Official Rock Creek/Columbia Gorge Trip

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

AndyO'Connor

Official Rock Creek/Columbia Gorge Trip

Post by AndyO'Connor »

When: Thursday April 29th - Sunday May 1st
A couple of us might be down there by Thursday evening, but officially, the meeting starts Friday afternoon.

Where: Columbia River Gorge, Rock Creek area.

Why: Our goal would be to find evidence of Lampropeltis zonata as a verified range extension of their limited known residence in Washington state. Plenty of other herps should be seen in the area, so even if we don't succeed in our goal, it's not like we won't see anything else.

Some things to remember: This time of year can see just about any type of weather down there, so there is a chance of the trip being postponed if it's extremely cold and wet leading up to that weekend. Also in accordance with that, pack for Washington spring weather. This is going to be considered a N.A.F.H.A. event, so everyone will conduct themselves with a professional manner if we meet any L.E. or anything, they are just doing there job and any of them that stops us because we look like herpers is just trying to protect the kingsnakes. Collecting isn't normally allowed on N.A.F.H.A. events, but since it's Wa. state, it's not allowed anyways, and besides, everything we will find is rather inexpensive (cheaper than the trip will cost in gas) to buy, so please don't come expecting to fill snake bags and deli cups on this trip.

There are a few free and or cheap camping spots down there, I figured Jeremiah had a spot in mind, bring your own food and drinks, and whatever you need for overnight camping in possible cold damp weather.

This should be fun, I am looking forward to getting together with some new and old faces!
M Wolverton

Re: Official Rock Creek/Columbia Gorge Trip

Post by M Wolverton »

Change of plans on our part. We just postponed our trip to SC, so I am open for any of those weekends.
Jeremiah_Easter

Post by Jeremiah_Easter »

Thanks for changing the date to this weekend guys. I can't wait to get out there and have a good time hanging with you all. I plan to scout the area out early for a good camping site.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

It works for me, but let's see what everyone else says. I know that it works better for TravisK, I will prompt Mack and Josh to chime in, and Casey was probably only coming down for a single day anyways, but I will check with him too.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

I have officially changed the dates to the last weekend of April, the 29th, 30th, and May 1st. Still waiting to see if anyone else can't do that, but it sounds like a majority of the original group will make it, and there are no holidays or anything that conflict with that weekend. I have sent out PMs requesting that everyone confirm if they are coming in this post.
LMeade

Post by LMeade »

I would love to come on this trip, but unfortunately I won't be able to make it due to prior commitments. Maybe next time. Happy herping!
M Wolverton

Post by M Wolverton »

That date sounds good, I'll plan on being there.
Casey Lazik

Post by Casey Lazik »

April 29th - May 1st 8-)
TravisK

Post by TravisK »

:?: Hmmmmm, I will see if I can swing those dates. My son turns 6 on the 1st of May so I will need to play the right angle in order to get 'permission'. But I am in desperate need of 'me time' so it is more likely than not that I will be able to make.

So, it's a strong maybe from me. :?
Joshua Wallace

Post by Joshua Wallace »

I shall be there
narumk07

Post by narumk07 »

I am not going to be able to make it to this outing :( , maybe if there's a trip in Oct. or another time.
kevin
Van

Post by Van »

I will be there. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
TravisK

Post by TravisK »

Just found out this weekend that I am the head coach for my sons 4yr-K soccer team... y e a h...

So due to that and the fact that 3 out of 4 of my offspring are having birthdays between the 10th of April and the 1st of May I will not be able to attend this trip. :(
Chris Mac Donald

Post by Chris Mac Donald »

rock on!!!! I'm all in see ya all down there!!!! :beer:
Lyle

Post by Lyle »

Is this meeting open to anyone on the forum? I would love to help in the search if I can get those days off work. I'm sure my herping and drinking skills would be of great value to the cause.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

Yes. Since I have still failed to actually put together the NW member list and send it to Don, I can't tell who's a member right now anyways. If you haven't already registered on naherp.com, You should do so, so that any finds you make can be tracked.
Lyle

Post by Lyle »

Cool. I should be able to make it for at least one night since I always have sundays off. I will try to get the others off as well. Where is everyone meeting up at? Should I be getting someone's phone # so I can call when I'm in the area?
Jeremiah_Easter

Speaking of camping, I could use some help looking into this. It looks like most of the canyon is private land and there are only a few areas that are state held or federally held. Anyone know the legalities of camping on state and federal land in WA?

If anyone can take a look into possible camping areas in Rock Creek, please do so and post what you discover here on the forum.
Dman

Post by Dman »

Jeremiah_Easter

Dman, that's looks very promising. I found another free camping website that listed the same place. Its not in the canyon section that has what looks to be the prime zonata habitat, but it may be our best option.
Van

Post by Van »

This will be my first N.A.F.H.A. meet, so I could use some coaching. Where will be the official gathering site? What is the normal format of the meet? If someone is willing to coach me my email address is "[email protected]".
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

We will post an official meeting spot and time when we decide on one LOL. As far as it being an official NAFHA meet, basically that means we will conduct ourselves with respect, not collect, not misrepresent N.A.F.H.A., etc. It's all in the bilaws. Since Washington is a no collection state anyways, it's pretty easy for us to be used to many of the rules. We will basically be herping and having a good time, it's still just as fun and relaxed as a normal camping trip, but someone will record data, and we will put our finds in the data base, etc.
Jeremiah_Easter

Yes, it will be pretty laid back Van. We expect everyone to be respectful of the law and for the atmosphere to be family friendly. My vote is for us to use the Rock Creek boat launch camping site as I don't have any other leads. There are plenty of great looking camping sites in the canyon, but Its difficult to tell what is private and what is not. The canyon is not very big and it is usually pretty deserted. If you show up and are unsure of where to meet, I suggest just driving the length of the dirt road and looking for vehicles. That will probably be us.
Rick Staub

Post by Rick Staub »

Jeremiah -- is there any habitat there that looks like it could support zonata? I drove up it once and did not see anything that wasn't open grassland with a very narrow riparian zone. I would presume that further up the canyon there might be a transition zone that would be nice, but it seemed like it was way upstream.
Jeremiah_Easter

Its not very far up to good habitat. How far up did you drive? It transitions pretty quickly into habitat on both sides of the road that looks like Cathrine Creek. There are rubber Boas in there too.

If zonata ever ranged further east in the gorge than they do now (and I suspect they did during periods of cooler climate), then it would be likely that isolated pockets remain in side canyons that have appropriate transition habitat. Anyway, I've been all over that area, and if anyone was going to try to extend the known range of zonata in WA I would send them to Rock Creek. It looks good to me.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

Oh I would like to see a Rubber boa while we're down there, that would be a treat. I can't wait for this trip, it'll be my first herping all year, a very late start compared to last year.
Rick Staub

Post by Rick Staub »

No doubt they were more wide spread and likely further up the canyon. I will have to take a closer look next time I am fishing the Deschutes River. You should plan your next trip, after you find them at Rock Cr :), to the Blue Mtns.
M Wolverton

Post by M Wolverton »

Have there been any sightings in UNF? I know a few people who have done a bunch of work up there and others who used to hunt up there a lot. None mentioned anything like that, but they all seem to have seen a lot of rubber boas.
Joshua Wallace

Post by Joshua Wallace »

I am getting so pumped for this trip. I can't wait to go herping again with everyone. Although I will be bummed that our former resident Sasquatch can't make it. The habitat around there does look super good for the potential of Zonata, all of the other gorge species occurs in the general vacinity. Since I live in Enumclaw now I can't wait for this summer and going over the mountain to look for them a little bit further north in the Tieton area. Lets all hit the canyon hard, and with respect for the area and NAFHA rules. Lets go guys!
M Wolverton

Post by M Wolverton »

Weather Underground says a high of 56 for the week (through Friday) with most days being overcast and cool. It isn't looking too hot.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

I think Saturday is supposed to warm/clear up, and they have had a few days in the 60s and lots of rain, so I think most of the snakes are near the surface already, it might just make it uncomfortable for us to herp in, but I don't think it will have a huge impact on productivity considering the crappy cold spring we've had. The thing that has been bothering me is the colder than usual overnight temps still often being in the low 30s.
Jeremiah_Easter

Shockingly cold spring. I am really surprised at the weather this year. If it warms up just a bit, the rock turning could be fantastic. I'm with Andy, most reptiles should be up for the year, especially after this last warm Saturday we had. If the temps stay cool that means we will have long days of good conditions for rock turning, but we will need some sun.

Some of my most productive days of flipping have been during late spring weather like this, but it will not make for the most comfortable camping. Is everyone still a go?

@Andy, I don't think the lows have been too low to make it unproductive. Freezing, or just below freezing the night before rock turning hasn't seemed to affect productivity for me.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

I think the productivity will be fine, though some sunshine will help, I just was saying what you mentioned about camping being not human friendly. I am still a go, already took friday off from work. Sounds like josh might not make it, he could only get Saturday off, and Casey will likely only make it for Sunday morning, if it all, do to personal reasons.

After that night in the Land Cruiser near Shasta where we pulled over for the night and temps were in like the 20s, and a couple of times I've slept in vehicles overnight in the 15-30 range, as long as it's not that cold, I am ok, and I am one of the whiniest, least cold tolerant herpers I know of, so I don't think anyone else should back out for that reason.
Dman

Post by Dman »

Andy,
Near the surface is correct. But I don't know about how far from hibernaculums snakes will be found. Nate and I went out this last weekend and found 3 hibernaculums with plenty of Crotes, Racers, and Pits hanging around them. But found nothing else away from the hibernaculums except a Crote and a few Wanderings and Ordinoides.
Joshua Wallace

Post by Joshua Wallace »

Hey Guys,

I am still working on what my plan is for the trip. I was only able to get Saturday off from work, so I might be able to make it down for the day on Saturday. If the latest forecast holds the weather should be pretty good for flipping. I hope I can make it down.
M Wolverton

Post by M Wolverton »

Weather Underground forecast is a high of 56 for Saturday.
Jeremiah_Easter

Guys - I'm in either way since I will be driving the family out to Zillah to visit grandma anyway, but it is true, that the weather looks crappy. It all depends on how much sun the area gets. I guess we'll have to wait and see and hope for the best. I will be heading out Friday morning to Zillah, then on to Rock Creek. I'll probably try to camp at the Boat Launch. Hope to see you guys there. My mobile is 206-403-5308 for those of you who would like to connect.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

I need to find a ringneck in washington, and it looks like perfect conditions for them, so I am looking forward to the weather. Mack and I are heading out early Friday, and I think we will have great flipping opportunities, everyone just needs to pack for cool wet weather and hope for the best.
Jeremiah_Easter

Andy - I'll call you guys from the road so we can connect. I am heading out early Friday too.
M Wolverton

Post by M Wolverton »

I'll be headed out early Saturday morning.

Friday looks miserable, 20% chance of rain and a high of 52 (good day to find snot lizards). Saturday is still 56 and partly cloudy, so we should get some sun. Sunday is the best bet with 62 and partly cloudy.
Jeremiah_Easter

I am finding much better temperature reports using weather.com In fact weather underground is giving conflicting information when looking at the same station at separate times. I think Friday will be fine.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

I've been seeing that the whole time too but just assumed what Mike saw was either a different station, or we could go by the worst report possible and be pleasantly surprised :beer:
Jeremiah_Easter

Weather.com lists both Friday and Satarday as being over 60 and partly cloudy to sunny for the Roosevelt, WA station. That seems like prime spring flipping weather to me, I'm getting excited.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

Mack and I will be on the road by 6:30 most likely (unless something unexpected were to happen) and we are taking I-90 east then heading south from Ellensburg. Give me a call or email me or PM me here, I'll have my "smart" phone with me.
Jeremiah_Easter

sounds good, I probably won't hit the road until 9:00am, have to make one stop in Zillah, so I probably won't be in the canyon until 3pm.
AndyO'Connor

Post by AndyO'Connor »

I guess we will just find somewhere to poke around...
TravisK

Post by TravisK »

I am jealous you guys are out having fun with out me. Right now in Spokane it is snowing and the visibility is about 0.5 miles. Have fun, and I hope the weather is good for you guys.

Cheers,

Travis K
Lyle

Post by Lyle »

I was going to go so I could get out of the house for a while, but it looks like I'm gonna be spending my weekend on the we(s)t side of the mountains. Good luck to you guys.
David Hardesty

Post by David Hardesty »

Hopefully I can head out there tomorrow, I am headed off to 1 of the 2 baseball games I have to coach now. Good luck to you out there.
narumk07

Post by narumk07 »

Good luck. Post some pics from the trip when you get back