Trip to San Diego soon

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

xxxHERPERxxx

Trip to San Diego soon

Post by xxxHERPERxxx »

Well, I have exactly a month to gather as much information on the herps in the vicinity of san diego and the rest of the county. This is a whole new territory for me, being a L.E.C.H, I'm looking for a warm welcome of bio-diversity!

If you do not wish to dicuss local information on here, please P.M me. I'm all about filming and photographs so no collecting. Would also be nice for someone to post pics of the habitats in San Diego... Thank you

Brandon
sdFH'er

Re: Trip to San Diego soon

Post by sdFH'er »

This is a great site if you haven't already discovered it.

http://www.californiaherps.com/index.html

I'd advise browsing through the species lists and if one piques your interest look at that species' specific page. On that page you will find many pictures of habitat for that particular species. Once you have a better idea of what you'd like to see let us know and maybe I/we can be of further help. Good luck on your trip. How long will you be here for?
xxxHERPERxxx

Post by xxxHERPERxxx »

Thanks alot man! I'll be here for about a week, will be able to herp about 2 days at least. I'll be there around August 14th. What's the activity like that time of year? Has weather been nice?
sdFH'er

Post by sdFH'er »

The activity depends on what species you are looking for. Lately the weather has been a little cool for July so it has been nice. August/September/October tend to be our hotter months so it will limit some species. Any idea what you would like to see?
rparky

Post by rparky »

I would recommend reading Jeff Lemm's excellent book even before you leave.

If there has been any recent major monsoonal moisture, that could make a big difference in what you'll find where it's rained. Any real precipitation on the coast is unusual in the summer, but the mountains and deserts get thunderstorms sometimes. Best to head away from urban and well traveled areas. Try rocky and wooded areas early in the day before it gets hot inland.
Kevin Price

Post by Kevin Price »

Brandon,
Are you looking to go out on your own or with someone from the area/knows the area? San Diego County is very varied in its habitats; from coastal areas up to the mountainous areas and down to the desert areas. What are you looking to see? Anything specific or just general herping?
xxxHERPERxxx

Post by xxxHERPERxxx »

Thanks for the responses guys! I would love actually have a tour guide of some kind to help me out. Anybody who knows the area well and would be willing to show me around would be great!

I'm looking for really anything, from Speckled Rattlesnakes, to possibly Shovel-nosed Snakes...

Whip Snakes, Gopher Snakes, Night Snakes, Glossies, Lyres, Long-nosed Snakes, Any Rattlesnakes would be a wonderful treat.
sdFH'er

Post by sdFH'er »

If your main goal is to see snakes most of those you listed can be found in August if you know where to look. Since you have two days to herp I would advise choosing a certain type of habitat you are interested in and try and see everything you are interested in in that particular habitat versus trying to see a species or two here or there simply because San Diego is a very large county. Once you make a specific list I think we can help a little more.
If you have the ability to go road cruise at night the local deserts may be of great interest to you. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.
billboard

Post by billboard »

I'd sure like to see some of those snakes in August; August is a tough month to see anything, esp. right now, as the temps are low, ( on the coast ) the humidity is low, and the moon is waxing fast. I have quite a few great spots, and usually in an hour or two of cruising on any good august night, 1 or 2 snakes is a good haul. The deserts are to hot right now, but you may see a sidewinder or two.

Have fun; be safe.

Don't stop on a curve.
sdFH'er

Post by sdFH'er »

billboard wrote:I'd sure like to see some of those snakes in August; August is a tough month to see anything, esp. right now, as the temps are low, ( on the coast ) the humidity is low, and the moon is waxing fast.
Haven't even been herping (on purpose anyway) this month and have stumbled across thamnophis, pituophis, and a couple of crotes so theres still plenty out and about. Haven't seen any this year (probably because I haven't looked), but in the past I have had great luck with Lyres in August/September. Not saying August is the best time to go looking, but it is still quite doable. Agreed the deserts are tough this time of year but like you stated cerastes generally aren't too hard to come by and I wouldn't be surprised by a glossy or two if your out late enough.
xxxHERPERxxx

Post by xxxHERPERxxx »

I'm really wanting to hit the desertish habitats, any where I can find rattlesnakes, and snakes found in that habitat. Any really good state parks or similar areas to check out? Someone just PM me for info.