Might as well be the first to ask an annoying question....

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

TJP

Might as well be the first to ask an annoying question....

Post by TJP »

Has anyone herped Barbados before and had any decent success?
justinm

Re: Might as well be the first to ask an annoying question..

Post by justinm »

I kinda did, I was a little tipsy... I lost my camera there in fact. Lots of small lizards that I couldn't stumble up to fast enough. I would recommend the Harrison Caves just as a cool fun thing, and the snorkeling is great. The rum on the other hand is evil. Also do yourself a favor and check out the huge Aloe plants they farm.
TJP

Post by TJP »

Thanks for the reply, Justin. It's mainly going to be a fishing and drinking trip ( rum is evil you say?...lol ), but it's going to be impossible for me to not go out searching....even though I've heard there are only a dozen or so reptiles. And, I'll definitely get some snorkeling in. I know what it's like to lose a camera...although, it was actually stolen out of my bag when I checked it on a United Airlines flight in November...lesson learned.
Thanks again.
-Tom
Matt Cage

Post by Matt Cage »

I have spent some time there and found the herping to be very sub-par compared to the great islands to the west (St. Lucia, Martinique, Dominica). Lots of sea turtles though.
TJP

Post by TJP »

"I have spent some time there and found the herping to be very sub-par compared to the great islands to the west (St. Lucia, Martinique, Dominica). Lots of sea turtles though."

Unfortunately, I'm not organizing the trip...if I was, it would be somewhere more herp friendly. :D

Glad to hear about the sea turtles, though. I've only seen three, so that's a huge plus in my book.

Thanks for the reply.
justinm

Post by justinm »

I didn't get to see the turtles as the water was too rough at the time, no boats were going out for them. Dominica aka Lesser Antilles is F*'ing amazing as mentioned though. Nice insular boas.
TJP

Post by TJP »

I don't know when we're going...end of the year or beginning of next year, so hopefully, the water won't be too rough to see sea turtles. I don't know the best times to go or how the seasons work there, so I'm gonna go with the flow of things as others make the trip. I've heard Dominica was pretty good.
Thanks again.