Danish herps from the last couple of days

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Mourits

Danish herps from the last couple of days

Post by Mourits »

My fieldherping friend, Mathias Holm has visited me in the last few days.. Which means lots of fieldherping! ;)

Species list from his stay here:

Natrix natrix
Zootoca vivipara
Pelophylax kl. esculentus
Rana temporaria
Rana arvalis
Pelobates fuscus
Bufo bufo
Bufo variabilis
Triturus cristatus
Lissotriton vulgaris

Pictures:

First, nesting Cygnus olor:

One out of about 4 Natrix natrix we found, this one during the day on the Island of Amager.
This one acted like a cobra, striking and everything. Not a normal behavior for a Natrix natrix:

Mathias photographing it:

We found a lot Zootoca vivipara around my house, including around 8 individuals below a piece of wood, one of them was melanistic:

Pelophylax kl. esculentus, this one from Amager:

Bufo variabilis, a common species in my neighbourhood:

Mathias photographing one:

Best of all; Pelobates fuscus an amazing little frog/toad species, first time we've ever observed adults :thumb: :

Mulebrother

Re: Danish herps from the last couple of days

Post by Mulebrother »

Nice post... I really like the close ups of the variabilis...your photos are tack sharp!

Blue Smaggie

Post by Blue Smaggie »

Those are some really nice pics. I envy you for that shot of the melanistic viviparous lizard and the spadefoots. I have not managed to find any spadefoots yet. I know a breeding pond where I discovered 10 calling males in early April, but they were underwater and I was busy with counting rana dalmatina spawn. But I might go back there as soon as it starts to rain.
I also love the green toad pics. I haven't seen any this year so far, because April was way too dry and many temporary ponds have already dried out, which is really bad for the greens and the natterjacks. As much as I love this summer like weather I would rather appreciate lots of rain right now.

How many different herp species can be found in Denmark?

J.Janssen

Post by J.Janssen »

Those are really nice photos! The melanistic viviparous lizard is stunning!

Mourits

Post by Mourits »

Thanks guys! :D

Species native to Denmark:

Vipera berus
Natrix natrix
Anguis fragilis
Zootoca vivipara
Lacerta agilis

Rana temporaria
Rana arvalis
Rana dalmatina
Pelophylax kl. esculentus
Pelophylax ridibundus
Bufo bufo
Bufo calamita
Bufo variabilis
Hyla arborea
Bombina bombina
Pelobates fuscus
Lissotriton vulgaris
Triturus cristatus
Ichthyosaura alpes

Possible Coronella austriaca too, somewhere in a northwestern jutish heathland, not impossible certainly.
Coronella austriaca, Zamenis longissimus and Emys orbicularis are- as far as known, extinct in Denmark, but some people claim to have seen them in recent times.

Blue Smaggie:

The melanistic vivipara is actually the third one I've seen in the nature, maybe they are more common in Denmark?

You don't necessarily need to wait for rain, I thought they were really hard to, and only possible to find in a few very dark and rainy nights during the spring. But we found 11, and heard a lot of calling, at around 11-12 pm. on a totally dry night and we have not had more than a little bit rain for several weeks.! :shock: 8-)

Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

Mourits, once again, great post! Bufo variabilis is spectacular!

-Mike

vincemartino

Post by vincemartino »

Superb photography!

Mathias Holm

Post by Mathias Holm »

Nice pictures, Mourits!

Here are my pictures:

Blue Smaggie

Post by Blue Smaggie »

Mourits wrote: The melanistic vivipara is actually the third one I've seen in the nature, maybe they are more common in Denmark?
There could be a possibility that melanistic vivparous lizarda are more common in Denmark. I've seen a picture of another melanistic lizard on a German board and it was also from Denmark. I might have to check the literature to see if melanisim is common in Germany or not.
Mourits wrote: You don't necessarily need to wait for rain, I thought they were really hard to, and only possible to find in a few very dark and rainy nights during the spring. But we found 11, and heard a lot of calling, at around 11-12 pm. on a totally dry night and we have not had more than a little bit rain for several weeks.! :shock: 8-)
I still believe that it is way too dry over here. I live in one of the warmest regions in Germany. We had 29°C today. From my obersvations during the last two years they come out when it is warm and wet. When the conditions are right, they can be found in the ponds from April to June. When it rains I often find them roaming around on the streets in my neighbourhood at night ... even in warm October nights.
At the moment there are no individuals in the ponds, no spawn and no males calling from hideouts during daytime.

Mourits

Post by Mourits »

Thanks guys! :D

Blue Smaggie:

The melanistic vivipara's could possibly be more common at certain locations, based on the fact that two of the melanistic lizards I've seen are found at exactly the same spot (I'm sure that it's not the same individual, the first one I saw was bigger than the second.) and the third lizard was found only a few kilometers away from the two others.

You are probably right, my experience in finding adults is limited to a single night ;)
I wish you good luck in finding garlic toads this spring too! Btw.; the fact that you can find them in your neighbourhood makes me really jealous! :P

Blue Smaggie

Post by Blue Smaggie »

Mourits wrote: The melanistic vivipara's could possibly be more common at certain locations, based on the fact that two of the melanistic lizards I've seen are found at exactly the same spot (I'm sure that it's not the same individual, the first one I saw was bigger than the second.) and the third lizard was found only a few kilometers away from the two others.
That could be a good possibility. I just had a look at my book collection and realized that I did order a book about the vivparous lizard last year. I will do some reading this afternoon to check out if the melanistic forms are common in some regions of Germany, too.
Mourits wrote:
I wish you good luck in finding garlic toads this spring too! Btw.; the fact that you can find them in your neighbourhood makes me really jealous! :P
Thanks, I actually got really lucky and found one garlic toad last night. I was first dissapointed when I only heard two males calling in the middle of the pond but after about 60 minutes I encountered one garlic toad on its way to the pond. I was extremely happy to find it.

Mourits

Post by Mourits »

Congratulations on your finding!
I'm going to the same fuscus locality this night too, hope I'll find some toads in amplexus! ;)