jeffro

Rio Grande Chirping or Greenhouse?

Post by jeffro » October 5th, 2011, 4:34 pm

Found near Baton Rouge...

-Jeff

chrish

Re: Rio Grande Chirping or Greenhouse?

Post by chrish » October 5th, 2011, 5:23 pm

It looks like cystignathoides to me, but a really big one. It doesn't have the "striped" appearance of planirostris.

Of course, I don't know how to tell planirostris from cystignathoides so I'm not sure what value my opinion is?
I've seen about 2-3 planirostris and thousands of cystignathoides.

gretzkyrh4

Post by gretzkyrh4 » October 5th, 2011, 6:45 pm

Thanks for the input Chris. I initially made the same ID, but we've had some questions about it since. I'm hoping someone can give us something definitive. Otherwise, I have to keep flipping that stack of tin till I catch it again. Prior to Jeff and I flipping it this weekend, the last time we saw it was early in July and I missed the grab on that occasion.

Chris

Tom Lott

Post by Tom Lott » October 10th, 2011, 2:43 pm

An interesting specimen in that it seems to combine characters of both species (i.e., the vermiculated dorsal pattern of the unstriped morph of planirostris, but with the canthal shadow characteristic of cystignathoides).

Since both are known from the Baton Rouge area, I am thinking it's possibly a hybrid (it was suspected that such would turn up somewhere eventually). If they're still calling in that area, a recording of the call might help - or really confuse things! ;)

chrish

Post by chrish » October 10th, 2011, 2:49 pm

Tom Lott wrote:An interesting specimen in that it seems to combine characters of both species (i.e., the vermiculated dorsal pattern of the unstriped morph of planirostris, but with the canthal shadow characteristic of cystignathoides).

Since both are known from the Baton Rouge area, I am thinking it's possibly a hybrid (it was suspected that such would turn up somewhere eventually). If they're still calling in that area, a recording of the call might help - or really confuse things! ;)
I think the calls are pretty similar from what I've heard online.