Don't Sleep- There Are Snakes (MAJOR DUW) PART TWO!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Viridovipera

Re: Don't Sleep- There Are Snakes (MAJOR DUW) PART TWO!

Post by Viridovipera »

So does this mean your Herpedex is full? Maybe you just need some new memory and you can keep going....
justinm

Post by justinm »

Marisa,

Wow since last year when I first met you you've just been on a huge roll. I can't even keep up with who you've herped with, where you've herped how many lifers you've gotten etc. You're a good herper, and you're young so keep up the good work as long as you can. You're truly an inspiration to me, and I'm jealous... Awesome post to be sure, truly EPIC.
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Very cool post! :beer:

I can’t help but feel that your "sleeping clarkii" is actually a sleeping female Desert Spiny Lizard. Its the orange head tone as well as several other aspects.
Crazins

Post by Crazins »

Fieldnotes wrote:Very cool post! :beer:

I can’t help but feel that your "sleeping clarkii" is actually a sleeping female Desert Spiny Lizard. Its the orange head tone as well as several other aspects.

You know I was really torn about that ID. That's the closest i ever got to a magister, and I guess I couldn't make the distinction, so i went with what i knew.

Thanks for the fix!

-M
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

I was surprised that none of the other herpers pointed that out. I guess they are still stunned that a girl is out herping them.
ErikNM

Post by ErikNM »

BTW, I didn't wear those socks and shoes to herp in. I don't look that silly. I just had nothing else to wear until my boots dried from walking in the creek earlier
Brian Willey

Post by Brian Willey »

It's too bad you couldn't find more, I guess there's always next time. ;)

No but seriously, that was insanity! :beer:
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

Marisa,

Great job! Inspiring!

You managed to find so many lifers in a few months that many Arizonians spend a lifetime looking for!
Bravo!

Norman
ADCIII

Post by ADCIII »

Marisa, I've been through this post at least 5 times now and each time I choose another background for my computer. I almost have the whole post memorized. Those wil wils are fantastic. I hope you will enter everything on the database NAHERP. I don't see you registered there yet. I bet you will dominate the klauberi, pricei and willardi pages. I would like you to target a Cochise County massauga and triangulum on a future trip. Just FANTASTIC, Art
P.S. I want to buy that first sunset. ;)
DIAMONDBACK DAVE

Post by DIAMONDBACK DAVE »

So I guess I should say this is a pretty good post.......

OK one of the best......

DBD
Mourits

Post by Mourits »

Amazing pictures... :shock:
Crazins

Post by Crazins »

Okay so I really hate commenting on my own posts, but I'm going to anyway...

Thank you to everyone who has looked at these posts and thanks for all of your kind words. I had a great time putting the post together and an even better time actually finding and admiring the animals. Thanks so much to all of you who commented on the posts too. Your kind words make me smile every time I read them.

Okay now for some personalized responses...

ADCIII: I always find photos i like and save them in a folder called "Desktops" and then have them rotate every 15 min. I never thought someone would be taking my photos for desktops though! I'm so flattered! As for the NAHERP database, I've tried to set up a profile two or three times, but I guess the database doesnt like me, since it never works. Plus, I only found four klaubs, while a friend of mine found over 80 in the same time-span. All of my friends made fun of me when i was down there cause it seemed as though i had a curse against me regarding those silly snakes. As for the willardi and pricei, I found those snakes in areas that are very well known for those snakes, The only snake that I didnt find in an area where they're typically found was the G. quadrangulare.
As for the saugas and milks, I did target them, but I had no luck. The season was shutting down, and the two weekends I really worked for them the moon was pretty bright.
About the sunset shot, which one are you talking about? The first sunset on the second post or the first sunset in the first post? I'd be happy to e-mail you a higher resolution copy if you really want it.

Fieldnotes: I dont think i out herped anyone....I just think I worked hard to find everything I could in the three and a half months i was given. And I had great people to herp with and a little luck. I do think it's funny though that no one caught that mis-ID. That's usually the first thing people remark upon.

Justin: Thanks! I know I've come a long way in just a year. I hope to go out in the field with you again sometime soon. I hope Silas is doing well! Congrats again!

Alex: My herpedex will never be full...though yours is kinda empty. Get your a$$ out to AZ next summer and we'll fix that

joecop: The pic of the scute with its tongue over it's head is one of my favorite shots too :)

Mike and Alex: Thanks for the nomination! I actually do think there should be a hall-of-fame subforum. Just a place to go to see all the epic posts that made us go "HOLY SH*T" when we saw them (like Brendan's rattlesnake post and some of those crazy cool post coming out of Australia). I dont know if this post qualifies though...

Sam: Thanks again for all of your help out there. I'm coming back to California for all of December...you up for a little salamanderin'?

Ryan: I've never found a wild caught albino, though if I had this summer, I think I would have to quit herping for a year or two...I think I all my heping karma would have been extinguished for quite some time...

Cole: It's funny cause one of my friends told me I should leave the invert shots out...he said that they take away from the herps. I liked them too much to take his advice. I'm glad you liked them too!

Ames: The atrox I stepped on seemed just as shocked as I was. He didnt rattle, strike, or hiss or anything. He just kind of rolled under my foot and then tried to get away...though not with much conviction.

Everyone else, thanks for looking at this silly monster of a post! I wanted to make it one big thing, but i went over the character limit haha.

See you all in the field someday (hopefully)!

Love,
-Marisa
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

Wow! Absolutely beautiful! There is so much good stuff here I don't even know where to start.

Bill
wayne_fidler

Post by wayne_fidler »

Epic post I wouldnt mind seeing the snake rd stuff. great photography as well.
Crazins

Post by Crazins »

wayne_fidler wrote:Epic post I wouldnt mind seeing the snake rd stuff. great photography as well.

The snake road photos are in the Midwest Chapter forum, in a post called "The October Road"

Thanks for looking!
-M
Bill Love

Post by Bill Love »

Your post was a visual feast! I see a keen eye for photography in your shots - always something I appreciate too. GREAT POST of one of my favorite regions to herp!
Terry Basey

Post by Terry Basey »

Wow...I'm thoroughly impressed. The quality of the photos are just spectacular...and the photographer looks pretty darn good too! Nicely done post, habitat and sunset shots round it out really well. Thanks so much for the time you took to put this together. Looking forward to the next one.
Terry Basey

Post by Terry Basey »

Oh, and Marisa, what camera do you have? Obviously a good one.
Paul Huang

Post by Paul Huang »

Jeez. An obscurus, a quad, a coral... that is just so wrong! I am jealous! Nice pics. That willardi striking shot should be a poster!
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Even better than the first half! Awesome job!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Bladeblaster

Post by Bladeblaster »

absolute awesomeness :thumb:
Russell_Keys

Post by Russell_Keys »

Thank you for sharing, I really enjoyed!
ADCIII

Post by ADCIII »

This post is one of my favorites and I like to re-read it every couple of years. This time I decided to post on it to put it into the rotation, so maybe the newer members can enjoy it as well. Thanks, Art