Arizona Vacation

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

JWO

Arizona Vacation

Post by JWO »

Hello,

My name is Jon and I am a long time reader but a first time poster. I am from southeastern Washington State. On 08/23 I am flying into Phoenix to do a southeastern Arizona herping/invertebrate photography vacation. I leave on 8/29. I am just throwing out an invitation to anyone who might be interested to meet up for a day or two while I am down there. I don't bite and I'm pretty easy to get along with. I don't have any solid plans yet on where I will be and on which days but I have been doing a lot of research. I plan on doing Phoenix southeast towards the Tucson/Sky Islands Areas. Anyway this is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity for me. I'm married and have four young kids and they all share no interest in tipping over rocks to see what is living under them or walking more than a quarter mile. My generous wife has given me permission to take this trip that I've always wanted to do. I don't take animals from the wild, nor poach. My Craigslist milk snake suites me just fine. I don't plan on giving away someone's super secret spot they go to see certain animals. I just plan on going down for some fun seeing different reptiles, scorpions and spiders and what ever other naughty creatures everyone is afraid of. I have never met anyone in Washington who is interested in those things or taking pictures of rattlesnakes so I have always gone alone in the past. It just seems like a more popular hobby in the southwest. I have an inaturalist account if anyone wants to make sure I'm real. It is under my name Jon Olson. Anyway just shoot me a PM or email me at [email protected] if interested in meeting up.
Jeff

Re: Arizona Vacation

Post by Jeff »

Jon
In case you haven't received any private input on your Arizona trip: desert is best in the morning, but go uphill during the heat of the day. For bugs, bring a sheet and black light. Hit little-traveled blacktops at night for snakes, centipedes, and maybe a mountain lion. Also, follow any rainstorms for better results on the roads. For all-around diversity I like the Pajarito Mountains at this time of year.
Please send us a post-Arizona trip report.
Thanks,
Jeff
DylanMcDiarmid

Post by DylanMcDiarmid »

Hopeful your trip went well! Please share pics of your finds.
JWO

Post by JWO »

Trip went pretty good. Not as much variety as I had hoped for but it was a good trip overall. Haven’t had time to go through photos yet. Just been working non stop. I’ll post some when I get the chance though.