Western QLD (DUW)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

gus

Western QLD (DUW)

Post by gus »

I recently finished up with work until the wet season finishes and took a break from my studies to make a few trips, to A) go to a wedding (melbourne) B) see my brother (borneo) and C) for fun (Western QLD).

So to start here is some shots from Western QLD, we went through julia creek, winton, Mt. isa, Boulia, Dajarra. I havent put up photos of everything but we managed about 40 odd species in 7 days i guess, plus some new birds and mammals i was excited about.

There wont be much commentary as Im busy, but am making time for you all.

Owlet nightjar

Black headed Python

Suta Suta

Downs whip snake, demansia rimicola

Downs bearded dragon

Gehrya sp.

Marbled velvet gecko

mimicry?

pygopus steelescotti

pebble dragon

pygmy mulga

ring tailed dragon

slender spinifex bluetongue

strophurus krisalys

not sure which this was just witing on ID confirmation Image

cyclorana i forget

dunnart sp Image

beaked gecko

central beardy

common death adder

delma nasuta

fat tailed gecko

gehyra australis

gehyra robusta

gilberts dragon

hosmers skink

mulga

perentie

spiny tailed monitor

stimpsons python

strophurus taeniolatus

I'll get the melbourne and borneo shots up soon
Gus
ColdBloodedHerps

Re: Western QLD (DUW)

Post by ColdBloodedHerps »

Wow Australia! :shock: Love the mulga, black-headed python, and the strophurus krisalys. Great post! :thumb:
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Great post! Your pictures are excellent. :thumb:
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Mulebrother

Post by Mulebrother »

Man...Austrailia grows some great photographers! Awesome.
moloch

Post by moloch »

Very nice shots, Gus. I am envious of the Strophurus taeniolatus and the Hosmer's. Someday, I have to return to the area and try to find those species. The adder was really red, almost like a Desert.

Mulebrother wrote:
Man...Austrailia grows some great photographers!
I agree. I am amazed by the quality of shots that these young guys are producing.

Regards,
David
Serpentes

Post by Serpentes »

Great shots Gus. You must have put in the hard yards to see all those critters. Thanks for posting them up!
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

I can't understand for the life of me why you waste so much time on photographing these vile , disgusting reptiles. Don't you have any cuddly koalas round where you live? :mrgreen:

Thanks for posting - your stuff is always very enjoyable!
David Tobler

Post by David Tobler »

:thumb: I think that may be the first wild Perentie posted on FHF? Nice post.. Thanks for sharing.
David Tobler

Post by David Tobler »

gus wrote:Image
Is this possibly Lucasium immaculatum? I'm just going off of the Wilson & Swan guide.
StephenZozaya

Post by StephenZozaya »

David Tobler wrote:Is this possibly Lucasium immaculatum? I'm just going off of the Wilson & Swan guide.

At the time we suspected immaculatum, but unlike animals I had seen elsewhere most of these guys didn't have bars coming off of the dorsal stripe, which had us considering stenodactylum as a possibility. Gus here took some photos of the terminal plates on the toes, which I compared to earlier photos I had taken of this species elsewhere. The toes, plus the range and robust build of most of the animals we found had me conclude with immaculatum.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Incredible shots!
Jason Ksepka

Post by Jason Ksepka »

I enjoy your posts so much, the quality of the images is incredible and I really enjoy seeing your Auzzie herps that look so much like our Yankee herps. The Downs Whipsnake is as close to a Masticophis as I can imagine. It's so weird how things between the two places often look so incredibly similar.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Nice to see Cyclodomorphus and Egernia hosmeri on FHF!
Thanks for the great post, Gus!
jgjulander

Post by jgjulander »

Fantastic photography. Looks like a productive trip. Love the hosemeri.
Justin
gus

Post by gus »

Thanks for the comments, it was a very enjoyable time out there. a place worth a visit! I'll get some Borneo shots up in about 2 weeks when i return from a field trip. There was some very interesting things over there

Jason Ksepka, i cant agree more about species looking similar around the world. I was recently going through the african frog field guide and the some of the frogs you could confuse with australian species so easily. you would think it could be so similar so far away.

David Tobler, as stephen said we weren't entirly sure on the ID at the time. others i couldnt Id at the time were cyclorana cultripes which there is a photo of and demansia quaesitor, which i didnt get a photo of.

Hans, we do have koalas where i live, i just find there not very photogenic. i'll see what i can do to rectify the lack of koala shots.

moloch, the adders were so different to those we get here in townsville which are often grey and black. i was very happy to see them, we managed 4 in total.

Cheers
Gus
Kevin Price

Post by Kevin Price »

These are wonderful images and finds Angus! One thing that I saw in almost all of the images was a small black spot along the far left side of the frame. It is really visible on the shot of the Hosmer's Skink. It's just dust or dirt on the sensor and I apologize for being the one to point it out, but I'm anal retentive that way (drives my wife crazy). By the time I got to the end of your post I could not stop from looking for the spot in each image. Pretty pathetic, huh?

Anyway, congratulations again on some beautiful images.
Kevin
gus

Post by gus »

That black spot was more than painful the past 4 weeks i was traveling, unfortunately i couldnt clean it myself (i tried) so it was stuck there. It has now been removed but unfortunately it is in a lot of photos :(