Red-bellied Black Snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

saratoga

Red-bellied Black Snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus)

Post by saratoga »

Going through lots of my footage and trying to put a few little videos together. Here is one from about 6 weeks ago just after the floods went through the Barmah Forest on the NSW/Victoria border.

Red-bellied Black Snakes are large (~1-1.7m.....4-5ft) elapids common through much of south eastern Australia.

YouTube - Red-bellied Black Snake
monklet

Re: Red-bellied Black Snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus)

Post by monklet »

Exceptional snake video. Great job! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: You really captured the snakieness of one of my favorite unsung snakes.
crocdoc

Post by crocdoc »

They're certainly not unsung among reptile enthusiasts in Australia - it's my favourite big elapid!

Nice video (as was the tiger snake video as well).

Greg, I just realised that it is you putting up these videos (assuming this is the same Greg W that's a designer and that I know from uni days?). This is David K. The last time we spoke (must be at least a couple of years ago, now?) I think we may have discussed wildlife videography. What are you shooting with, these days?
saratoga

Post by saratoga »

Thanks for the replies, probably my favourite elapid too; hope to keep trolling through my footage and post some more soon.

David (Crocdoc) .....I remember we bumped into each other viewing the Lace Monitors although I think it was only a year ago....I hope!

I'm shooting with the Canon XHa1. I think when we met you were just getting into video as well? How's it going with your filming? I'll have to post some croc stuff for you!

cheers

Greg
crocdoc

Post by crocdoc »

It's going well. Getting right into it, which is a problem as now I have to carry twice as much equipment everywhere (stills and video) - or did, until I got a Canon SLR that shoots video. I have a Sony digicam as well, which is much better from an ergonomic point of view than the SLR (for video, that is), so I use that when I have room for both sets of equipment.

I shot this on the sony a couple of years ago:

Komodo dragon video
saratoga

Post by saratoga »

Great work with the Komodo video David.....I particularly liked the intro and narration, would like to see the story completed some time.

You have a great youtube channel; some terrific monitor stuff there.

cheers

Greg
Carl Koch

Post by Carl Koch »

Great footage -- thanks!