Best TIME OF YEAR to Visit Ecuador for Herping?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

lancehakker

Best TIME OF YEAR to Visit Ecuador for Herping?

Post by lancehakker »

I'm planning a trip to Ecuador (most likely Tiputini) with my brother, what month do you recommend? My assumption is October-February. Any additional thoughts?
Mark

Re: Best TIME OF YEAR to Visit Ecuador for Herping?

Post by Mark »

Generally the rainy season is best for herps. In Ecuador the rainy season various quite a bit depending on the location, Amazon vs Choco etc. However in the Amazon, where you're planning to go, it's from about the end of February to July.
lancehakker

Post by lancehakker »

Mark wrote: July 6th, 2020, 1:53 pm Generally the rainy season is best for herps. In Ecuador the rainy season various quite a bit depending on the location, Amazon vs Choco etc. However in the Amazon, where you're planning to go, it's from about the end of February to July.
Thanks Mark!
Tremarctos

Post by Tremarctos »

The rainy season is best. It's not as well-defined in the Ecuadorian Amazon as it is in (say) Central America or the Peruvian Amazon. See here: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... -daily.png. On the western slope, January-March is best.

If you want to walk without a guide, I'd strongly recommend Shiripuno over Tiputini. I also prefer the trail system (long trails through varied habitats) and it's easier to arrange access to visit (at least it was pre-covid). Let me know if you want more information on either site.

Ben
www.tremarctos.com