Your GPS unit may soon make a nice paperweight

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

FunkyRes

Your GPS unit may soon make a nice paperweight

Post by FunkyRes » June 10th, 2011, 9:35 am

http://www.gpsworld.com/survey/test-dat ... vers-11726
In the past couple of weeks, testing has been taking place in the Las Vegas area. Three towers were set up in Las Vegas and one in Boulder City, NV (a Las Vegas suburb) to broadcast a signal strength equal to that of actual deployment of the LightSquared terrestrial transmitters

The data showed that wide-bandwidth, high-precision GPS receivers started feeling the effects of the LightSquared transmission about 1,800 meters from the tower. Medium-bandwidth high-precision GPS receivers started feeling the effects of the LightSquared transmission at about 1,200 meters from the tower. In each case, there was about a 200 meter buffer from when the GPS receivers started to feel the effects of the LightSquared transmission to the GPS receiver being jammed, at 1,600 meters and 1,000 meters respectively.

When one understands that the density of the 40,000 proposed LightSquared towers is very similar to that of cell phone towers, it’s not difficult to understand the large-scale GPS jamming these towers would cause. Huge urban areas would be essentially blocked from using medium- and high-precision GPS receivers, sub-meter as well as centimeter-level accurate GPS equipment.

Fundad

Re: Your GPS unit may soon make a nice paperweight

Post by Fundad » June 10th, 2011, 9:43 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Fundad

Mike Waters

Post by Mike Waters » June 10th, 2011, 11:57 am

Without GPS I would not be able to find most my favorite boardlines. Not to mention all fundads favorite rockpiles I have saved in there. Haha jk

Fundad

Post by Fundad » June 10th, 2011, 12:05 pm

Not to mention all fundads favorite rockpiles I have saved in there.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Fundad

Don Becker

Post by Don Becker » June 10th, 2011, 12:16 pm

Too much stuff depends on GPS these days. If the towers interfere, they won't be able to use that frequency.

pete

Post by pete » June 10th, 2011, 4:33 pm

What ever happened to actually remembering where your herp spots are? :?

Mike Waters

Post by Mike Waters » June 10th, 2011, 4:54 pm

Um since technology has allowed us to be mentaly lazy

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks » June 10th, 2011, 5:08 pm

I went to a place once... and it wasn't there anymore... :shock: :lol: :lol: jim

guess I'll go try again, tonight... :crazyeyes:

Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs » June 10th, 2011, 6:25 pm

Who needs a gps device? Ever heard of a map...? Paper? Pen? Notes? Mileage? Frickin' lazy people...

Steve Atkins

Post by Steve Atkins » June 10th, 2011, 7:23 pm

This would not effect me in the slightest

Mike Waters

Post by Mike Waters » June 10th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Brian Hubbs wrote:Who needs a gps device? Ever heard of a map...? Paper? Pen? Notes? Mileage? Frickin' lazy people...
Yeah! Whatever. Freaking old people.
hey Hubbs, didn't you fall off your dinosaur once while trying to read a map :lol:

Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs » June 10th, 2011, 8:19 pm

You were probably thinking of my sand board... ;)

ChrisNM

Post by ChrisNM » June 10th, 2011, 8:31 pm

Mike Waters wrote:
Brian Hubbs wrote:Who needs a gps device? Ever heard of a map...? Paper? Pen? Notes? Mileage? Frickin' lazy people...
Yeah! Whatever. Freaking old people.
hey Hubbs, didn't you fall off your dinosaur once while trying to read a map :lol:
Hubbs isn't THAT old...it was a megatherium.

Mark Brown

Post by Mark Brown » June 11th, 2011, 12:41 am

psyon wrote:Too much stuff depends on GPS these days. If the towers interfere, they won't be able to use that frequency.
Yup, including a whole lot of homeland security type stuff. They have the ability to track cell phones through GPS and they aren't likely to let anything happen to change that.

FunkyRes

Post by FunkyRes » June 11th, 2011, 7:33 am

Mark Brown wrote:
psyon wrote:Too much stuff depends on GPS these days. If the towers interfere, they won't be able to use that frequency.
Yup, including a whole lot of homeland security type stuff. They have the ability to track cell phones through GPS and they aren't likely to let anything happen to change that.
That's done by triangulating signal from cell tower, not from satellite.

joeysgreen

Post by joeysgreen » June 12th, 2011, 9:54 am

Maps and all are great, but for data to be most usefull in the future, you can't get better than coordinates that will never change with road construction/rerouting, habitat distruction etc. You can do this accurately with maps, but that's another hobby all in itself and I'd rather spend my efforts towards finding critters.

Ian

Crimson King

Post by Crimson King » June 12th, 2011, 10:49 am

I've been lost since '67 anyway....
:Mark

Jason_Hood

Post by Jason_Hood » June 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

FunkyRes wrote:
Mark Brown wrote:
That's done by triangulating signal from cell tower, not from satellite.

Low end government (police) use triangulation, the folks you don't know are looking at you use satellites. A member of my family worked on the tech for them about 10 years ago which is right after it became standard that all cell phones being sold have GPS capabilities. Guess what, enabling or disabling the GPS feature on your phone does nothing, only taking the battery out works. I got a phone call from the person in my family, we chatted and then he told me everything about the area I was standing in, then he told me he had me on satellite video feed. :shock:

Many credit cards have proximity chips in them that can be read with the correct reader and they work just like a toll pass. The first test of this system was at the Atlanta Olympics, Congress asked that it be evaluated further before being implemented fully in all cards though to be fair that was read/write chips not simple prox. Some of your clothes have prox chips in them, most auto keys on models 96 and newer have them, they are implanting the same prox systems in modern ID's and drivers licenses, they are in all new Passports, and the same with many other items. This invasion of your perceived privacy has already happened and almost nobody fully understands how much data is available about individuals in this country to the people running the country, including me. Even if the worse case scenario has not happened yet (everything tied together and identified as YOU and tracked and monitored) it is soon only going to take someone with the wrong mentality to do so.

All in the name of security...

Jason

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith » June 12th, 2011, 8:34 pm

You know it has gone too far when cops don't even have to leave the desk to give you a ticket. :crazyeyes:

I got a ticket for turning right on a red without making a COMPLETE stop. Minnesota government ruled it was unconstitutional.... a few months too late. $180!

-Chris