Herping near daytona FL

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Thesee

Herping near daytona FL

Post by Thesee »

Hi my name is Kevin I will be In Edgewater FLA Aug 12-21 visiting family and going to the daytona expo. Iv allways wanted to go herping around there but never really got around to it on previous trips. If anyone Is in the area and willing to let me tag along I would be forever greatfull! haha PM me if you want to do some herping :beer:
-EJ

Re: Herping near daytona FL

Post by -EJ »

People get super anal about locals here... do a search for Lighthouse Daytona. It's a nice family hangout... very well developed... lots of herps.

Another option if you are adventurous... are the dirt roads through Ocala National Forest... about 45 minutes away.
Thesee wrote:Hi my name is Kevin I will be In Edgewater FLA Aug 12-21 visiting family and going to the daytona expo. Iv allways wanted to go herping around there but never really got around to it on previous trips. If anyone Is in the area and willing to let me tag along I would be forever greatfull! haha PM me if you want to do some herping :beer:
Thesee

Post by Thesee »

Thanks EJ I can understand about the locals tho. Ill look up your suggestions. Thanks again!
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Hey Kevin,

I don't know what EJ is talking about with the locals, the only species here that people are sensitive about are some of the exotics, and that's mostly because letting that info public causes a lot of pro collectors to start showing up at spots. Myself and most fellow Florida herpers I know love showing out-of-towners around if they can. I don't know the area too too well; but I'm hoping to be at Daytona - Try making a post a little bit closer to the time and I (and others) will probably extend invited to join them for evening roadcruising, etc. around the show.

-Josh
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

I misspelled the word... locale.

That time of year there is usually not much to be found road cruising in that area. The park I'm talking about is always good early morning and late afternoon. If it rains it is good all day and is close enough that it will save you a ton of wasted time.
Josh Holbrook wrote:Hey Kevin,

I don't know what EJ is talking about with the locals, the only species here that people are sensitive about are some of the exotics, and that's mostly because letting that info public causes a lot of pro collectors to start showing up at spots. Myself and most fellow Florida herpers I know love showing out-of-towners around if they can. I don't know the area too too well; but I'm hoping to be at Daytona - Try making a post a little bit closer to the time and I (and others) will probably extend invited to join them for evening roadcruising, etc. around the show.

-Josh
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

-EJ wrote:I misspelled the word... locale.

That time of year there is usually not much to be found road cruising in that area. The park I'm talking about is always good early morning and late afternoon. If it rains it is good all day and is close enough that it will save you a ton of wasted time.
Josh Holbrook wrote:Hey Kevin,

-Josh

Gotcha.
Chris Ivins

Post by Chris Ivins »

I think its almost a complete waste of time.. All the good spots are west and they are all management area's. The FWC patrolls the entire area heavily before, during, and after the Daytona show..
Lloyd Heilbrunn

Post by Lloyd Heilbrunn »

I road cruise near Daytona every year during the show, and I have yet to do well despite good looking areas...

Seems to pour almost every time.
BradB

Post by BradB »

Is Daytona on fire yet? Maybe some of the hotels were burn down and make for some good A/C.
Chris Ivins

Post by Chris Ivins »

Bill and the other guys I hang out with there wont even waste thair time..
Thesee

Post by Thesee »

hahaha Yea thats why I asked Iv tried road crusing around there and such and never turn up much but thankfully my grandmas house is within walking distance of a trail that has been pretty good for herping in the past.
Chris Ivins

Post by Chris Ivins »

If you want to see reptiles in Daytona, stick to the expo..