2011 Tejon Ranch Trips

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

todd battey

2011 Tejon Ranch Trips

Post by todd battey »

We have several trips planned to the Tejon Ranch Conservancy, a 270,000-acre preserve that includes a variety of habitats where the Sierra Nevada, the Mojave Desert, the Transverse Ranges, and the Central Valley meet. It is a fascinating area to visit and the Conservancy has welcomed our citizen science efforts to continue to document the reptiles and amphibians of the area. Tentative destinations are mentioned below, but subject to change based on weather conditions. The dates are as follows:

The planned April 9, 2011 visit was cancelled/postponed due to cold temperatures and rain/snow. We planned to visit acquisition areas on the San Joaquin Valley side of the Ranch, where boards were deployed last year. This area has Blunt-nosed Leopard Lizards, San Joaquin Coachwhips, and many other herps. We may try to reschedule a visit to this area on a weekend after the May 7 trip.

1) April 17 (Sun), 2011. We are planning to visit the southeastern corner of the Ranch on the edge of the Antelope Valley to see if we can document Desert Tortoise among other things. We will probably also hit the acquisition areas on the AV side, where some boards were placed last year and there are some nice Joshua tree woodlands and a few ponds. The wildflowers should be good.

2) May 7 (Sat), 2011. We plan to visit Blue Ridge in the high country where we have some carpet to check for the usual mid- to high-elevation suspects. And we'll have more opportunities for wildflowers.

These trips are open to members of the California Chapter of NAFHA on a first come, first served basis. If you are interested and ready to commit to one or more dates, please send me a PM with your full name and contact information (phone number and/or e-mail), the date(s), and the number of people in your party. No need to contact me if you are not confident that you can attend. So far we have not had to turn people away from these trips, but space is limited. Attendees are required to sign a liability waiver before entering the Ranch.

A summary of our initial involvement with the Tejon Ranch Conservancy is available here:
http://www.nafha.org/california-chapter ... onservancy

The website of the Conservancy is available here:
http://www.tejonconservancy.org/

Don't miss out on these opportunities to visit this very unique area.

Todd

jonathan

Re: 2011 Tejon Ranch Trips

Post by jonathan »

Awesome Todd - you know I'm over here, but I really wish I could make all three trips. Flipping boards is funner than laying them, and I'd be really excited about that higher elevation stuff.

Nature Nate

Post by Nature Nate »

Will there be formal carpool arrangements or do I need to find my own ride?

HerperBrewer

Post by HerperBrewer »

Hey guys, I would be very interested in this trip but I am not sure about the requirements for attendance. I have spent quite a while on this forum, but I have not posted too much since the crash and I have not met anybody in person. I figure that there is a first time for everything and it might as well be on one of these group trips. What do I need to do to be eligible for this trip?

I love the Tejon Ranch, my mother was born there and I have spent quite a bit of time there, so I know how beautiful it is. This is one opportunity that I would love to be a part of.

RockRatt

Post by RockRatt »

Todd, I shot you a PM. I am interested in two of the dates. Let me know. Thanks Rich You should still have my cell number, if not I think I put it in the PM. Thanks again Rich

todd battey

Post by todd battey »

Nate,
Carpooling is up to attendees to work out, but feel free to post here to find driver/passengers.

HerperBrewer,

Here are the steps to join a NAFHA chapter as I understand them.

1. Register at the Field Herp Forum (FHF), which you have already done.

2. Register at NAHerp, and include your FHF forum user name in your NAHerp profile or just use the same name for both, which is easier for everyone. Don Becker (psyon) is still taking care of all the membership administrative tasks, and he needs a way to link the NAHerp and FHF accounts.

3. Once you have both accounts both places, send a PM to the president of California (that's Kent Van Sooy, not AHH-nold) with your user name(s), and he'll take it from there.

Kent or Don, feel free to correct these steps if necessary.

Rich,
I got your PM and have you down for the 2nd and 3rd trips. Let me know about your offspring.

jimoo742

Post by jimoo742 »

I'm a CA NAFHA member and would like to take part in the 4/9 survery. Resume, etc can be provided (please pm for email). I'll be in long beach it looks like on 4/8 (I'm a bay area resident).

Thanks.

jim

Jeff Lemm

Post by Jeff Lemm »

Matty and I are down for Sat., Apr 9 if there is still room

RobertH

Post by RobertH »

That's good news, Jeff. I will be there with Nicholas, too. :thumb:

Robert

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

I'm gonna try for the 17th. jim

Jason Mintzer

Post by Jason Mintzer »

Anyone want to carpool this Saturday (4/9)? I live in Anaheim right off the 5.

todd battey

Post by todd battey »

Everyone who indicated they want to go on the April 9 Tejon Ranch trip and provided contact information should have received an e-mail with instructions where and when to meet. The list has been handed off to the TR Conservancy, so the attendance is set. We'll be visiting several areas on the San Joaquin Valley side of the Ranch, with the details depending on the weather. See you there.

If you let me know that you wanted to go but did not get an e-mail from me, please e-mail or PM me immediatedly.

Todd

todd battey

Post by todd battey »

We pulled the plug on the April 9 trip due to very low temps in the area. Everyone who signed up for the trip has been notified. Conditions look more promising for our trip to the Antelope Valley side of the Ranch next weekend on April 17. We plan to add a date or two in May to hit some of the areas in prime conditions.

Hoping for a warm up.

Todd

todd battey

Post by todd battey »

Everyone who indicated they want to go on the April 17 Tejon Ranch trip and provided contact information should have received an e-mail with instructions where and when to meet. The list has been handed off to the TR Conservancy. We'll be visiting several areas on the Antelope Valley (Mojave Desert) side of the Ranch. See you there.

If you let me know that you wanted to go but did not get an e-mail from me, please e-mail or PM me immediatedly.

Todd

todd battey

Post by todd battey »

The current plan is to shift the TR trip to the Blue Ridge high country to May 15 due to the late arrival of spring. It was originally scheduled for May 7. It's only 8 days later, but the timing should be better. Not all the roads have been re-openned yet. Please send me a PM if you are interested in the new date for Blue Ridge and let me know how many in your group and provide names.

I have not yet been able to schedule a trip to the boards at acquisition areas in the San Joaquin Valley portion of the Ranch. The next available weekend date is May 22, but I'm concerned that would be too late. If anyone from the Central Valley has an opinion on whether boards would be likely to produce snakes that late, please comment. I might try to schedule a weekday trip in the next few weeks. If you might be interested in a Wednesday trip to TR Ranch, please drop me a PM.

Todd

RobertH

Post by RobertH »

I am just wondering: Are there going to be any more Tejon Ranch surveys this year (e.g., in June)?

todd battey

Post by todd battey »

Robert,

We do not currently have any dates pinned down for other trips to TR this year. The soonest would be fall.

The 2 trips we did, April 17 and May 15, took a lot of planning and replanning. We were repeatedly foiled by the weather. As you know the May trip conditions included mist most of the day with a few snow flurries. We perservered, checking AC and rocks, and placing more AC. Despite the lousy conditions or because of them, we found a batch of Tehachapi Slender Salamanders (B. stebbinsi), a first for our many outings and at a new locality higher than this species has been documented and in a slightly different vegetation association. We also managed 3 snakes, despite the grim conditions: Northern Pacific Rattlesnake, Striped Whipsnake, and a Gophersnake. I entered my pictures and data into the NAFHA database. Everyone else who attended, please do the same.

Is anyone going to post a few pictures from the May 15 trip? Brian? Mike? Anyone? If not, I'll get around to it....eventually.

Todd

jonathan

Post by jonathan »

That's very good news on the Tehachapi slenders. And is that the first striped whip you guys have found on the ranch? I know we didn't see any on any of the trips I was on.