New guy-first post

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

bnsf97

New guy-first post

Post by bnsf97 »

Hey everyone! My name's Bennett. I've lived in the Upland/Rancho/Claremont area my whole life, however since last Fall, I'll be spending my school years up at Humboldt State University. Anyone on here from that far north?? Studying Wildlife Mngmt. and Conservation. It'll be my 2nd year at HSU this coming Fall and 4th in college (went to junior college 2 years). Hoping to graduate 5th year. Loving the program and most of all, loving herps! I'll be taking Herpetology this coming Spring. Just started herping since around October. Haven't found much in the way of snakes, but plenty pac tree frogs, western toads, western skinks, slender sallies, ensatinas, black sallies etc. As far as snakes, over the past year or so, had 2 oreganus oreganus', 1 helleri, 1 zonata, and about 5 T.s. infernalis'. OH and my first pyrrhus a few weeks ago out in Joshua Tree! Once I get around to it, I'll put some photos up! Glad to be aboard :D pun intended ;)
hellihooks

Re: New guy-first post

Post by hellihooks »

With that bad of a pun... gotta be an OK guy...Welcome! A. Board. (NOT... :lol: though we do have a Billboard... :thumb: ) jim
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Welcome to the forum.
DMong

Post by DMong »

Great to have ya along for the ride! :mrgreen:

I am pretty new to this forum myself (only four days..LOL!), but have well over 4 decades of extensive herp knowledge to toss around. Colubrids being my main focus and passion, but have also had countless other different types over the years as well.

Anyway, it's always nice to see more people join up! :thumb:

~Doug
bnsf97

Post by bnsf97 »

Thanks guys!! I am so glad I found NAFHA and this forum :D
yolodave

Post by yolodave »

Bennett, as a graduate of Humboldt State University, let me reveal a little secret: Once you are that far north, you're always that far north. It just never leaves your system :)

Welcome, and hope you are finding good stuff in the woods behind the campus.

Dave
bnsf97

Post by bnsf97 »

Dave! Great to hear! Wildlife major?
yolodave

Post by yolodave »

bnsf97 wrote:Dave! Great to hear! Wildlife major?
Absolutely! 1983. Don't ever lose the passion for things wild.
sauceman

Post by sauceman »

Nice to meet you. I am in the South Bay Area which is a lot closer to you than many of the members here. I do know a few members up in Marin County and Sonoma County. Do you get down to the Bay Area at all?
cerbatrosy

Post by cerbatrosy »

Nice to meet ya, I too am an HSU grad..
lotsa salamanders around campus and in the woods..
tons of garters everywhere around there..
you should have a blast up there, I did,
I just wish I woulda spent more time herping there..
bnsf97

Post by bnsf97 »

Sauceman-I have a friend in Daly City, so I come down every few months. It's actually only a 4.5 hr drive. I've yet to explore anything natural in the bay area though! Just lots of buildings and bums :lol:

Cerbatrosy-Awesome! Wildlife as well I'm assuming? Yeah Humboldt is great for salamander diversity! Snakes, not so much. Or i just don't know the spots yet.

Yolodave-Always! I can't wait for a career in wildlife, and hopefully with herps. I had my first research job lined up for this summer in Oregon doing small mammal trapping for a PhD student's research, but he ended up canceling it... :?
cerbatrosy

Post by cerbatrosy »

Yep, Wildlife Management.. '77
the 70's were a good time there..
things were still quaint & old school back then
not only in Arcata, but surrounding towns as well..
Head east towards Bigfoot land for z's..
geckoguy747

Post by geckoguy747 »

hey bennett, it was cool meeting you on the road tonight! find anything else?
josh
bnsf97

Post by bnsf97 »

Same to you Josh! Nah that rosy capped off the night. And like I said, my battery died right before so no vouch pics :( hope some of yours turned out! Anything else for you on your way home?
klawnskale

Post by klawnskale »

Fall, I'll be spending my school years up at Humboldt State University. Anyone on here from that far north?? Studying Wildlife Mngmt. and Conservation. It'll be my 2nd year at HSU this coming Fall and 4th in college (went to junior college 2 years).

Students who graduate from this program will almost always be guaranteed finding work with the Forest Service. Their program is highly regarded and respected. I recently worked with someone who graduated from the same program; he is never without finding some gig with the Forest Service.
geckoguy747

Post by geckoguy747 »

i did find a juvie great basin gopher and a dor lyre on my way home. the lyre would have been a lifer too. :(
bnsf97

Post by bnsf97 »

Klawnscale-That's what I hear, and why I chose Humboldt. I've had a great time in classes so far with professors who care.

Geckoguy-Man, just one of those nights! Goodluck to you on the leaf nose! I think I'm going back out tonight with my cousin. Found that road you talked about on google maps. Will my low-clearance car be ok you think?
geckoguy747

Post by geckoguy747 »

i think it will be ok. the road's in good shape for the most part, maybe a few bigger rocks every now and then. watch out for some of the sandy intersections though.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

As long as it's not my paved road, out in the middle of nowhere... :shock: :roll: :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: Kidding Josh...I know you wouldn't give up my best spots... :D Another Rosy Josh?... DUDE! where was I?... DOH! :lol: :lol: been so long... I forget what rosys look like... :roll: oh well... next time. Try Newberry for your leaf... lots of them, shovels and desert nights. jim
geckoguy747

Post by geckoguy747 »

wait, you mean that paved road is a secret? :lol: of course i didn't give that up! i just pointed him in the direction i'd found a different boa earlier in the night and my lifer speck last week!
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

geckoguy747 wrote:wait, you mean that paved road is a secret? :lol: of course i didn't give that up! i just pointed him in the direction i'd found a different boa earlier in the night and my lifer speck last week!
Congrats on your speck! Orange, Light, or Panamint-looking? All three can be found there... sometimes with one flip... :shock: :D
geckoguy747

Post by geckoguy747 »

that's awesome! mine was pretty light. i'll get pics up soon!