Moon or rain?...

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Tim Borski

Moon or rain?...

Post by Tim Borski » July 2nd, 2010, 5:41 am

This question was just brought up on the SE Chapter.

Let's assume your TV had only one channel for the night and Bachelorette was the only thing on so you had to go road cruising.

Would you rather have a big (+50%) moon or scattered rain showers?

I know this is immediately heading towards "amount of cloud cover/ buildings/cliffs/tree lines etc blocking (moon) visibilty" OR, "amount of rainfall predicted," but any thoughts beyond that?

Big Moon or Rain?
Tim

Ross Padilla

Re: Moon or rain?...

Post by Ross Padilla » July 2nd, 2010, 6:01 am

If it was cruising snakes in the local desert here I would take scattered rain if it was still warm. If its cold with scattered rain, I'd watch TV. :mrgreen:

Paul White

Post by Paul White » July 2nd, 2010, 6:02 am

If it's warm I'd go hiking in the rain and hope for amphibians.

Curtis Hart

Post by Curtis Hart » July 2nd, 2010, 6:22 am

I'd take the rain, unless I was in Hidalgo County NM. If there I'd take the moon for White-sided Jackrabbits. That's the only thing I can think of that requires a lot of moonlight.

TJP

Post by TJP » July 2nd, 2010, 6:31 am

Where you're at, Tim, I'd take the scattered rain over the moon. I've herped your area before with a large moon and during rain....rain was always better. Just my experiences, though. We've done pretty well during the rain. Lotsa amphibs, cottons, turtles, water snakes, garters, and I think we found a nice mud in the rain, too. We did find a decent sized burm during a relatively full moon, though....but not much else.

Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook » July 2nd, 2010, 6:37 am

Definitely the moon, for reasons already discussed previously in the SE chapter...And big moons are great for seeing owls.

Nick

Post by Nick » July 2nd, 2010, 10:02 pm

In Florida I would take the moon. Rain is the enemy!

Bryan_Hughes

Post by Bryan_Hughes » July 3rd, 2010, 8:34 am

I'd take the rain and go look for coralsnakes and neonate everything.

xxxHERPERxxx

Post by xxxHERPERxxx » July 3rd, 2010, 8:46 am

If it was early march and we had some warm rains for a few days on and off, I'd be out looking for Gopher Frogs!

chad ks

Post by chad ks » July 3rd, 2010, 9:42 am

I think the moon aspect is only detrimental during certain periods of inactivity like mid-summer etc. In my experience if the time of year is right and the other conditions are right, the moon makes no real difference. BUT, if the conditions are not ideal then the moon combined with some other deterrent would probably have an effect. So there are too may dynamic aspects to this question for one to answer it without many caveats.

I'd still say avoid the moon and embrace the rain...

gbin

Post by gbin » July 3rd, 2010, 9:53 am

Some of the best herp finds of my life have been made on roads under the light of full moons; the numbers of herps found have been lower, though, and I'm not about to assert that any of the cool animals I found were out there because of the big moon.

But scattered rains,... when I lived in FL I used to make a special effort to road hunt on evenings with such weather! Shortly after such a rain, especially not long before or after sunset and doubly so in the early spring, might just be the very best time to find certain species such as scarlet kingsnakes and coral snakes out and about. Heck, sometimes the weather system even dropped the temperature low enough that I would use the heater in my car, but those species would still be out there. And then of course there are all of those amphibians...

So I'll take the rain.

Gerry

RobK

Post by RobK » July 3rd, 2010, 11:17 am

Had both last weekend. Light rain right at dusk, threat of storms all around the area we were cruising with a full moon behind all the clouds. Two cars covering 20 miles of pretty well known road. Total snakes = 4. Temps were good too. A decent night on this road is at least 15-20 snakes, good nights yield TMTC. Go figure.

VanAR

Post by VanAR » July 3rd, 2010, 11:32 am

I agree with Gerry. I had some amazing success in peninsular FL cruising in late March on rainy nights. Rain didn't seem to help as much in late summer/fall, but it was definitely dynamite in early spring.

Van

arf_herper

Post by arf_herper » July 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm

i would pick a big moon every time, if it was fishing it would be a different story :D, i assume i say moon due to the fact that i live in indiana, and when it rains it gets colder.

Paul White

Post by Paul White » July 3rd, 2010, 12:53 pm

just found about 5 diamondbacks and dozens of toads out last night during intermittent rain. I think I'll stick with the rain :)

Dougsnake

Post by Dougsnake » July 3rd, 2010, 3:06 pm

Am I missing something here?I thought big moons kept snakes from coming out. New moon was the way to go.
Rains brings stuff out.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » July 3rd, 2010, 10:37 pm

If Batchlorette is on does it really even matter? Staring at empty road is better than that show. As long as you're home in time for Leno you should be good.

TNWJackson

Post by TNWJackson » July 4th, 2010, 12:37 am

Rain is generally good here (Sydney) in Summer, unless it comes with a big drop in temperature. In fact, after rain when it's still warm is one of the best times to be out cruising. I guess it really depends on where you are, further North (in Qld), rain can be a real boon too, you generally don't see a lot when it's actually coming down, but right after rain on warm nights there is stuff all over the roads.

The moon on the other hand is generally bad news, there are some species that will tolerate it (eg. black-headed pythons) but geckos and most other snakes make themselves pretty scarce around the full moon.

millside

Post by millside » July 4th, 2010, 3:35 am

personally, I would take either one because it would mean I was in florida and it wouldn't matter I would still head out. :beer: