Crotes being crotes

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Norman D

Re: Crotes being crotes

Post by Norman D »

Brendan wrote:Thanks Norm! I think most people who invest 600 plus hours a year in the field would probably see numbers similar to mine. I feel very fortunate to have a great wife who is patient enough to allow me to do what I love.

It was a pleasure getting out in the field with you on many occasions this summer. For a guy who just recently got the crote bug you have certainly done very well. I'd say your doing better than 90% of the guys who have been at it for half a decade or more. The best part about it is that your herping etiquette is that of someone who has done this for his whole life. Keep up the great work yourself, it will pay off more and more each season. Just continue to keep your spots to your closest and most trusted friends.

Hopefully some day Scott will make us crote junkies a separate board to share these type of posts so that the bulk of this main forum doesn't have to get cluttered with snakes that most guys don't care about.
Thanks man! It was cool to get out and see a lot of animals in a short amount of time! There are people who spend hundreds of hours in the field and don't get to see a lot of cool observations - obviously you are doing something right. Hands off, minimal disturbance, keeping your distance, etc. etc.
Luck may be part of it, but when someone like you who sees all these observations/behavior on a regular basis - involves a lot more than luck.

Even though herping season never really stops here, I do look forward to next year for certain cycles/seasons.

I agree that a crote forum would be cool.

Let's see MORE PICS!!! haha
joeysgreen

Post by joeysgreen »

Brendan, I think the best part about this post, and it's tough because the photography is stellar, is that you are leading by example instead of preaching on a soap box. You have a personal stance on how you herp, and are sharing the benefits. Thanks for that :)

I have a question on you photography. Do you generally zoom in from a distance, or slowly creep forwards for the close up shots?

Ian
Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

Brendan,

I like the crote posts right where they are - on the main forum! I wouldn't consider myself a crote junkie, but rather a herp junkie, in general. People who complain about awesome posts, even those that focus largely on one taxonomic group, need to reevaluate their position. This forum is awesome, and one of the things that makes it so is the diversity of interest and content. You could do a dozen posts (or more!) like this every year and I'd never get tired of it.

-Cole
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Jimi it sounds like you need to move west.
Oh, my longitude is fine (Salt Lake City). But the latitude (almost 40 N) plus elevation (4200'+) are not so good a combination. It's basically a 6 month season around here (except for the slow part in the heat of summer). If we drive 300 miles down to St George we can wring maybe another 4-6 weeks out of it I think (I haven't spent hardly any time there yet, to tell the truth). On the other hand, some years (last "winter" being one) we can ski 9 months. Lemonade I guess. Basically Utah is high, cold, and north. (Thinks to self "What was I thinking?!?!?")
some socal speckin
I have had a place in mind the last few years that made me wonder about Norm's recent offer/request. I haven't yet approached him about it. Maybe you'd like to go there too. I haven't herped it but I'm burning with curiosity to see what the specks there look like...wrong side of the hill for winter, I'm thinking maybe mid March. If I can get a pass from the missus...let me PM you two.

Cheers,
Jimi
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Norm I too am looking forward to spring when things green up a bit and temps are ideal for hiking all day. It will be here in no time. I'll toss up a few more photos in a bit.

Ian thanks for the compliment. I have always been one to practice what I preach. I can't stand when people live by the "do as I say, not as I do" creed. Although I can't honestly say I never manipulate snakes in the field I will say that it's rare and usually for a good reason.
As for the close ups I try to shoot from as far away as I can with snakes that I sense are aware or me and not at ease. Other animals that I have come to know from many years of observation I am able to get within less than a foot and they are not bothered by me at all. Once in a while I do accidentally spook a snake and in that case I just let it retreat while I back away and check back later once it settles. I think the more time you spend with rattlesnakes the more aware you become of body posture and how to approach a certain situation. Of course that is never fail proof and some snakes are very unpredictable.

Thanks Cole I am glad to hear that you don't mind almost 200 shots of the same kind of snakes. I try to mix it up a little but considering I only took photos of about 10 non-vens I decided not to even bother with a section on that stuff.

Jimi I got your PM. Sign me up!! I'll write more in a PM reply but one thing I learned this year is making assumptions about what side of a hill snakes are going to use can be really misleading. I discovered some really interesting things this summer/fall.
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

OK.... here is the 100% unnecessary, 100% not all crote encore for you Norm......
There is a rattlesnake in the photo below........that site is one of the most over herped spots in Phoenix. Fortunately most of the animals adapt. I think you know it well Norm along with many of these snakes.
OK a non crote pic......this gal was rescued from a slow death by a fellow herper and set free. She was the nicest tort I have ever seen.
Insitu slug
Wild Mustangs
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

the in-situ triv shot is WAY cool !
Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

Holy shite! That might be the nicest Phrynosoma hernandesi ever! Any other photos of it?
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks Kent it's actually a gracia. Just a dark one.

Cole I agree I have never seen a nicer short horned than this one.

Here is a neat orange one enjoying a rain shower.
Cole Grover

Post by Cole Grover »

Un-friggin'-real. I have a new desktop image. I've seen some nice ones around here, but nothing like that beast. Wow.

-Cole
chad ks

Post by chad ks »

Cole Grover wrote:Un-friggin'-real. I have a new desktop image. I've seen some nice ones around here, but nothing like that beast. Wow.

-Cole
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

Love the chupacabra man!
cerbatrosy

Post by cerbatrosy »

Enjoyed all the pix, thanx for sharing..
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks guys. I included those couple insitu slugs just to keep you happy Paul. Not really sure what that chupacabra type thing really was.
Norman D

Post by Norman D »

Brendan wrote:OK.... here is the 100% unnecessary, 100% not all crote encore for you Norm......

OK a non crote pic......this gal was rescued from a slow death by a fellow herper and set free. She was the nicest tort I have ever seen.
Brendan
Great shots and lots of familiar local animals. Though, I hope to mark off Stephensi & Viridis (easy one) next year. You weren't kidding about that tortoise's color! That thing is a screamer and looks fake. Cool in-situ Rosy shots even though they don't have a rattle.
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

I'm sure if you spend some time in panamint habitat you will find some. Lots of snakes out there and never enough time to see them all.
Told ya that tort was nice! Glad see will live to see adulthood!
infidel

Post by infidel »

very nice Brendan!
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks Jason. Good to hear from you.
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Someone asked me by PM about captive observations of parental care.......

Although I only keep a few rattlesnakes anymore the females all show some form of maternal care for the babies and the dad's from time to time do as well. I know we may tend to anthropomorphize things a little much to relate to them but I can say that what I do see is certainly worth noting. Photos can't really depict all that goes on either.
Even at over 4 months old these babies still cling to mom like glue.
She even let's me feed them without trying to steal the food from them.
Hangin with dad...(obviously a different species)
Little hug from dad
Dad decided that a week after delivery it was time again..
With mom
Fresh out of the chute...
All neonates this year spent a good portion of time with the parents
JDM

Post by JDM »

Great photos and information, Brendan! It's always a pleasure to see what you have to share. I get out so infrequently these days that it is always nice to see what others are turning up in the field.

The "hands off" view is great for gaining the behavioral observation and understanding that you seek.

Glad to have you as a fellow AZ herper!
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks JD! Likewise. :beer:
frodaman

Post by frodaman »

Seriously cool behavioral shots! Kudos to you!
Will Wells

Post by Will Wells »

Brendan, I just checked your post again and saw the new pics. That's Incredible!!! I really enjoyed the captive shots as well. Any pics of the hybred crot you told me about?
Will Wells

Post by Will Wells »

Brendan wrote:Thanks Kent it's actually a gracia. Just a dark one.

Cole I agree I have never seen a nicer short horned than this one.

Here is a neat orange one enjoying a rain shower.

Here's 2 shots of a similar short horned I saw a few years ago.

Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks Frodaman!

Will that is a nice looking SH. Southern AZ? Mine was from up on the strip. Most of the one's I have seen up there are fugly.
They looked like this..

I think this might be the hybrid you were talking about??
TNWJackson

Post by TNWJackson »

Wow, the photos just keep coming and coming. Being a non-American who's never seen a wild rattlesnake, all I can say is that this is overwhelmingly cool and I am now itching to get over there.
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

LOL.......yeah I don't post photos very often so when I do I usually purge an entire years worth in one shot. In this case I only posted a small handful of the rattlesnake shots I took this year but I think I covered most of the interesting stuff without being to redundant. The United States is a pretty big country so you just need to decide how much time you have and what exactly you want to see when your here. I live here and I have still not seen all the US rattlesnakes.
vincemartino

Post by vincemartino »

Trade places with me please. :cry:
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Vince I spent 26 years on the east coast and the only way I'm going back is to see some timbers or to visit family. I can't do winter anymore!
TNWJackson

Post by TNWJackson »

Brendan wrote:LOL.......yeah I don't post photos very often so when I do I usually purge an entire years worth in one shot. In this case I only posted a small handful of the rattlesnake shots I took this year but I think I covered most of the interesting stuff without being to redundant. The United States is a pretty big country so you just need to decide how much time you have and what exactly you want to see when your here. I live here and I have still not seen all the US rattlesnakes.
Really? I thought I'd be able to see the whole continent (both actually) in 2 weeks :cry:

Haha, seriously though we have the same "problem" here in Australia - big country and we're spoiled for choice with herping localities and species to go after. I've lived here most of my life and I've probably seen 20% of our herp species.

I've been considering (dreaming about) a trip to the SW US for years now. It's on the list with a lot of other spots to be honest but it just moved up a bit as a result of your and Mike Rochford's amazing posts. As well as the quality of the photography I'm seriously impressed by the obvious amount of time and effort you have spent on foot in the field in order to get such an array of wonderful photos. Inspiring.
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks man I'm glad you enjoyed the thread even if it lacked much in the way of commentary. I just don't have time to give details on each photo as I post them and frankly I don't care to. Some of the cry babies on the board don't like it but the good news is they can choose not to read my threads in the future.

If you make it out to AZ let us know in advance so we can plan to meet up and show you some animals.
TNWJackson

Post by TNWJackson »

Brendan wrote:Thanks man I'm glad you enjoyed the thread even if it lacked much in the way of commentary. I just don't have time to give details on each photo as I post them and frankly I don't care to. Some of the cry babies on the board don't like it but the good news is they can choose not to read my threads in the future.
I'm in the same boat man. When I get around to posting trip reports (which is rare in itself due to the time it takes to process and post the photos alone), I don't have the time to write up detailed commentary. I figure that the pictures speak for themselves, the circumstances can be inferred from the photo most of the time.

The whole argument in that other thread is slightly bizarre to me. Maybe it's because we don't have the same issues of over-collection here (which is not to say that we don't have those issues at all), but it strikes me that the discussion really isn't about that anyway. It's about people feeling they are owed some sort of explanation by others simply because they share a common interest and have a forum in which to discuss that interest. It's mind-boggling that you guys can post such amazing sequences of photos and then have people criticising you rather than just saying "wow, thanks for sharing."
If you make it out to AZ let us know in advance so we can plan to meet up and show you some animals.
That would be amazing. Unfortunately it's unlikely I'll be able to get over there in the next couple of years, but I'll still hold you to the offer when I do!
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

People will always take what they want from a post. My intention in posting the handful of shots in this thread was to show some proof of the cool things you might see if you just stay back and observe rather than catching and posing. For some that isn't cool and I'm ok with that. For others who are just starting I think it gives them at least some food for thought when they do find target species. In the end we all make our own choices and as long as we are happy with the results who cares what others think.

The invite has no expiration so if something comes up and you find yourself out this way pm me.
TNWJackson

Post by TNWJackson »

Brendan wrote: In the end we all make our own choices and as long as we are happy with the results who cares what others think.
Couldn't have said it better. Funny how the ones who are happy with their own results are the ones who do the least bitching about other people's choices.
The invite has no expiration so if something comes up and you find yourself out this way pm me.
I definitely will do. Cheers mate!
Y.Morgan

Post by Y.Morgan »

Wow - I'm glad I went to the trouble to scroll down deep in case I missed an older post! Great theme - the whole in situ thing. You're definitely more adept than I at finding them doing what they do. It's hard to choose, but I probably like the shot of the 3 molossus moms and all those neos. That must've been quite a sight. Your "seconds" would've made my year. Great post....great year of field herping for you!
Thanks,
York
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks for digging back a ways to comment on the post. I've seen enough of your posts in the past to know that my seconds would not satisfy your crote fix. LOL Your the bootheel kluab king and finding them doing anything other that diving into the rocks is a tall order. I made my first trek out that way and really loved some of the ranges out there. Next year I want to spend some time in a few new areas just to see some of the crazy variations.
ahockenberry

Post by ahockenberry »

Dude, you totally blew me away with your images and action shots - awesome !! Thanks for sharing this with us - lots of various types of species. Awesome !
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks Ashley. I'm glad you enjoyed my crote centric post. In looking back it shocked me how few colubrid shots I took this year. I think next year I'll quit being such a crote snob and take photos of the other scaley turds I see. :lol:
Mike Pingleton

Post by Mike Pingleton »

Chock full of crotey goodness. :thumb: There's -always- room for posts like these!

I always like those situations where you never have to touch/move/harass the animal.

Talk about epic - that was pretty overwhelming for this flatlander from the midwest.

I do know I'd like to have my own klauberi tree :)
-Mike
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks Mike. The only thing I really missed seeing this year were all the amazing crotes down in mexico which you covered for me. Hopefully next year time will allow for a sotb trip.
Klaub trees are pretty common out this way. Maybe you can transplant one back home to a local rock pile near you. ;)
Aaron Mills

Post by Aaron Mills »

Nice shots Brendan!
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Thanks AM.
DIAMONDBACK DAVE

Post by DIAMONDBACK DAVE »

I am flabbergasted.........every time you post all those beautiful buzzpuppies B.

Cant waite for spring....

Goes without saying that this is a DBD approved post.... :thumb:
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm with you on spring. I'm working hard on getting plans in place for next year. It's going to be my best season ever!!