ID assistance request again- metamorph!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

d_tigrinum

ID assistance request again- metamorph!

Post by d_tigrinum »

Hi everyone, I was hoping for some assistance again. You were really helpful last time!

I have a small (about 1/2 inch long) metamorph (two pictures included), and I had not realized how different metamorphs can look from adults. Based on the appearance of the tadpole (first photo), I suspect Woodhouse's toad. Given my location (southeastern WA) and habitat (and ruling out other species due to the appearance of the tadpole), options would be: Western toad, Woodhouse's toad, or Great Basin spadefoot toad. I looked up pictures of metamorphs for each, but it seems they can look pretty similar and I can't find criteria for telling them apart at that stage. Thanks for any help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff

Re: ID assistance request again- metamorph!

Post by Jeff »

Look like Woodhouse's to me as well.
Jeff
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Hey Guys love tad and metamorph ID stuff..

With boreas being the strongest other guy of contention, for me anyway, what cued you to probable woodhouse? Lighter, smoother little crown? Im hopin those are good guesses at least

Also has anyone thought of creating a tad and metamorph gallery here on the Forum? That would be excellent.

Thanks for the posts!

Kel
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I'm more familiar with boreas, and various exotics than woodhousii. A little more data has me almost seeing barely and diminutive L crests in the last photo but not really. Perhaps if I had a different device.

Toad detail really shows up better dry especially with faint baby braille.