Best time of day for mid march?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

zwhitman

Best time of day for mid march?

Post by zwhitman »

Hi All

This is my first post to the forum, although I have been lurking for many years. I am a Northeast herper, coming down to herp mecca next week for some camping and hopefully some herp photography. I am going to be at a few different sites mostly outside of Yuma.

My main goal is finding and photographing snakes (any and all species would make me happy). I was wondering what you guys thought would be most productive in terms of time of day/night and which methods (Flipping? road cruising?) for this time of year? I have only been to this area in spring once, many years ago. I found tons of diurnal lizards, but no snakes. Hopefully this trip will be a bit more productive.

Any and all advise is appreciated! Thanks!
Fundad

Re: Best time of day for mid march?

Post by Fundad »

Depends on the weather, and target species..

Fundad
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

The Yuma area is the lowest elevation and arguably the hottest area of the state. Lizards will probably be plentiful, but if you're only interested in snakes, I'd say they may be hard to find this time of year. I'd try flipping artificial cover, if you can find any, in the mornings, and maybe montane areas the rest of the day. Otherwise, I'd stick to the lizards.

Terry ;)
zwhitman

Post by zwhitman »

Thanks for the info.

I figured that since it was so early in the season, the hotter areas might be better. Is that area just not good for snakes period? Or just not this time of year? One of the places I was planning on visiting is a little bit farther north, on the border of La Paz and Yuma county. Do you think I would have better luck up there, or about the same?
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

I would think conditions and species would be similar, but Yuma has some sandy areas and a few different species.

Terry
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Depends on the weather, and target species..

Fundad

I ll "say it again" Depends on the weather and target species...

You might get more help if you narrowed it down for people to help you..

Fundad
zwhitman

Post by zwhitman »

I wasn't kidding when I said that anything would make me happy. Since I have never found a snake in AZ, they are all on the list. Huge highlights would be kings and boas, but crots, and subterranean stuff would be sweet as well.

Weather seems like it has been 80s during the day and mid 50's at night for the past few weeks. Not sure about any recent precipitation. I was thinking that late mornings and just after sunset would probably give me my best chances. Do you think that its too cold for night hikes to turn up any nocturnal stuff (lizards too)?

I appreciate all the help. New field guide arrived today, just in the nick of time, so I have some reading to do on the drive. I will be sure to post pics (and a more official introduction) when I get back.
rosy-man

Post by rosy-man »

travel along the canal roads from yuma to winterhaven to lake martinez kings and atrox are already moving gl check out the 95 too its pretty good
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

zwhitman wrote:I wasn't kidding when I said that anything would make me happy. Since I have never found a snake in AZ, they are all on the list. Huge highlights would be kings and boas, but crots, and subterranean stuff would be sweet as well.

Weather seems like it has been 80s during the day and mid 50's at night for the past few weeks. Not sure about any recent precipitation. I was thinking that late mornings and just after sunset would probably give me my best chances. Do you think that its too cold for night hikes to turn up any nocturnal stuff (lizards too)?

I appreciate all the help. New field guide arrived today, just in the nick of time, so I have some reading to do on the drive. I will be sure to post pics (and a more official introduction) when I get back.

Most like to help, but I need to remind that we also try to protect herps and habitats in the AZ Chapter. Our general policy is to keep from giving specific info on localities, such as names of roads or locations of animals, especially herps that draw a lot of attention from "grabbers and hoarders." Some of these herps are certain crotes and boas, etc. So, if you do find some of these, post photos, but not exact locales. Also, waiting for a time when it doesn't draw a lot of attention to something sweet is better. Sometimes newcomers aren't familiar with these sentiments. We'd appreciate that and best of luck...

:beer: Terry
zwhitman

Post by zwhitman »

Well its bee a crazy few weeks since I got back from my trip, but I finally have a few minutes to post. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped out both on the post and with private messages, that was awesome. We had an awesome time.

Start off with the highlight of the trip... Almost stepped right on this little guy.

This was the view from my tent, and the patch nose above was found on this hillside.

Also found tons of cool lizards, here are a few of the ones I was able to get close enough to get pics of.

What kind of animal makes these awful cholla nests inside caves? I am assuming some sort of pack rat?

All in all we saw 8 species of herps, tons of birds, and a few mammals (no big horn though :( and most importantly, no people! Thanks again for helping out a foreigner you don't even know. If anyone is ever planning a trip to northern colorado in the next year, or the southern NY state area anytime after next summer, hit me up. On my way over to the main forum to post a more official introduction.

Cheers
Zach
Biker Dave

Post by Biker Dave »

Zach

1. Western Patchnose Snake
3. Chuckwalla Female
4. Desert Spiny Lizard male
5. Side Blotched LIzard
6. Pack Rat midden (may have been the home of a herp though if the rats were "evicted" - or eaten!)

Welcome to Arizona!

Dave Weber
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Congrats on a fun trip Zack..

Terry