Cape York Peninsula, Australia

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Mattsnake

Cape York Peninsula, Australia

Post by Mattsnake »

For those of us that are interested in herps, winter time in the southern parts of Australia can be a really crappy and boring time of year.. So what do you do when it's cold? Get in a car with friends and drive nearly 3000km north to where the temperatures are at a much more reptile friendly level! That is what myself and three others decided to do to escape the ridiculously cold winter that we were experiencing in South-east Queensland this year.
The destination was Iron Range National Park which is located towards the tip of the Cape York Peninsula, an area that is inaccessible for half of the year due to the rainfall during the wet season.
The plan was to spend three weeks up there targeting Green Tree Pythons Morelia viridis which are not meant to be an easy species to find during winter time as they seek out the sunlight at the top of the rainforest canopy to keep warm.

The first day three of us drove flat out for 16 hours to get to Townsville where we would pick up the fourth member of the group, an American obsessed with all things small, brown and skink-like ...he was quickly given the nickname Hank the Yank. We managed a few hours sleep and then quickly were up again to continue our journey north. First stop the Atherton Tablelands where the temperatures were still far from ideal! However we managed a few small critters...

Pale-lipped Shade Skink - Saproscincus basiliscus by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Robust Whistlefrog - Austrochaperina robusta by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Green-eyed Tree Frog - Litoria serrata by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Prickly Forest Skink - Gnypetoscincus queenslandiae by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Northern Leaf Tail Gecko - Saltuarius cornutus by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Waterfall Frog - Litoria nannotis by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Wasn't too bad of a night at all considering the low temperatures, however our target species, the Chameleon Gecko Carphodactylus laevis wasn't as silly as us to be out in the cold so it was to go unseen unfortunately.
The next day we were to head to the bottom of the Cape to target another species of gecko Oedura jowalbinna, however after driving 30km of the worst dirt road I had ever seen, vehicle clearance issues got the better of us and we had to accept defeat and turn around and drive the horrible 30km back to the main road again... not a good start as far as target species go! Instead we decided to poke around a rock escarpment close to the main road...

Nactus cheverti by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Ring-tailed Gecko - Cyrtodactylus tuberculatus by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Many Gehyra dubia were also seen but I took no pictures as this was a species I had seen many times before. After looking around the rocks we continued north without seeing much at all besides the odd frog, soon fatigue got the better of us and it was time to sleep.
We rose fairly early with excitement knowing that by night fall we would reach our destination! Hundreds and hundreds of kilometres of heavily corregated dirt road was getting the better of me and I really couldn't wait to get to Iron Range!.. The drive was broken up though with the odd stop to poke around for animals..

Northern Velvet Gecko (Oedura castelnaui) by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Two-lined Dragon (Diporiphora bilineata) by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Iron Range National Park turnoff by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Only about a kilometre after the turnoff we were greeted by our first snake of the trip, a species I had been dying to see after seeing a lot of roadkills before but never a live one.

Black-headed Python - Aspidites melanocephalus by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

The rest of the drive into the National Park was fairly uneventful besides a couple of creek crossings and a flat tyre. We continued on through the rainforest of Iron Range and out into the heath land heading towards Chili Beach in the hope that there would be a vacant camping spot, but we weren't so lucky. However having to camp back in the rainforest would soon work to our advantage.

Chili Beach - Iron Range National Park, QLD by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Nactus eboracensis by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Once night fell we set out on our first walk in search of the target species. The rainforest is an amazing place once darkness falls and the calls of frogs echo through the trees, White-lipped Tree Frogs and Wood Frogs can be seen nearly everwhere you look!

White-lipped Tree Frog - Litoria infratrenata by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Wood Frog - Rana daemeli by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Within only an hour of walking I heard the words GREEN PYTHON come out of the mouth of a very excited Hank the Yank as he quickly dropped to his knees and looked down in a tangle of vines just above ground level. As I ran over I had to do a double take at what I was looking at ....it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen! The snake was quickly nicknamed Hank. Success on the first night!

Little Hank in all his glory!
Green Tree Python (Morelia viridis) by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Now that the target species had been found we were now free to see what else was in the area...

Black-tailed bar-lipped skink (Glaphyromorphus nigricaudis) by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Brown-headed Snake (Furina tristis) by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

On the second night we went walking through vine-thicket looking for Giant Tree Geckos Pseudothecodactylus australis. We didn't manage to find the gecko but did stumble upon one of these.... not another one!

A few more herps from the area...

Northern Banjo Frog - Limnodynastes terraereginae by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Scrub Python (Morelia kinghorni) by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Spotted Tree Monitor (Varanus scalaris) by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Common Tree Snake - Dendrelaphis punctulatus by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Burton's Legless Lizard - Lialis burtonis by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

On our final day/night we walked for many hours trying to locate Giant Tree Geckos and saw a few animals along the way (water pythons, slatey grey snakes and the odd gecko). Finally a Giant Tree Gecko was spotted way up a tree, unfortunately I didn't have my zoom lens with me so didn't get to take any photos of it, but the others did so if they see this maybe they could add a picture :)

Slatey Grey Snake - Stegonotus cucullatus by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Zig-zag Velvet Gecko - Oedura rhombifer by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

It was now time to head south back towards home, the aim was to get to Black Mountain National Park near Cooktown by the next night. It rained nearly the whole way back down the Cape which made driving on the dirt road like driving on ice!

Mertens Water Monitor (Varanus mertensi) by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Mertens Water Monitor (Varanus mertensi) by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Brown Tree Snake (Boiga irregularis) by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Black Mountain is an amazing place and some of the boulders are the size of a house! It is quite easy to get lost on the mountain at night. The aim here was to find a species of gecko and frog that are endemic to the black boulders of the mountain.

Black Mountain National Park, Queensland. by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Black Mountain Gecko (Nactus galgajuga) by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Female Black Mountain Boulder Frog (Cophixalus saxatilis) by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

It was now a very long drive home but not without seeing one more reptile..

Freshwater Crocodile - Crocodylus johnstoni by Mattsummerville, on Flickr

Now looking back on the trip, seeing not one, but two Green Tree Pythons in the wild just seems like a dream!

Cheers.
Matt
mikemike

Re: Cape York Peninsula, Australia

Post by mikemike »

Awesome post and great photography man! Thanks a lot for sharing.
Schell

Post by Schell »

I know I'm going to be in the minority here but The banjo frog and the black mtn gecko are my favorites. Bad-ass animals throughout! Well done.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Great critters + great story + great photos = great post.
Dan Krull

Post by Dan Krull »

World class photography. You have a real gift.

Thanks for posting!

Dan
withalligators

Post by withalligators »

Man. Have any room over there for another yank?
Ribbit

Post by Ribbit »

Fantastic stuff. Keep it coming!

John
frogshot

Post by frogshot »

Schell, I'm with you on the Banjo frog, the Robust Whistlefrog is also awesome. Great photos and a great post.
Martti Niskanen

Post by Martti Niskanen »

Reading the subject, I was thinking: "Chondros or it didn't happen".

Got me.

Great post!
jgjulander

Post by jgjulander »

Great post! Love the Iron Range. It is a total thrill to see a GTP in their natural habitat.
Justin
StephenZozaya

Post by StephenZozaya »

Man, that 'Hank the Yank' fella must be incredible!

Good post, Matt
moloch

Post by moloch »

Matt,

Wonderful photos! I love the first GTP hanging from the small tree. It really is a good one. Looks like you guys did very well but I am disappointed not to see shots of an Orange Jezebel along with the herps. ;)
StephenZozaya wrote:Man, that 'Hank the Yank' fella must be incredible!

Good post, Matt
I wonder who that guy could be?
Mattsnake

Post by Mattsnake »

Thanks guys :)
moloch wrote:Matt,

Wonderful photos! I love the first GTP hanging from the small tree. It really is a good one. Looks like you guys did very well but I am disappointed not to see shots of an Orange Jezebel along with the herps. ;)
Haha, I'm guessing an Orange Jezebel is a butterfly? I don't have the patience that you have David, I get frustrated just trying to get near butterflies let alone taking photos of them! :)
TNWJackson

Post by TNWJackson »

Awesome, so awesome. Stephen sent me a few photos a while back and on reading this post I have once again assumed a shade of green not dissimilar from that of those pythons.....jerks.

BTW, excellent photography.
moloch

Post by moloch »

Hello Matt,

Yes, the Orange (aka Golden) Jezebel is a beautiful butterfly that is confined to the upper Cape York. The Iron Range has a number of special butterflies but I did not see many of these at the end of the dry season on my only trip to the park. I would love to get back again and try for these now that I know how to bait. Also, would love to see the northern herps again.

Regards,
David
Field Herper

Post by Field Herper »

Excellent herp photography Matt. Can you please tell us a bit about your gear?
jordo

Post by jordo »

Good stuff Matt. Can't wait to get up there myself!
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

Australian posts are awesome!! love te shot of the Water Monitor on the rock...
scottriv

Post by scottriv »

Congrats on the Chondros!

Very cool.

Can you get up there any time of year now?

When I tried to get up there, the road was 2 meters deep in water :(
justinm

Post by justinm »

EPIC
crocdoc

Post by crocdoc »

Excellent!