It is currently November 20th, 2017, 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Borneo Dispatches #9: Jungle Medley 1 (Bonus Flying Lemur!)
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2011, 9:33 pm 

This post and the next serve as hold-alls for random photos taken in random locations at random times since we arrived in Sarawak in mid-July.

Gastheracantha arcuata - The Spider From Outer Space. One of the world's oddest arachnids, and an animal I've longed to see ever since I arrived here. This one presented itself as if on a silver platter - on the wooden railing of a little jungle bridge. At first glance, the spikes make absolutely no sense (unless maybe as antennas used to communicate with the rest of the tribe in the Andromeda Nebula), but it seems that they've evolved to make the animal difficult for predators to swallow.

With leaves this size, I'm quite sure they have fossorial hippos here, too

Jungle Skank (Lygosoma bowringii?)

Tree Skank (Dasia sp?). Yesterday I saw one of these fellows sitting on the completely barenaked trunk of a colossal durian tree, about eighteen feet aboveground. Quite the image.

Bornean Tubular Vampire (V. sanguinophila)

Mouse Deer (aka Chevrotain or Kancil, Tragulus napu). Deceased, front leg broken. Must have had a bad fall from the cliffs above the waterfall. I do say, the jungle floor IS slippery at times.

Pepper plant?

Tractor millipedes

Morning mood in the city park

Also in the city park: this oversized chicken (Crested Fireback, Lophura ignita), which suddenly appeared from the vegetation and moseyed around on the trail in front of me, checking the floor for food and muttering under her breath all the time like some semi-senile human talking to himself. For a heavily hunted pheasant species like this, it showed remarkably little fear of humans. Two days later I saw it again, this time running straight towards a lady coming down the trail. The lady took out a little jar of rice and poured some on the ground, and the pheasant went straight to work on her breakfast. Tame jungle fowl! What's the world coming to!? (Sadly, there is no male left in the park. That would be a sight to see....

Fuzzy Leaf

And (it's true) yet another amazing critter found in the city park, and in broad daylight at that. Flying lemurs are very intriguing animals. There are only two species (Sunda and Philippines, this one being Galeopterus variegatus), and they're in a category they have all to themselves. They're closer related to primates than to anything else, and they're such shy and elusive nocturnal animals that their diet is mostly known via analysis of their dentures. This one was sitting on a tree right next to the trail, at about arm's length above us, and the flash photo doesn't give its fantastic camouflage justice. While the rest of us trampled right past the beast, a sharp-eyed lady in our group fell back, scanned the lemur and said "That's not some kind of growth on the bark there, is it?". It took all of us to figure out that we weren't looking at a lump of lichens, but a hairy mammal, and only the huge eyes could finally convince us that we had found something really extraordinary.

Profile WWW 
 Post subject: Re: Borneo Dispatches #9: Jungle Medley 1 (Bonus Flying Lemu
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2011, 11:59 pm 

That spider is wild - Borneo is like Mecca for macro photographers.

I love the skanks too :lol:

PostPosted: September 24th, 2011, 4:06 am 

omg that colugo is frickin AWESOME!!!
that is why i LOVE SE Asia!!!
your kids have a DREAM life!!!

i mean "very interesting that you found the Lygosoma on a totally dried leaf; i usually find them on leaves that are only 50%-75% dried. this is an important discovery that should be written up in herp review. also, it think it's a new sub-subspecies, based on 2-metre range maps and the colour of its chin."

PostPosted: September 24th, 2011, 4:36 am 

Warren wrote:
omg that colugo is frickin AWESOME!!!
that is why i LOVE SE Asia!!!
your kids have a DREAM life!!!

Sez you. While I was braingasming over the lemur, my poor kid was slaving over math problems at school :-)

Quote:
i mean "very interesting that you found the Lygosoma on a totally dried leaf; i usually find them on leaves that are only 50%-75% dried. this is an important discovery that should be written up in herp review. also, it think it's a new sub-subspecies, based on 2-metre range maps and the colour of its chin."

Finally somebody who realizes the seriousness of all this :-)

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: September 24th, 2011, 5:35 am 

I dunno, those lizards look pretty upper-middle class to me.

John

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: September 24th, 2011, 5:40 am 

Sorry Hans, I can't allow a topic to mention a Chevrotain and NOT show this video

Also, that lizard on the tree does look skanky.

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: September 24th, 2011, 5:53 am 

ribbit, if you've never run into rich skanks you're missing out :lol:

Is skank a common name for that group of lizards over there or was it a typo? I didn't want to say anything at first but other people already have. But I don't know what common local names are in use outside my little part of the world.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2011, 6:26 am 

1. Skank

Derogatory term for a (usually younger) female, implying trashiness or tackiness, lower-class status, poor hygiene, flakiness, and a scrawny, pockmarked sort of ugliness. May also imply promiscuity, but not necessarily. Can apply to any race, but most commonly used to describe white trash.

You know that girl Crystal that lives in the trailer park? She's a total skank.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2011, 6:38 am 

psyon wrote:
Sorry Hans, I can't allow a topic to mention a Chevrotain and NOT show this video

All I have to say is: honey badger don’t care.

John

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: September 24th, 2011, 2:30 pm 

VERY nice. I love the trend of so much variety in the posts these days. There is a whole world out there with out scales or slimy skin...

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: September 24th, 2011, 9:08 pm 

Paul White wrote:
ribbit, if you've never run into rich skanks you're missing out :lol:

Is skank a common name for that group of lizards over there or was it a typo? I didn't want to say anything at first but other people already have. But I don't know what common local names are in use outside my little part of the world.

Skinks are fairly common (and diverse) over there, but the slip of the tongue...

Love the spider and colugo. I never saw any of the truly impressive spiders like that, just "ordinary" ones or Nephila species. And never had such a nice look at a colugo. I wonder if they normally sleep like that or if that was an unusual individual?

PostPosted: September 25th, 2011, 4:51 am 

Quote:
Is skank a common name for that group of lizards over there or was it a typo?

That was a vastly ambitious attempt at greening the vast desert known as German Humor. Apparently, the project silted up in the initial stage.

Ach vell...

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: September 25th, 2011, 5:48 am 

Hans Breuer (twoton) wrote:
Quote:
Is skank a common name for that group of lizards over there or was it a typo?

That was a vastly ambitious attempt at greening the vast desert known as German Humor. Apparently, the project silted up in the initial stage.

Ach vell...

What?!? Next you will be telling us that Bornean Tubular Vampire is not the real name of that leech. But I won’t believe you.

John

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: September 25th, 2011, 11:13 am 

Cool post, I think your tree skank (lol) maybe Eutropis rudis as it has three keels on the scales. Those firebacks are incredible, great shots, are they fairly used to people?

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: September 25th, 2011, 1:35 pm 

That spider is pretty intense :shock: You'd think those spikes wouldn't actually protect it that much, seeing how a bird could probably just peck them off. we actually have that same genus here in the states, but ours don't have those long spines.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2011, 10:44 pm 

Coluber Constrictor wrote:
You'd think those spikes wouldn't actually protect it that much, seeing how a bird could probably just peck them off.

That would take a strong and agile bird. They're quite hard, and I don't imagine they're easy to break or twist off.

Quote:
we actually have that same genus here in the states, but ours don't have those long spines.

Really? What species?

Profile WWW