California, Pt 2 of 2

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

kcmatt

California, Pt 2 of 2

Post by kcmatt »

Then we moved around quite a bit. We saw another 10 chucks or so the next morning. Caught a couple of them along with a spiny imposter. Also saw an iguana, but planned to hunt them in earnest later so we didn't get a shot.

Then visited the mountains for a short time

Every stream was swollen as expected. My son loved crossing on fallen trees like this one.

We saw Elgaria, Thamnophis, Scelops and a Charina shed

Elgaria coerulea palmeri

Thamnophis couchii

Some of the herps from that night, a fun 20+ snake night

Finally the realm of deserticola, one of several

The next day spent some time in the mountains again

Pituophis catenifer catenifer

My son found this one, it was pretty deep as were others, and we left it to see if it would come closer later in the day; it didn't but on his insistence we took a shot and got it to a place for a quick shot for his growing records

Plestiodon gilberti rubricaudatus

Have to love the wide white...

Coluber lateralis lateralis

Coluber constrictor mormon

And here are some shots from the rest of the trip. Cooler temps kept our opportunities for new species dampened, and although evening produced over 20 snakes again (almost all of which were un-photoed as I had already taken shots of them), the day was too cool for the remaining targets we had. Unfortunate that it was the period when my brother and his boys joined us but my son and I couldn't complain about the success of the overall trip.

Rhinocheilus lecontei

Hit but still very alive Hypsiglena
Hypsiglena chlorophaea deserticola

Chionactis occipitalis annulata, we kept finding these in the process of dying or already DOR, about half dozen of them

Chionactis occipitalis occipitalis found by BH, BTW Bob, found that sheet and will send to you...

Arizona acting normally

And here is a representative shot of my son's main target, of which we found many. Exactly the kind of trip I wanted to give my son for his first. I have to admit, I was a little worried about the staying power of youth, but I was extremely impressed and proud.

Our species list, compiled with my son so they are limited to common names. He was somewhat obsessed with the extremely likely prospect of finding a “new species.” BH referencing one fueled that fire more. In the end he added the one new species to this list that we found (not pictured). It makes him laugh hysterically.

California Kingsnake
San Diego Mountain Kingsnake
Sierra Mountain Kingsnake
San Diego Gopher Snake
Pacific Gopher Snake
Great Basin Gopher Snake
Mojave Shovelnose Snake
Colorado Desert Shovelnose Snake
Spotted Leafnose Snake
Mojave Glossy Snake
Desert Glossy Snake
Western Yellow-bellied Racer
California Racer
Western Coachwhip (DOR)
Longnose Snake
Desert Nightsnake
Baja California Lyresnake
Coastal Rosy Boa
Mojave Sidewinder
Colorado Desert Sidewinder
Speckled Rattlesnake
Sierra Garter Snake
Dropping Snake, Yuckus jaydanus

Sierra Alligator Lizard
Southern Alligator Lizard
Great Basin Fence Lizard
Southern Sagebrush Lizard
Western Sagebrush Lizard
Desert Spiny Lizard
Long-nosed Leopard Lizard
Zebra-tailed Lizard
Common Chuckwalla
Desert Iguana
Desert Banded Gecko
Coronado Skink
Skilton's Skink
Red-tailed Skink
Great Basin Whiptail
Western Side-blotched Lizard

California Toad

Red-eared Slider

For the fishermen, the quick obligatory OT, a few from after our trip-- from a short work trip to eastern WA and last night locally

The beautiful Columbia River Redband Trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss gairdnerii

As expected, the river here was raging also, more than twice its normal size

Bull Trout, Salvelinus confluentus

A double-- bluegill took a trail fly meant for pickier bass

My second oldest's first float tube outing
Jeff Lemm

Re: California, Pt 2 of 2

Post by Jeff Lemm »

Great stuff Matt, glad it all worked out for you guys. Next time hopefully I won't be so busy and we get better weather!
Rick Staub

Post by Rick Staub »

Great stuff Matt. Noticed that a couple of those zonata looked swollen. Had they recently fed or were those gravid females?

Thanks
kcmatt

Post by kcmatt »

Thanks, guys. Jeff, hope we get out with the boys sometime. They would probably out-herp us. Thanks for the weather reports, insider camping info and help at the "airport." Nothing wanted to show itself that afternoon unfortunately.

Rick, all but one of the zonata appeared to have recently fed, some very recently-- was very interesting. None showing gravid bulges. Thanks for the comments. -- Hopefully you appreciate that I only gave you native fish this time! Also had a 15# or so chinook take an egg pattern fly-- fought it for a few minutes before the inevitable loss (4 lb tippett and 5 wt rod). Didn't see the fish until it was on the line though I was wondering if some were in the river at the time.
Rick Staub

Post by Rick Staub »

I appreciate the natives. I do not think I have seen pics of Bull trout before. Looked like browns at first. :(
You likely hooked into a spring run chinook up there. You are right in the middle of their spawning run although they do not actually spawn until Sept-Oct. They come in undeveloped, move quickly up river and hold over all summer. They are great fighters so not surprised your gear was inadequate. :) With 12 lb test they are a challenge. Fight more like steelhead than their fall run cousins. You should target them next time you go there. Hatchery fish can be harvested in many streams and they are great eating.

For where you were, not surprised the zonata are feeding. It is a late year here but even with the cool temp they need to start feeding when they can. I would have been more surprised had they been cycling already as we have had so few warm days. Thanks
kcmatt

Post by kcmatt »

Yes, I was wishing I had brought along a stouter rod about the time of the first head shake-- it did indeed fight more like a steelie, which definitely a good thing.

I was more surprised at the fact that every animal seemed to have eaten that day or the day before. They were pounding down the scelops, probably behind on things with the early dry, then dry plus hot for a time, finally broken by precip. even though cool-- at least that was part of my theory.
kcmatt

Post by kcmatt »

Jay wanted to post some of his pictures

I caught a CHucKAwaIIa :crazyeyes:

I liked finding ROSY ROSY Boas :thumb:

It WAS a awsome Trip :mrgreen:
knox

Post by knox »

That landscape is absolutely gorgeous.

I know not to ask specifics, but being a TN boy and not knowing anything about CA outside of Los Angeles, is that somewhere in Northern Cali? Mid Cali? I know it is not out in the desert...

LOVE the Mountain Kings.
kcmatt

Post by kcmatt »

Thanks for the comments, knox. Not sure which landscape you mean, we ranged throughout So Cal to lower middle CA.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

How many localities of Z did you see, and the totals? (just so I know how many times to bang my head on the wall, per set...I'm guessing 5-10 sets... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: ) KILLER POST... :thumb: jim
knox

Post by knox »

Sorry... The first few landscape shots. Looks like pines in the mountains.
Carl Brune

Post by Carl Brune »

I enjoyed both of your posts. I particularly like the first shot in this one, with your son and a chuck. And also the bull trout.
justinm

Post by justinm »

What a very lucky young man, he had a great adventure. Thanks for sharing it, I'm immensely jealous of some of those finds! You're a heck of a fisherman as well. I'm usually too worn out after herping to do much but eat and sleep, you fish on top of it.
C-Holbrook

Post by C-Holbrook »

Looks like an amazing trip!!! Those Zs were so beautiful.
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

17 years living in San Diego... I never had that kind of success but in that 17 years I also never saw a weather pattern that they had this year. Very nice post.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

I never had that kind of success but in that 17 years I also never saw a weather pattern that they had this year.
About every 4 year we get this pattern.. 2006 was a far wetter and better pattern.. 2009 had a really good pattern too.

Fundad
Steve Atkins

Post by Steve Atkins »

What a trip, nice work Dad :thumb:
-EJ

Post by -EJ »

I left in 2005. I never got to see a desert bloom that I imagine occured this year. I always dreamed of seeing such a thing.
Fundad wrote:
I never had that kind of success but in that 17 years I also never saw a weather pattern that they had this year.
About every 4 year we get this pattern.. 2006 was a far wetter and better pattern.. 2009 had a really good pattern too.

Fundad
rpecora

Post by rpecora »

I enjoyed the whole trip. Thanks for taking us along.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Great mini-series. Thanks for the post.
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Wow, great post, Matt! Love the Chucks and that GB Gopher. :thumb:
kcmatt

Post by kcmatt »

hellihooks, about three depending on how you break them up. Quite a few individuals. Thanks for the comments.

knox, we were up in the mountains in a few different areas-- the ones I think you are referring to are closer to mid.

Thanks, Carl. The kids enjoying herping shots are always my favorites also.

Justin, the fishing on top of herping does overwhelm the balance some times. Thanks for the comments.

C-Holbrook and fox cove, thanks for the comments.

Fundad and EJ, I visited during at least one of those years and would only add that although productive, they can make things more difficult for the out of town visitors with little timing flexibility. Each time we have had some very productive days and some cold and unproductive days-- but such is herping...

rpecora and Josh, thanks for the comments, I appreciate them.

Ross, the GBs are hard to beat, aren't they? Thanks.

If anyone feels inclined, my son keeps looking for replies to his little addition. He has kind of gotten excited about the forum over the last few days and wants to make a post on a few of the finds we've had since getting back.

Brian Eagar

Post by Brian Eagar »

Sweet finds Jay and Matt!

Jay, that's a really cool banded gecko in your photo and I like the habitat shot you were able to snap (probably on the fly as your dad sped to the next locale).
Keep up the good work. You're super lucky to be able to spend some quality time with your dad like that. (I'd say it was the kind of experience one might want to record in a journal...hint..hint).
Fieldherper

Post by Fieldherper »

Hey Matt,

Killer posts and photos, as always. You guys really dominated. Nothing beats herping with your boy. Mine is 3 and has already been on several small excursions. Now when are you going to get over to the CA coast to find some of those z's?

FH (BG)
Casey Lazik

Post by Casey Lazik »

Matt,

That's just an another excellent post we've come to expect from you. As you know, the best part is sharing it with your boys!

Jay, when I was your age, I used to dream about going to California and catching reptiles with my dad. You did great! Thanks for sharing your photos! :thumb:

Casey
Will Wells

Post by Will Wells »

Very cool post, looks like alot of fun. Make me want to get out and herp!!!
kcmatt

Post by kcmatt »

:lol: ;) ThanK YOU, Brian :thumb: :crazyeyes: :mrgreen: -Jay
kcmatt

Post by kcmatt »

Thank YOU, Casey I Read The ScriptureS To Earn It - JAY* :thumb: :) :)
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Jay,
It's seeing stuff you young guys do, and post, that assures me that the next up-coming generation will be even better than us old guys around today (though you have some of the biggest shoes around to fill, with Matt as your Dad... :crazyeyes: )
As Ca's Ed Coordinator, I've been trying (for a while now) to get a 'Kid's Korner' forum started, where young herpers like you can share stuff with other young herpers nationwide.
My kids are all grown, but here's a young herping buddy of mine (Nicholas) who between him and his dad have over 400 data entries, and Nic takes much better pics than most of us adults (including me... :oops: )
Maybe your Dad will join me in my campaign to get a Kid's forum up... :thumb: jim
kcmatt

Post by kcmatt »

It SoundS LikE FUn To Be On A Kids Forum Jim :!: - jay%* :D :thumb: :) :mrgreen:
kcmatt

Post by kcmatt »

ThaNK YOU WiLL :!: -jay%* :D :thumb: :) :mrgreen: 8-)
kcmatt

Post by kcmatt »

Jim, we were just talking about that possibility the other day, and now that you mention it I seem to recall you advocating it in the past. I think it would be great, would give the kids like minds to communicate with, and give them a place to learn at a simpler level (with all 13 emoticons per post that my son likes to use). My only concern would be having a moderator to keep it kid friendly, we're pretty cautious about our boys and the internet. I'm too busy these days to volunteer to give it what it would need in terms of moderation (it takes me days sometimes to reply to posts!) If someone is willing, I would certainly be an advocate of a "Kids' Korner" idea.

Brian, thanks for the comments. Jay really got excited to have someone reply to him.

Ben, herping with the boys really is the best, makes every find better than alone. I have one that just turned four, we'll have to get them in the field together sometime-- maybe on the coast! (although I can't wait that long before doing that trip, wanted to do it this year but didn't work out...). Been really busy (and being deployed to tornado devastated Joplin tomorrow) but will try look at the newer one of what you sent me as soon as a get a few minutes).

Thanks, Casey, I definitely agree. Thanks for the reply to Jay.

Will, appreciate the comments, hope you are getting out!
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

kcmatt wrote:Jim, we were just talking about that possibility the other day, and now that you mention it I seem to recall you advocating it in the past. I think it would be great, would give the kids like minds to communicate with, and give them a place to learn at a simpler level (with all 13 emoticons per post that my son likes to use). My only concern would be having a moderator to keep it kid friendly, we're pretty cautious about our boys and the internet. I'm too busy these days to volunteer to give it what it would need in terms of moderation (it takes me days sometimes to reply to posts!) If someone is willing, I would certainly be an advocate of a "Kids' Korner" idea.
I'd be happy to do that, and have said as much on a new thread I posted on the IBM forum (and probably Main, later) on starting a kid's forum (with excerpts from this thread)... :thumb: jim