Wild caught albinos???

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

concinnusman

Re: Wild caught albinos???

Post by concinnusman »

Found a black and white one near Lake Tahoe once. I was living in Reno at the time. I wasn't even at the lake for herping. It was a cloudy morning and I pulled over to take a leak, I looked down and there it was.
vincemartino

Post by vincemartino »

Nir wrote:Image

Weird eastern garter found here in Quebec in 2006. Some sort of albino....

T+ albino eastern garter? absolutely stunning
erik loza

Post by erik loza »

concinnusman wrote:Found a black and white one near Lake Tahoe once. I was living in Reno at the time. I wasn't even at the lake for herping. It was a cloudy morning and I pulled over to take a leak, I looked down and there it was.
I saw several adult zonata like that ("anerythristic" was not really a word at the time....) from a very well-know spot in the American River Canyon, so El Dorado Co. This would've been around 1990 or so. Unfortunately, the collector was neither a good breeder nor keeper, so I am assuming the animals are long-dead.
Rick Staub

Post by Rick Staub »

Anery zonata have been found at many locales even on the coast. There seems to be something else going on with the black and white line Mitch described since they are born with red so obviously are not anery. They go through more of an ontogenetic change as they age. Could be hormone driven especially considering the sexual dimorphism associated with the trait.

There have been records of other black and white zonata found throughout the central Sierras. I do not know if anyone has bred these or whether they behave like the ones Mitch posted or just happen to be random individuals that are lacking red. At some locales in the Sierras the amount of red can be very reduced. I have caught animals that were black and white except for a few triangles of red on their necks.

Bigger question is whether herrerrae are a naturally occuring anery population.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Yo Rick or Mitch,

Have Either of you seen a Parv this black? Found last year with Jim, "in the Desert" LOL

Just curious
Fundad
erik loza

Post by erik loza »

I caught one nearly that dark at a well-known spot in the San Jacintos. The others I have caught in that range usually had a lot more red, though. It would not really surprise me, I guess is what I am trying to say.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

30 Pure black triads was a little unexpected... I have seen quite a few SJ too , that have a lot of black but with only 10-15 pure black triads..

Personally I like Red better :lol: :lol:, and think this one is UGLY.. :lol: :P

Fundad
Rick Staub

Post by Rick Staub »

Never that dark Brian though you have seen way more parvs than me and I have yet to find one in the San Bernadinos. The weather always conspired against me. :)

I really like the look of that snake with the zig zag edges and all B and W. It would look way cool with no red and 40+ triads.
concinnusman

Post by concinnusman »

Yeah, I agree that the ones that start out red are not anery. However, there has been some black and white ones found that turned out to be simple recessive axanthic and I think that's possibly what I had found near Lake Tahoe. I mean, every other snake I ever saw from there was perfectly normal and had plenty of red. Also, it had a different look to it than the ones that start out red. Hard to explain.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Hit me up, I can help. if your going up that way again Mr Staub, sir.. :mrgreen:

It would be a honor to hit the field with you one of these days, finally.

Fundad
jdustin

Post by jdustin »

So, if a snake is born with red and loses it with age it shouldn't be considered really anery?
The "borrego anery" rosy boas seem to do this too. When they are born they look almost exactly the same as normals, except their eyes are typically solid black.
As they mature the red tones leave and they end up more like this:
note: image belongs to Milo

Do you guys not consider these to be anery, because they are born with red pigment?
pete

Post by pete »

this garter was caught last october in mass.
i did keep it,and it's about 16" now

very similar to the snake posted by Nir.
Lyle

Post by Lyle »

I'm still waiting for someone to turn up an albino rubber boa. Does anyone know if this has happened yet?
jdustin

Post by jdustin »

I'm still waiting for someone to turn up an albino rubber boa. Does anyone know if this has happened yet?
I've had a recurring dream about it, seriously. I'm not sure if albino rubber boa or albino zonata would be cooler.
concinnusman

Post by concinnusman »

Stunning! Awesome find! Looks just like the captive born erythristic albinos. Can't blame you, I would have kept it too!

I did see a picture of an albino rubber boa somewhere a while back but I can't seem to find it now.
concinnusman

Post by concinnusman »

jdustin wrote:So, if a snake is born with red and loses it with age it shouldn't be considered really anery?
The "borrego anery" rosy boas seem to do this too. When they are born they look almost exactly the same as normals, except their eyes are typically solid black.
As they mature the red tones leave and they end up more like this:
note: image belongs to Milo

Do you guys not consider these to be anery, because they are born with red pigment?
That's a little different. If you'll notice, the snake simply loses red pigment. It is not taken over and masked by another pigment(black). I believe that the red on the zonata is still there. It just gets taken over and masked by black. This is not the same as having the red areas still there, but lacking pigment.
ThamnElegans24

Post by ThamnElegans24 »

Not a herp, but still pretty sweet.

jdustin

Post by jdustin »

Very cool deer!
It looks decent sized too. I'm surprised it hasn't gotten picked off by something.
Maybe being white gives it a competitive advantage against getting hit by cars. :)
concinnusman

Post by concinnusman »

Doesn't appear to be albino though. Most white fawns will eventually gain normal coloration as they mature.
ThamnElegans24

Post by ThamnElegans24 »

That is a full grown Mule Deer.
Brandon D

Post by Brandon D »

Heres some neat things, I apologize for the qaulity I dont own a scanner, ive been meaning to get a lot of my old pics scanned but havent had time, so these are pics of pics

striped syspila X gentilis the late mike chambers found in alma ks

striped calligaster I found in cass co mo

anerytheristic syspila from east ks

albino syspila, I believe this was found in south east mo, it was found by brian richardson and he succesfully bred it but it and its offspring died in a fire

This albino syspila was also found in mo it ended up in roy engeldorfs hands then went to bob clark then was sold to some guy in england this was quite some time ago

I also remember an albino syspila that was found in the kc mo area that was given to the swope park nature center, I ended up running into the guy that gave it to the nature center years later while I was working at a pet store he said his cat dragged it to his doorstep, I wouldnt have believed him if I hadnt seen the snake years before, does anyone know of any other albino syspila being found?
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Thanks for sharing those, Brandon! :thumb:
johneddington

Post by johneddington »

Albino T. radix I caught back in 2001. This guy demised in 2010 after it escaped and tangled with our cat. I was able to keep it alive for a year after the incident, but it was never digesting food right. I thought it was an awesome snake. It was caught in Macon County, IL near some railroad tracks beside what I presume was a littermate...they were both about 10" long. I only assume litermate as these are the only two snakes I have ever seen in this location...even after scouring it the next few years for more relatives.
It looks identical (in my opinion) to some wild caught albino T. radix from Nebraska and now being captive produced by Scott Felzer.

Photo was taken by Mike Pingleton

bigdonniebrasco

Post by bigdonniebrasco »

AWWW DAMN!
The Easter snake died!?!? :( :cry:
johneddington wrote:Albino T. radix I caught back in 2001. This guy demised in 2010 after it escaped and tangled with our cat. I was able to keep it alive for a year after the incident, but it was never digesting food right. I thought it was an awesome snake. It was caught in Macon County, IL near some railroad tracks beside what I presume was a littermate...they were both about 10" long. I only assume litermate as these are the only two snakes I have ever seen in this location...even after scouring it the next few years for more relatives.
It looks identical (in my opinion) to some wild caught albino T. radix from Nebraska and now being captive produced by Scott Felzer.

Photo was taken by Mike Pingleton

johneddington

Post by johneddington »

Yep...I forgot to mention that. It was caught on Easter Sunday. I think it was a combination of getting caught beneath my radian heat and being around my cat too long. It had a good size wound to the belly which did heal up pretty nice. Every time it crapped it had some funky green and pink color to it. I couldn't believe it lived at all after finding it again. It was so dehydrated.
erik loza

Post by erik loza »

Such a great thread. You know, you can see a million captive-bred albino honduran milksnakes or whatever, and zero interest, but to see wild something like that is awesome.
Aaron Mills

Post by Aaron Mills »

A friend and I cruised this striped atrox

And this Sonoran Gopher was pretty neat looking too

And I was able to photograph this neat looking mojave that an AHA member road cruised as a neonate

Verhoodled

Post by Verhoodled »

From the Power of Perception files: I had taken 5 or 6 photos of this neonate atrox and was getting angry with my camera for washing out the photos. I fidgeted with ISO settings, night time settings, everything, and the photos just wouldn't come out. Then I actually bothered to look at the animal itself. D'oh!

Short video here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38639996@N ... hotostream
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Aaron, those are some seriously cool aberrants! I especially love how the stripe continues on the darker tail of the atrox. Shite, 30 years in Tucson and I never found anything out of the ordinary really... :x
Greg Knoell

Post by Greg Knoell »

Found this baby Axanthic Sonoran Gopher road cruising west of Phoenix in 2003, With the wife fast asleep in the passenger seat I was gonna call it a night and speed home. I hit the gas and saw this small snake, I drove by it thinking it was 'another' night snake. Don't know why but a mile down the road I decided to turn around and double check what it was. Luckily the animal was still on the road. I was stoked to see a grey and blue colored baby affinis...cool to find a wild color morph in my favorite colubrid!

Daryl Eby

Post by Daryl Eby »

Found this affinis/sayi today. Would it be considered hypomelanistic? I've never seen one with this much yellow and red and no black at all.

herpseeker1978

Post by herpseeker1978 »

very cool gopher!

Josh
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

Eby, that Gopher is absolutely stunning!!! I wish I could tell you if it was hypo or not but its not a kingsnake. lol Because the areas that are normally black are a lighter shade, I'd also be asking if it was hypo. If you've seen Gophers in that area for years and this one stands way out from the rest, good chances are its hypo, IMO. Nice find. :thumb:
concinnusman

Post by concinnusman »

Wow, that's gorgeous!
jdustin

Post by jdustin »

Pyson posted a link to these images on the forum. I'm reposting them here so that this thread can continue being the awesome grouping of wild albino pics that it has become. (holy crap, this thread has 12200 views!)

Albino foxsnake (?), caught in Wisconsin. Very cool find.

SnakeDude

Post by SnakeDude »

flipped this thamnophis...it's pretty cool lookin. (not sure if it'll work. I'm copying the URL from my website)

EDIT: oops...it's too small, but whatever :lol: :x
Gerards

Post by Gerards »

My friend caught and released this cemophora in ENP last year.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

I think some of these photos should make it into HerpNation! Albino herps are cool, but albino wild-caught herps are awesome!! Great stuff!

There was an albino (adult) Blanding's turtle found in Minnesota several years back.... it was released.

-Chris
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

i'm in the process off getting a hold of the zoo that that fox is at. from what i hear, they still think it's a corn snake. hopefully i'll have pics of my own by the end of the day.

-ben
squinn

Post by squinn »

wc green frog

ThatFrogGuy

Post by ThatFrogGuy »

That green frog is awesome, squinn. Not quite as cool, but here are two wild caught albino wood frog tadpoles.
Albino Tadpoles by Zach Truelock, on Flickr
David O

Post by David O »

Hypo Eastern Garter/Thamnophis s. sirtalis.
Ross Padilla

Post by Ross Padilla »

That Hypo Eastern Garter is amazing. :thumb:
Nature Nate

Post by Nature Nate »

In sync with the amphibs it looks like my earlier post didn't include the pics in it so here goes:
Spadefoots from San Diego county:

jonathan

Post by jonathan »

I spotted this albino in the field while herping today, but I think it might be a captive-bred release.

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Only 6 hrs in the field today Jonathan? No wonder you never find anything cool... :lol: :lol: :lol: BTW... NOT stalking you... just a coincidence that I replied to your last post before leaving (apparently) and your 1st post since returning... :D
Groundsnakes in ST? 3-14,15,16. camping... bring your tent... :D jim
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

jonathan wrote:I spotted this albino in the field while herping today, but I think it might be a captive-bred release.
I saw two albino rabbits while out looking for salamanders one night. Caught one of them, and it had a breeders tattoo in the ear.
PNWHerper

Post by PNWHerper »

Never found an albino herp, but did find this guy near Seattle:

Its in situ, on some wind fallen Douglas fir branches. In hindsight, I wish I had kept this animal. It was a nw gartersnake (T. ordinoides) and the only one like it I have ever seen. I remember thinking at the time that this kind of coloration would be an advantage to some extent in the often overcast climate of the PNW. Does make it stand out in the grass a little bit, but it could still hide in the shadows.

It was sunning with other nw gartersnakes with the more usual orange and yellow stripes in all the appropriate places.

Another melanistic critter I found was this red-eared slider...

DMong

Post by DMong »

Greg Knoell wrote:Found this baby Axanthic Sonoran Gopher road cruising west of Phoenix in 2003, With the wife fast asleep in the passenger seat I was gonna call it a night and speed home. I hit the gas and saw this small snake, I drove by it thinking it was 'another' night snake. Don't know why but a mile down the road I decided to turn around and double check what it was. Luckily the animal was still on the road. I was stoked to see a grey and blue colored baby affinis...cool to find a wild color morph in my favorite colubrid!

Wow!,..that is simply outstanding!. Definitely a true "axanthic" there without question ....freakin awesome! :beer:

~Doug
DMong

Post by DMong »

David O wrote:Image

Hypo Eastern Garter/Thamnophis s. sirtalis.
That is killer!......it might even actually be a form of "T-positive" albino that allows none, or only a very small quantity of melanin to be synthisized within the melanocyte, but still contains a normal amount of tyrosinase within the cells. This is what gives many of these types the lavender-ish look and often have very deep ruby-red pupils. It can be a tough nut to crack precisely defining extreme hypomelanism vs. tyrosinase positive though by looks alone though as you probably know.

Congrats, that thing is WAY COOL!

~Doug