Nicaragua Jungle Expedition

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

robbielab

Nicaragua Jungle Expedition

Post by robbielab »

While backpacking in Central America (last year!) I spent a fair amount of time in Nicaragua, the largest but least visited country in the region. My brother, Jack, and I decided to drop off the "Gringo Trail" and explore some of the lesser visited areas of this amazing country - and, of course, try and find some herps in the process!
I documented this part of our trip in HD video (using my Canon EOS 550d... primarily a stills camera), and have almost finished putting together a 30 minute documentary/account of our "adventures in the jungle", with help from Joe, my other brother, who has composed an epic soundtrack!

Having finished traveling (for the time being), I am now on the lookout for work, and I'm hoping to use this film in some way as a stepping stone to other possible projects - natural history/travel documentaries, eco/adventure tour guiding, education initiatives... so if anyone has any contacts in any of the above, or anyone else who may be interested, please forward them the link!

Anyway, here is the trailer for the film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs6OdZ-60tA

I can't decide whether to put together a photographic post from this trip on FHF... or save it as a possible future article in HerpNation Magazine! ;)
For now, here is a photo of Jack and myself (in our best "British Victorian explorers" pose) at our camp with some of the herps we found.

I'd be interested to hear what you guys think anyway.

Cheers! :beer:

Robbie
Dr. Dark

Re: Nicaragua Jungle Expedition video trailer

Post by Dr. Dark »

VERY nice! VERY professional! Here's hoping you score a great nature filming gig! :beer:
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

:thumb: Looks like a good time.

-Chris
Dell Despain

Post by Dell Despain »

Looks very good to me too.

I worked in Brazil's Amazon basin for a while and I'll never forget how helpful a good machete is. I wish I could find a use for one here in the U. S.(With out looking redonkulas.) From chopping vines and branches to cutting fruit in half, preparing fish, passing crackers w/ cheese on them to a companion, and even flipping a few Fer de lance out of the way, but I never shaved w/ one. :lol:

Good stuff,

-Dell
David Hardesty

Re: Nicaragua Jungle Expedition

Post by David Hardesty »

That was an excellent trailer and good examples of animals that you found.
rosy-man

Post by rosy-man »

That was better than anything on my t.v. very professional
Squam8

Post by Squam8 »

Very cool can't wait to see the full 30 min version!
Jeremiah_Easter

Post by Jeremiah_Easter »

OK, I propose all future FHF posts include HD video and music :crazyeyes: thats mind blowing :thumb:

We'll take the article, write it up man. Damn I wish we could go monthly, we're running out of freaking room.
Crazins

Post by Crazins »

VERY VERY COOL. Well done. I want to go to the jungle NOW. I'm excited to see the whole 30 min version, and I'm impressed that that was filmed with a DSLR. I heard the new Canon video was good, but I didnt think it could be THAT good!

-Marisa
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

Color - no wait - tattoo me impressed!!! Good luck with that, man. You deserve it.
in our best "British Victorian explorers" pose)
Sahibs Joe and Robbie, I presume? Mwahahahaaaa.....What's that in those cups? Earl Grey with a shot of Teacher's? Most veddy pukka, young sahs. Caddy on! :mrgreen:
Jan Grathwohl

Post by Jan Grathwohl »

Great :) - lovely trip :)
Daryl Eby

Post by Daryl Eby »

Wow! That was more exciting than those Kendra videos :lol:

I think I need a cigarette now ... and I don't even smoke.

How did you address security concerns? Just keep a low profile and hope not to stumble into the wrong area?
robbielab

Post by robbielab »

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments!
Jeremiah_Easter wrote:OK, I propose all future FHF posts include HD video and music :crazyeyes: thats mind blowing :thumb:

We'll take the article, write it up man. Damn I wish we could go monthly, we're running out of freaking room.
Cheers Jeremiah, I'll get right on it! Glad the mag is going so well! :thumb:
Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:
in our best "British Victorian explorers" pose)
Sahibs Joe and Robbie, I presume? Mwahahahaaaa.....What's that in those cups? Earl Grey with a shot of Teacher's? Most veddy pukka, young sahs. Caddy on! :mrgreen:
Why, no! Gin and tonic, my dear chap... helps with pesky business of malaria and all that nonsense! (It was coffee actually... wish we had taken some gin!). ;)
Daryl Eby wrote:How did you address security concerns? Just keep a low profile and hope not to stumble into the wrong area?
We spoke to locals and followed their reccomendations and advice. But there is always a risk when doing these things... a lot of it is luck I guess!

Cheers again! :beer:
PAHerper1

Post by PAHerper1 »

Hey Robbie. Awesome trailer. I was wondering what video editing software you used to put it together? Thanks.
Pope

Post by Pope »

Look forward to it.
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Nicely done. :thumb:
DaneConley

Post by DaneConley »

Like a discovery show...a good GREAT one.
chrisr

Post by chrisr »

So cool! What kind of video camera did you use?

Look forward to seeing more video,

Chris
robbielab

Post by robbielab »

PAHerper1 wrote:Hey Robbie. Awesome trailer. I was wondering what video editing software you used to put it together? Thanks.
Thanks, glad you liked it! It was put together on a Mac using iMovie.
chrisr wrote:So cool! What kind of video camera did you use? Look forward to seeing more video,
Chris
Cheers Chris. It wasn't actually filmed on a video camera! I used the HD movie function on my Canon EOS 550d. I may have to upgrade to a proper video camera soon though, that will constantly autofocus on everything rather than having to do it all manually!

Thanks!
chrisr

Post by chrisr »

Amazing. The camera you used did a great job!

I am about to buy a high end consumer video cam which has some nice auto focus features and can't wait to take it herping. I have had problems with auto-focus in the past where it focuses on the background rather than the person in the foreground, so watch out for that.

-C