Mud snakes, and Rainbows

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

cowboychris

Mud snakes, and Rainbows

Post by cowboychris »

Hey guys, wondering if yall had any tips for finding Farancia. Id really love a mud or a rainbow this year but dont really know where to start. As of now I spend a good bit of time shining a swamp at night in SC.

Any general habitat, behavoiral, weather condition, or time of year recommendations yall have would be much appreciated.

cheers
Jimi

Re: Mud snakes, and Rainbows

Post by Jimi »

Archives are your friend:

viewtopic.php?t=12175

Another month or so and the start of SC prime time will be upon you. I'm a little jealous.

good hunting!
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Place large sheets of plywood half in and out of water, summer/early fall, and check mid January to early April.

Jeff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cowboychris

Post by cowboychris »

That previous thread was helpful, thanks for sharing Jimi.

I will give that a go Jeff. My only concern is the water level fluctuation and the board getting swept away in a big rain- worth a shot regardless. Thanks for the detailed advice, nice looking specimens you found there.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

the board getting swept away in a big rain
Trivial problem if you take countermeasures. Use a metal stake, a short length of chain or cable, and a pair of stainless swivels (like for marine fishing). Ever seen a leg-hold set? Same idea. "Don't let it get away."

good luck!
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Trivial problem if you take countermeasures. Use a metal stake, a short length of chain or cable, and a pair of stainless swivels (like for marine fishing). Ever seen a leg-hold set? Same idea. "Don't let it get away."
Jimi is right. We stake the ones that are along rivers, and really stick to near the mouths where levels have low fluctuation. Another key is to put them on emergent vegetation.

For muds, just dump them around swamp margins and ditches.

Jeff
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

I read a paper recently on mud snakes in Arkansas. It was really interesting how tight they stuck to the flooded habitat. Like never left it. I can probably find the paper if anyone is interested.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

how tight they stuck to the flooded habitat. Like never left it
I mean it's just crazy how well common names sometimes work. Ha ha. Isn't that cool? I just love it.

@OP - I've done alright cruising adult muds in the summer rain. They come out and crawl around in the rain, after dark. I've also done alright walking / shining babies in weedy roadside ditches. That dorsolateral red sure jumps out. I've never found a rainbow snake. Might as well be a unicorn to me. Ha ha.

Anyway, you can't go too wrong shining swamps. You can add to your repertoire but I wouldn't ever stop doing that.

I'm not at all sure what the SCDNR regs are concerning traps and snakes. Lots of aquatic-snake research uses minnow traps. But that's all done under a research permit. For recreational use, it might not be allowed. Of course, if you were trapping minnows for fishing bait and accidentally got the odd snake, frog, or turtle as incidental bycatch...follow the bag and possession laws and you'd probably be OK. Also (hopefully obviously...) try not to drown stuff, eh? Keep the top of the trap in the air. Also - if you need a fishing license or whatever, be sure to have it on you.

Good hunting!
stlouisdude

Post by stlouisdude »

Ya if legal, you could do the old pool noodles and zip ties to keep the snakes from drowning during heavy rains. You'll also get a lot of amphbians in the traps (sirens, etc) so you'll need to constantly check on them and release the animals and you may have to release a cottonmouth so you might want to practice how you're going to handle that in advance. The nice thing about the plywood idea is it can be checked at your leisure. The downside being it could be considered littering. If you chain it down it might show some intent to remove it and would prevent the swept away issue, perhaps best done on private property or approach the land management in advance.
cowboychris

Post by cowboychris »

Jimi wrote: February 9th, 2021, 7:49 am
the board getting swept away in a big rain

good luck!
makes sense! Ill take yalls advice and hopefully get my first Farancia.

Thanks for everyones input