Mostly South Florida... Mostly. (1 of 3)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

T2K

Mostly South Florida... Mostly. (1 of 3)

Post by T2K »

Hello All,

My name is Trey, and I although I have been searching for reptiles and amphibians for quite some time, I just recently acquired a camera and just recently started to photograph my finds in the field. Similarly, I have frequented this forum for a long time, but haven’t really shared much. So here it goes!

I have lived in Florida for five years, and have recently moved south from the Tampa Bay area after receiving a job working mainly in Everglades National Park. It is easy to mesh into the South Florida network, there are a lot of good herpers in Florida, most of which are great people as well. Every outing, regardless of our findings, has been fun, mostly due to the company. I have decided to post photographs in a somewhat chronological order, starting with the winter of ‘09/’10 and early Spring ‘10. Below are some of the encounters that occurred during this time.

For me, Coluber, Nerodia, Thamnophis, and Agkistrodon are the most commonly encountered serpents. After that comes Pantherophis, Sistrurus, and Cemophora.

Coluber constrictor – What is a herping trip without one?

Diadophis punctatus

Nerodia fasciata

Sistrurus miliarius

Pantherophis alleghaniensis

Pantherophis guttuta – On a few occasions, I have found snakes by investigating rodent in distress sounds, and it usually makes for an exciting find. This corn snake had just captured a rodent. Fortuitously, I had enough time to grab my camera and take a few shots, just as the rodent was disappearing.

Pantherophis obsoletus

Pantherophis obsoletus – While I do not like to pester snakes, this snake was full of gumption and I decided to try and get some strike images. After a short time, I had lost a lot of blood, and was satisfied with the results. The blur is a nice effect, but I was really gunning for a freeze shot, so next time I will use flash and a higher shutter speed.

The American Alligator, Pseumemys sp. turtles, and Hyla cinerea are commonly seen as well.

Alligator mississippiensis

Pseudemys nelsoni

Hyla Cinerea

I also enjoy looking for birds. Here are some commonly seen Florida avians.

Double Crested Cormorant

Anhinga

Sora Rail

Loggerhead Shrike

Green Heron

Swallowtail Kites

Bald Eagle

Every so often, I take trips to Central Florida or around Lake O. I have been fortunate enough to search with many great forum members and fellow outdoors enthusiasts, such as, Mike, Stu, Ed, Chris, Tim, Lloyd, and Josh, to name a few. Central Florida offers an escape from the south, with a great change of scenery, as well as some reptile and amphibian diversity that we do not have or do not commonly find at the tip of the Peninsula.

Masticophis flagellum

Lithobates capito

Sceloporus woodi – This lizard was found lounging on an old coffee can.

Eumeces egregius

It seems easier to turn up Lampropeltis elapsoides in Central Florida than in South Florida. On one trip a friend and I were lucky enough to find two.

Lampropeltis traingulum

Lampropeltis Triangulum

Additionally, the scrub habitat is home to Florida’s only endemic bird.

Florida Scrub jay.

Moving away from scrub, and more towards agricultural fields, one can usually turn up a Lampropeltis getula or two.

Lampropeltis getula

Lampropeltis getula

Primarily in the urban areas of South Florida, exotics abound. You can go on a trip around the world in Miami and Fort Lauderdale, with dozens of species of lizards from Central America, South America, Africa, and Asia.

Iguanas are ever-present in the city, especially near canals.

Iguana iguana

Iguana iguana

In many places there are Ctenosaurs as well

Ctenosaura similis

While, not nearly as ubiquitous as Anolis sagrei, Anolis equestris can still be found readily and over a very large range. Other exotic anole species are less prevalent.

Anolis equestris

Anolis porcatus

Anolis garmani

Agama agama can be very abundant at certain locales.

Agama agama

Agama agama - A much more attractive one than the above example.

Exotic birds are widespread as well.

Mandarin Duck

Peafowl

Mute Swan

Egyptian Goose

In the general everglades area there are many animals which can be seen fairly often, but which require exuding a little effort and targeting specific areas.

Terrapene carolinensis

Crotalus adamanteus

Crotalus adamanteus

This rattlesnake was spotted alongside a road.

Crotalus adamanteus – En Situ

Crotalus adamanteus – As I approached it perked up a little.

Unfortunately, Pythons can be found regularly as well. I have found them at locations 50 miles apart or
so, and just about everywhere in between.

Python molurus

Python molurus

I have noticed that some pythons can be quite foolish.

Python molurus – This one was caught in a prescribed burn. It was less than a meter away from a ditch filled with water.

Python molurus – This snake was run over by a brush cutter. You can see the edge that was cut going across the photo, and the animal’s basking site in the background. It was inches away from life.

Here are some photos of the not so regular birds.

Wood Stork – After I put away my camera, this bird plucked an approximately 12” gar out of the water.

Wood Duck

In closing, I will finish with some of my favorite finds from last winter and early spring.

Lampropeltis getula – This kingsnake was found miles from any paved road, and was a nice surprise at the time.

Micrurus fulvius – In the winter of ’09 I was fortunate to see my first coral snake, however, I was not toting my camera at the time. This dandy was found by Chris G., and knowing that I was in the area at the time, he called me over to snap a few shots.

Micrurus fulvius

Smooth Billed Ani – Anis were once common in South Florida in past years. Now they are fairly rare. I was happy to knock this one off the list. This bird could be found in the same place for a long time and was very approachable.

Thanks for reading and looking at my photographs. Soon to come, parts 2 and 3, Late Spring/Early Summer ’10, and Late Summer/Fall ’10.

-Trey
Gary2sons

Re: Mostly South Florida... Mostly. (1 of 3)

Post by Gary2sons »

Great post and pics as well! :thumb:

So much to see down there with so much diversity.

Also thought that you had posted pics before. Didn't you have the Frank Zappa avatar earlier? That was one that just seemed to stand out for some reason!

Gary
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

I love seeing 'dem south Florida posts. Keep it up Trey - I'm looking forward to P II and III.
ColdBloodedHerps

Post by ColdBloodedHerps »

Sweet pics man! Sounds like a awesome place. I hope I'll be herping there in the near future. :D
Jason Thullbery

Post by Jason Thullbery »

That might be the nicest coral I've ever seen. Of course Chris G found it :roll:
T2K

Post by T2K »

Gary2sons wrote:Great post and pics as well! :thumb:

So much to see down there with so much diversity.

Also thought that you had posted pics before. Didn't you have the Frank Zappa avatar earlier? That was one that just seemed to stand out for some reason!

Gary

Yep that was me, I are what I is. I have posted pictures before, but nothing with a lot of substance.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

T2K wrote:I have posted pictures before, but nothing with a lot of substance.
Amoebas?
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

I see you're making good use of your camera.
I really like the Sora and Ani. I see them (Ani) quite frequently in Broward.

Is there a story behind the Gopher?
BlueEyezLatino

Post by BlueEyezLatino »

Jason Thullbery wrote:That might be the nicest coral I've ever seen. Of course Chris G found it :roll:
Chris G and Danny. (cough cough)
T2K

Post by T2K »

BlueEyezLatino wrote: Chris G and Danny. (cough cough)

You know it! Sorry Danny, I didn't know if you were still a FHF member or not.

Tim, I think the gopher was under AC.
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

sweet scarlet. white bands rock. is that a central thing, or are both colors present? i got one out of sarasota once and the bands were white. most other pics i see are yellow from the state.

-ben
T2K

Post by T2K »

muskiemagnet wrote:sweet scarlet. white bands rock. is that a central thing, or are both colors present? i got one out of sarasota once and the bands were white. most other pics i see are yellow from the state.

-ben

I don't know. I have only found two in Central Florida, and they both had white bands. Every other SK I have seen has been in SFL and has had yellow bands.
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Nice looking Fl kings. Great post. :thumb:
Knightkrawler5

Post by Knightkrawler5 »

Finally you are sharing your finds! I'm looking forward to your next few posts. I am definitely jealous you can still just find stuff everyday while I am freezing my *** off up here in Milwaukee. Its time for me to come back down for a visit!
Chris Ivins

Post by Chris Ivins »

Josh must have not been with you on the Gopher find....LOL
JakeScott

Post by JakeScott »

That was a great post, and what made it even better is that you had capito in it!
I rarely get to see swallowtails when they are roosting, that is a cool thing to see.

-Jake Scott
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Great post Trey, good to see you finally sharing some of your great finds! I really like that big Fl king. Post up the other parts!
Lloyd Heilbrunn

Post by Lloyd Heilbrunn »

Very nice, Trey!
T2K

Post by T2K »

Sorry, pics were down - fixed!

Jake - The SWKs would perch in the same tree every morning for about a week. Other than that, I have only seen them on the wing.

Everyone else, thanks for the compliments!

-Trey
gbin

Post by gbin »

T2K wrote:... I have only found two [scarlet kings] in Central Florida, and they both had white bands. Every other SK I have seen has been in SFL and has had yellow bands.
Were those two snakes very small/young? The pale bands on a scarlet king tend to yellow with increasing size/age.

Out of curiosity, Trey, how far south in FL have you seen the species?

Greatly enjoyed the show! :thumb:

Gerry
T2K

Post by T2K »

gbin wrote:Were those two snakes very small/young? The pale bands on a scarlet king tend to yellow with increasing size/age.

Out of curiosity, Trey, how far south in FL have you seen the species?

Greatly enjoyed the show! :thumb:

Gerry
Gerry,

Those two SKs were about 12-15" long, and I have seen them just about as far south on the penisula as you can go.

-Trey
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

gbin wrote: Were those two snakes very small/young? The pale bands on a scarlet king tend to yellow with increasing size/age.
Yeah, from the number of SKs I've seen (several dozen); the more white colors tend to be a juvenile thing.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Thanks for the tour through s Florida..

Very Nice :thumb:

Fundad
FloridaSerpent

Post by FloridaSerpent »

Awesome post. Really liked the rare birds as well as the exotic lizards, wish I knew some spots for some of those anoles and agamas