Wild caught albinos???

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

DMong

Re: Wild caught albinos???

Post by DMong »

[quote="Daryl Eby"]Found this affinis/sayi today. Would it be considered hypomelanistic? I've never seen one with this much yellow and red and no black at all.quote]

Wow!!,.that is one STUNNING hypo Daryl!. Not a mild hypo expression either,...more like WILD expression! :beer:

~Doug
SnakeDude

Post by SnakeDude »

loved the gopher, too. I've never even heard of such a beautiful snake (at least not in the U.S.) :mrgreen:
-Ian
Carl Koch

Post by Carl Koch »

SnakeDude

Post by SnakeDude »

:shock: That's shweet! I like the salamander the most...this is one of the most popular threads I've ever seen! cool stuff, too.
-Ian
Gerards

Post by Gerards »

That slider is sweet. I had a hatchling like that.

jdustin

Post by jdustin »

I came across this picture today. It was posted on KS back in 2003 by chrish. Description: "wild caught albino Texas Coral Snake from NE Texas"
Pretty sweet!
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

And if anyone has a picture of the purported albino longnose snake, I would LOVE to see it! I looked through this thread (and had a blast doing so), couldn't find it.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

Kent VanSooy wrote:And if anyone has a picture of the purported albino longnose snake, I would LOVE to see it! I looked through this thread (and had a blast doing so), couldn't find it.
Google image search turns up many for westerns obviously, and a couple for easterns and southerns. The westerns are generally captive bred, but I am not sure about the stories on the other two.
ssssnakeluvr

Post by ssssnakeluvr »

PNWHerper wrote:Never found an albino herp, but did find this guy near Seattle:

Its in situ, on some wind fallen Douglas fir branches. In hindsight, I wish I had kept this animal. It was a nw gartersnake (T. ordinoides) and the only one like it I have ever seen. I remember thinking at the time that this kind of coloration would be an advantage to some extent in the often overcast climate of the PNW. Does make it stand out in the grass a little bit, but it could still hide in the shadows.

It was sunning with other nw gartersnakes with the more usual orange and yellow stripes in all the appropriate places.
I had a melanistic ordinoides that passed away last year...nice w/c male that I got from some friends. unfortunately I never was able to get a female to breed with him
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

Google image search turns up many for westerns obviously, and a couple for easterns and southerns. The westerns are generally captive bred, but I am not sure about the stories on the other two
I think we've got our noses switched Don! :P
Lucas B.

Post by Lucas B. »

Posted this before. Axanthic Western Banded Gecko from the Mojave. :thumb:

jdustin

Post by jdustin »

Not a herp, but what other wild albino can get to 20+ feet in length? So cool.
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/23/al ... ?hpt=hp_c2
mampam

Post by mampam »

I used to work with a man called Seidu Ali who caught animals for the pet trade in Ghana. One day he found an albino Nile monitor which he sold for the princely sum of $20. The animal was eventually shipped to the USA via either Togo or Benin (because Nile monitors are a protected species in Ghana). Seidu went to Spain to work on building sites, and the last I heard he was in prison there for murder. Probably not very relevant to this thread, but a sad tale nevertheless.
sonorandesertman

Post by sonorandesertman »

Those Shovelnoses are out of control. Damn I miss Arizona herping. Peace out and great pics ya'll....all of them. Later. sdm.
Lyle

Post by Lyle »

PNWHERPER, are you sure your melanistic red-eared slider isnt actually a western pond turtle?