mikephoto

Wisconsin Bullsnake observations 2020

Post by mikephoto »

Porter

Re: Wisconsin Bullsnake observations 2020

Post by Porter »

mikephoto wrote: October 15th, 2020, 3:28 pm

ImageBullsnake (Pituophis catinefer sayi) by Mike Day, on Flickr

That’s one cool looking snake right there! Would this be considered melanistic or is it common to come across them with all black blotch coloration like this in Wisconsin?
mikephoto

Post by mikephoto »

I've only seen them this color in one county in Wisconsin. They are quite striking in appearance.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Very impressive pics and animals
mikephoto

Post by mikephoto »

Thanks!
Porter

Post by Porter »

Oh I believe that they are striking... :lol: Cool stuff man. I found a great basin gopher snake a couple years ago that had all black Dorsal blotching running from nose to tail. With a higher than usual consistency of black on the neck portion. The usual color scheme for those is black from the neck, fading into brown mid body, and fading back into black to the tail. I always wondered if it was considered to be partial melanistic

484808FE-20BE-438F-8909-DC7BEB0B877B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I dont know enough about color genetics to make a comment on the melanistic commentary you mention but yeah agree. like, some mammals ie; Lion juvie boys will produce black manes.., some 'black bordered' animals will have deeply infused crossovers or chevrons . I had a sweet crote lady , rescued from idiots, who was solid charcoal black - actually 'Mottley' solid black except after a shed - when she presented w hints of pattern. Yet so dark I dont know whether she was oreganus or atrox. No reliable locality Data from the cretins whom I picked her up from. I only knew I loved her, and named her Beth. She was eventually rehomed with a hells angel masonry guy who had a heart of gold, who built her an environment in a triangle Stone work env. in his living room.

That great basin is Gorgeous.