. Coolest looking snakes of all time 🤙🏻
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

I am planning on heading to West TX again for Snake Days in early June 2021.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Good luck Dave, and watch the Drought Monitor maps. There are a few west TX counties right now that are not in drought, and also a belt of really terrible ("Exceptional, D4") drought. And lots of everything in between.
https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentM ... aspx?South

The April outlook for the region looks like shit, frankly.
https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Conditio ... looks.aspx

But hopefully May and June bring better news. Drought sucks. It certainly doesn't improve west TX herping IME.

cheers
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Biker Dave wrote: April 18th, 2021, 6:18 pm I am planning on heading to West TX again for Snake Days in early June 2021.
Unfortunately Snake Days is virtual again this year...http://snakedays.com/

I have work a summer camp through June 4th; don't know when I'll head to West TX this summer (at least once) but if I know you'll be out there maybe I'll try to plan around that time! :D
tomharten

Post by tomharten »

Making my first trip to West Texas in nearly 30 years. My son is in Air Force tech school out in San Angelo, so I'm delivering his car from Maryland and taking a week to look for herps in the Big Bend region and possibly around Del Rio. I got my small game/reptile and amphibian license and a reflective vest. I'm hoping to shine cuts and hike up some stuff. I know that cruising is frowned upon by the authorities out there...

I'm planning to be herping the week of June 20 through the 23rd. I've got areas in mind, but would appreciate any tips for turning up some of the West Texas specialties like Subocs, alterna, and pictigaster. My plans are somewhat fluid if there are folks that would be interested in meeting up. Thanks for any pointers!
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

What I learned from herping the Trans Pecos is follow the rain. Of course the trick is to not follow a flooding but a steady calm rain. Also,I learned to sleep all day then herp all night.
Make sure you park fully off the asphalt when you park to shine cuts.
tomharten

Post by tomharten »

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I bagged my initial plan to camp in the National Park and instead, will grab hotels in the surrounding area. I don’t think sleep is possible in a tent when daytime temps are near 105! Plus i realized that I’m getting to be an old dude! Hoping for a break I’m the heat dome over that region this week a little rain will be welcome! A suboc like the one in the photo that you shared earlier would make the trip!
Thanks again!
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

I recommend the Outback Oasis in Sanderson, TX. The owners are well known herpers and they dont mind if there are (contained / controlled) snakes in the rooms.
tomharten

Post by tomharten »

I’ll definitely check that out. Thanks!
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Biker Dave wrote: June 10th, 2022, 8:01 pm I recommend the Outback Oasis in Sanderson, TX. The owners are well known herpers and they dont mind if there are (contained / controlled) snakes in the rooms.
Roy and Ruth sold the Outback Oasis this spring and moved back to Kansas! I think I heard the next-door Desert Aire will be running it now.
tomharten

Post by tomharten »

Thanks for the update! Some of the local folks I've been in contact with suggested it might be a bit more productive a little further east (toward Del Rio) due to the heat conditions. I think it's going to be pretty brutal there as well, but I'm locked into the timing as my primary objective is to deliver a vehicle to my son.

Maybe I'll catch a break and a couple of storm cells will emerge...

Thanks again!