Tadpole ID assistance (southeastern WA)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

d_tigrinum

Tadpole ID assistance (southeastern WA)

Post by d_tigrinum »

A herpy hello to you all. I'm new to the forum and joined because I am doing baseline herp surveys for a biology program in southeastern WA and have found tadpole/metamorph ID is more challenging than I anticipated. I learned about this forum through the California Herps site, which I have been using heavily for ID (as well as the Washington Herp Atlas). Being pretty new to herps, I have been second-guessing myself a lot, but I believe these photos are of a Great Basin Spadefoot Toad tadpole. It's got the close-set eyes, prominent nostrils, longitudinal sections on the belly, and the color seems right. Would anyone be able to provide their thoughts? Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff

Re: Tadpole ID assistance (southeastern WA)

Post by Jeff »

Yes on the spadefoots. Let the water draw down over the next couple of weeks and they should confirm as metamorph spadefoots.
Jeff
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Jeffs recommendation would prove conclusively.

Totally useless to you now, but if you ever work in the east, this can be handy:
https://ashtonbiodiversity.com/home/edu ... mmon-name/

It was started by one of our own herpers a while back.
d_tigrinum

Post by d_tigrinum »

Thank you both!! Super cool, one of the species I was most hoping to detect!

Thanks for the website, I'm from out East so I'll definitely use it when I go back to visit.