Rain in hot Chicago = movement?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Erik Williams

Rain in hot Chicago = movement?

Post by Erik Williams »

I know it's mid summer and hitting 100f during the day, but has anyone in the heavy rain areas of northeast IL been out looking recently? I'm just wondering if the moisture is enough to pull things out of hiding - it didn't rain for nearly a month before this recent bombardment. I typically take july and august off of herping due to poor returns...
Brandon D

Re: Rain in hot Chicago = movement?

Post by Brandon D »

im in west central mo and I did some early morning flipping 5 am after we had some rain in early july found a beautie phaeogaster and a single arnyi the earth under the rocks was still too dry for the most part, havent been able to road hunt much, we really need some good rain, cant wait for fall :beer:
matt ignoffo

Post by matt ignoffo »

Well, I was out for a bit this morning. It seemed like I was on the verge of finding something the whole time, but instead received the big skunk - except for one Storeria dekayi. I was however in an unfamiliar area looking for a tough snake. Usually this time of year, green snakes can be found, most other stuff will be in the blue and low numbers for sure.
justinm

Post by justinm »

I think the snakes are laying low around me for sure. My yard is showing gopher holes like crazy, and you wouldn't believe how many baby rabbits are out. The bullsnakes aren't feeding right now and things are popping up as a result. It rained lightly two days ago and I had Gray Treefrogs all over the side of the house.