brick911

Re: Northeast Member Biographies

Post by brick911 »

Welcome Steve and Steph!
withalligators

Post by withalligators »

srh001 wrote:hi all,
my name is steve. I live near baltimore. I've been looking for/catching snakes and other herps as long as i can remeber. Snakes are by far my favorite tho. I spend a lot of time out herping. I usually make it out 3 or 4 time a week. I'm currently workin on my B.S. in bio and start grad school next fall. I plan on spending the rest of my life devoted to herpatology, hopefully a professor in the subject someday, but thats still a few years away. If your ever in the general Baltimore area and need someone to go herping with lemme know, im always down for an outing.
Ha! You can begin your lifetime devotion with learning how to spell it!
Sorry dude, there was absolutely no way I could pass that up.
There's good folks in the area.
Cheers,
Alex
FastSnake17

Post by FastSnake17 »

Hello everyone,

my name is Billy and I am somewhat new to the northeast. I was born in Philly and have recently (and reluctantly) returned to my birthplace for surgery to repair a torn ACL which, from what I understand, will require ~ 6 months of physical therapy. I grew up in Virginia, graduated from the University of Florida and worked in North Carolina this past spring and summer so I am sorely missing the southeast at the moment. To keep myself from going insane in the city, I am hoping to get some herping in before the surgery and the arrival of cooler weather...anyone wanna take a trip to the pine barrens :) ? I'll end the intro with some pictures..

Hope to be in the field soon.

brick911

Post by brick911 »

Welcome. That's some all-star pics you put up right there. Good luck with everything, and if you get out I look forward to what you find.
gone herpin

Post by gone herpin »

Hello. My name is Taylor Swanson, I am 18 and live in annapolis maryland. I love things that get my outside. Longboarding, snowboarding, wake boarding, Herping, hiking, fishing, biking, etc. I am also an electrical engineering student at Anne Arundel Community College, who is going to Univeristy of Maryland; college park next year (couldnt afford the tuition at the other places I got into so I am defering for a year from maryland to make some $$$). All my life I have loved catching and releasing amphibians and reptiles. I currently work as an educator at the Echo Hill Outdoor School on the eastern shore of maryland. I basically quit herping in Highschool because it was something "uncool" todo. I no longer care what people think, im a nerd and im damn proud of it! I have alot of goals for the next few years and I hope to accomplish them!
flip3238

Post by flip3238 »

My name is Phil and Im new to this forum. Alot of you guys know me from PAHERP and Ive also posted on the NAHERP database. I have a bachelor's degree from Penn State in Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences and a master's degree from East Stroudsburg University in Biological Sciences. Up til 2003 I was more of a generalist herper, basically looking for anything and everything, but pit vipers were always the cream of the crop for me. The year between Penn State and East Stroudsburg I set out to find a school here in PA that had active herpetologists who had worked with either rattlesnakes or copperheads. Dr. Tom LaDuke at ESU had just finished a genetic study on copperheads with a grad student and my good friend and now co-worker Stan Boder was just finishing his radio telemetry project and thesis on the difference in habitat use in light and dark morph timbers, so ESU seemed perfect. I spent the next 3+ years in the northeast east collecting field data on copperheads. The idea for the thesis was to see why the copperhead cannot live in the northern tier counties of PA where their cousin, the timber rattler, still can be found. Anyone interested can PM me and ill let you know a more detailed reason, but basically on average they prefer warmer temperatures throughout the summer than even timbers and seem to birth a bit later in most cases, making it hard to live in the colder northern tier counties. During my research I obviously ran into alot of timbers as well, and through that and making some good contacts Ive continued working with both timbers and copperheads here in PA and also in NJ. Im from Bucks County PA but now reside in Tioga County PA with my beautiful girlfriend and her daughter. We are expecting our first child together in March!
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Welcome Phil.
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Phil who?
flip3238

Post by flip3238 »

Really Kyle?! I hope youre kidding.....Dunning is my last name for those who dont know me.
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

of course....
herpguy4

Post by herpguy4 »

hey, my name is daniel , im 14 and i live in cockeysville maryland. ive beening herping since i was 8 and have tried to get my parents and sisters interested in the hobby but with little success :D . i do alot of outdoor activities in my free time. i mainly herp around Loch Raven Reservoir, which is right next to my house, but have herped all around the mid atlantic, especially garret county maryland
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Loch Raven is a nice place!
Python Guy

Post by Python Guy »

My name is Tyler Young and I live in Whitehouse Station NJ. I have owned snakes my whole life. My first snake was a 10ft burmese python that my dad had for most of his life. currently right now I have a breeding/party bussiness with my friend. We breed balls, burms, bloods, corns, malies and anything else that we can get our hands on at the local hamburg show in PA. I love reptiles and think that this is the perfect place to learn more about them.
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Thanks for the bio.
kat herp

Post by kat herp »

Hi, I'm Katherine, I'm 18 and live in central Jersey. I've always loved reptiles and wanted to find them and learn about them because I think they're just amazing. I've been part of a local 4-H herpetology club since I was 10 and we go field herping, go to shows, and do presentations about our animals to the public (who are generally morons when it comes to this stuff). I'm an amateur field herper and I always find more things if I go with someone else, but I still love to herp whenever I can. Right now I only own 2 leopard geckos and a Mexican Black Kingsnake, but as soon as I'm out of college and get a place of my own that's going to change :)
bwaterherper

Post by bwaterherper »

kat herp wrote:a Mexican Black Kingsnake
I miss my old pedro

oh well, welcome to the forum katherine
kat herp

Post by kat herp »

bwaterherper wrote:
kat herp wrote:a Mexican Black Kingsnake
I miss my old pedro

oh well, welcome to the forum katherine
Aww, Pedro misses you too :)
brick911

Post by brick911 »

bump
CT_Turpin

Post by CT_Turpin »

Hello everybody, my name is Luis and I reside on the shoreline in CT. I am 27 years old and graduated from the University of Connecticut with a degree in Geography, concentrating on wildlife conservation. I am currently attending Southern Connecticut State University in the Master's program for Elementary Education. Since I was a child, I have always loved reptiles/amphibians, specifically turtles and snakes (although I have a natural fear of them). 5 years ago, I did not even know what species of reptiles we had within our state. With tons of research spending countless hours, through books and the internet, I have learned so much. I can name every herp native to CT, facts/behaviors associated with them.
I extensively got into the field of herping this past year. My 2 favorite herps are the spotted and wood turtles. Most of my findings have come from hit and miss searching, through various fitting habitats of herp species. So far, I have scoured every county in CT except Tolland and Windham counties. This past year, I found 7 spotted turtles and 3 wood turtles in one location in Litchfield County in August! I'm excited for the end of March. God knows how many more I can find at a more favorable time of year at this location. Other than that, I have seen single specimens of spotteds within different towns throughout middle and western CT. Also, I have found garter snakes, black rat snakes, and eastern racers and a few copperheads on a talus hillside on a mountain in New Haven County. I always see countless painters and at a pond near my residence, I have seen a monster snapping turtle, which when I measured had a carapice length of 17 inches (I believe the state record is within an inch of that number). That snapper was tagged btw.
I got a brand new slr camera for Xmas, and so this year, I plan on getting more indepth and taking awesome photos, with a trip to southeastern NY for a Blandings turtle search, along with searching for timber rattlesnakes on a well known mountain habitat in western CT, with I believe to be the most densly populated rattlesnake location. I want to discover more supporting habitats for spotteds and woods.
My goal in having joined the forums is to meet new people who enjoy herping. Eventually, I would like to go on field herps with others. I will show my preferred locations and vice versa, but I am cautious because I imagine people scour these forums, and possibly even join just to gain info on locations of several rare herps. Anyways, any wuestions please send me a pm. Cheers! :beer:
Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen »

I got this one guys. Take it easy.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

I like your enthusiasm Luis. I hope you have checked out the database http://www.naherp.com
bumpylemon

Post by bumpylemon »

hey everyone! I am new here. I havent caught a snake in a few years. when I was 10 i used to catch Storeria occipitomaculata. Ive caught some garter snakes and some water snakes. I am not a herper (yet) I am a professional photographer in millbury mass. I am also the regional rep for NANFA (North American Native Fish Assoc) for Rhode Island and Mass. I love wildlife. Ive caught 90% percent of the fish in this area. Ive been doing mostly bird photographer as of late. I am looking to get out there this spring/summer to take some photos of some snakes. I look forward to posting on this board and getting to know some local people and hopefully get to see some cool herps!!
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

Hi Guys,

I've already posted my bio on the Northeast chapter, but Bob told me to place a small bio here too. Im Justin, 13 years old and an aspiring herpetologist. I've always been fascinated with snakes and salamanders since I was two, and have always wished to get an account on the forum, and now I can. :mrgreen:

I will make sure to post photos when I get a chance on the forum, but I don't have a photobucket account yet :x . My other bio is in the link.
:arrow: http://fieldherpforum.com/forum/viewtop ... 44#p131744

Thanks everyone,

Justin
zwhitman

Post by zwhitman »

Hey everyone. My name is Zach Whitman and my reptile history is about as varied as it gets. Started off “herping” when I was a little kid in Bergen County NJ. Got my first pet snake, a cal king, when I was 8 years old. 20 years later I still have him today! For most of high school I was the manager of Jungle Exotics, a reptile specialty pet shop in Fort Lee and eventually Edgewater NJ. I did my undergrad at the University of Vermont where I majored in animal science. During undergrad I spent time volunteering at the New England Aquarium rehabilitating cold stunned sea turtles. I also worked with Jim Andrews doing surveying for the Vermont Herp Atlas Project. After college I got into vet school and moved out to Fort Collins Colorado. I worked for the forest service for a summer doing wildlife surveys mostly focussing on Goshawks, big horn sheep, and boreal toads. By that point I had over 40 snakes (plus a few geckos, chameleons, and darts). I was producing several hundred offspring per year and I launched my own breeding business, Slithering Creations. In vet school I focussed on exotics at every opportunity and I am a member of the ARAV, AAV, and AAZV. My primary interest is in conservation medicine, dealing with things like chytrid fungus, rana virus, IBD, medical protocols for releasing captive animals into the wild, etc.

During my senior year (last fall) I was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive form of lymphoma. I took a leave of absence, sold off the entire collection :( and moved back to Jersey to be with my family and receive treatment. After chemo and radiation, I had a bone marrow transplant in January. My immune system is pretty shot and my docs don't know yet if it will ever be safe for me to return to vet school where I am constantly exposed to sick animals. We will just have to wait and see.

In the mean time I am focussing on recovering, and enjoying every day I have. To me that means getting outside with my wife and my dogs, and finding reptiles. I really like finding counties with no NAFHA records, and then getting on google earth before heading out someplace new to see what I can find. Anyone who is in the Northern NJ area and wants to meet up, just hit me up any time. :beer:

Other things I love are skiing, biking, photography, fast cars (any suby drivers out there?)... and long walks on the beach lol.

OK this is now way to long... but thats me... thanks FHF for this great community!
bwaterherper

Post by bwaterherper »

zwhitman wrote: I really like finding counties with no NAFHA records, and then getting on google earth before heading out someplace new to see what I can find. Anyone who is in the Northern NJ area and wants to meet up, just hit me up any time. :beer:

Hell yeah
Kari Post

Post by Kari Post »

bwaterherper wrote:
zwhitman wrote: I really like finding counties with no NAFHA records, and then getting on google earth before heading out someplace new to see what I can find. Anyone who is in the Northern NJ area and wants to meet up, just hit me up any time. :beer:

Hell yeah

Zach, help Bergen County out a bit will ya?
zwhitman

Post by zwhitman »

I'm working on it man! Last week the county had 3 records. Go check it now!
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

Welcome to the family.
dragoncjo

Post by dragoncjo »

zwhitman wrote:Hey everyone. My name is Zach Whitman and my reptile history is about as varied as it gets. Started off “herping” when I was a little kid in Bergen County NJ. Got my first pet snake, a cal king, when I was 8 years old. 20 years later I still have him today! For most of high school I was the manager of Jungle Exotics, a reptile specialty pet shop in Fort Lee and eventually Edgewater NJ. I did my undergrad at the University of Vermont where I majored in animal science. During undergrad I spent time volunteering at the New England Aquarium rehabilitating cold stunned sea turtles. I also worked with Jim Andrews doing surveying for the Vermont Herp Atlas Project. After college I got into vet school and moved out to Fort Collins Colorado. I worked for the forest service for a summer doing wildlife surveys mostly focussing on Goshawks, big horn sheep, and boreal toads. By that point I had over 40 snakes (plus a few geckos, chameleons, and darts). I was producing several hundred offspring per year and I launched my own breeding business, Slithering Creations. In vet school I focussed on exotics at every opportunity and I am a member of the ARAV, AAV, and AAZV. My primary interest is in conservation medicine, dealing with things like chytrid fungus, rana virus, IBD, medical protocols for releasing captive animals into the wild, etc.

During my senior year (last fall) I was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive form of lymphoma. I took a leave of absence, sold off the entire collection :( and moved back to Jersey to be with my family and receive treatment. After chemo and radiation, I had a bone marrow transplant in January. My immune system is pretty shot and my docs don't know yet if it will ever be safe for me to return to vet school where I am constantly exposed to sick animals. We will just have to wait and see.

In the mean time I am focussing on recovering, and enjoying every day I have. To me that means getting outside with my wife and my dogs, and finding reptiles. I really like finding counties with no NAFHA records, and then getting on google earth before heading out someplace new to see what I can find. Anyone who is in the Northern NJ area and wants to meet up, just hit me up any time. :beer:

Other things I love are skiing, biking, photography, fast cars (any suby drivers out there?)... and long walks on the beach lol.

OK this is now way to long... but thats me... thanks FHF for this great community!
Zach which you the best with your treatments for lymphoma. I'm now 11 years out from surviving lymphoma and I've had my ups and downs and ongoing health issues, but the one thing that has always provided relaxation is the woods and the outdoors. Good Luck with everything.
zwhitman

Post by zwhitman »

Thanks dragon
daveb79

Post by daveb79 »

Just registered on here and on naherp. My name's Dave and I'm an old man about to turn 33. Born and raised in NJ, my parents live in Morris County so I know a few nooks and crannies around there. I'm living in Bergen County with my better half now, and I commute to work in Rockland County NY.

I don't have much in-depth knowledge of herps, but I have somewhat of a grasp of all local species and some basic habitat requirements. I do a lot of nature photography in general when I do get outside. Favorite locales are Del Water Gap, Forsythe, Troy Meadows, as well as anywhere else I can escape civilization. Usually lug around telephoto, wide, and macro lens and try to photograph whatever I come across. Lately I've been a shooting a ton of Red-backs... cause that's all I'm finding, hah!

I'm on flickr here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidraymond/
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Welcome Dave... be sure to read the posts up top for tips and protocol.
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

Welcome
roosters977

Post by roosters977 »

Hello, My name is Clayton, I'm in Camp Hill Pennsylvania and have been herping since I was 3 or 4 (I'm 15, so not too long haha) I have been in Pennsylvania for 2 years now, I moved from Virginia and before that Washington. My dad is Army so I've been all over. I love fly fishing and herping. My two favorite hobby's. Some of my earliest memories were fly fishing the Sacramento river with my dad then going "snake hunting" I just started herping here in Pennsylvania and have tried a few spots, nothing really special yet. I cant drive so my range is like 5-25 miles away. I have found a couple small areas that are OK. I would love to get together sometime with someone to go herping, the only problem is the fact I am so young and cannot drive. But my mom is pretty allowing and will take me places. Thanks, hope to see you all in the future!
melissaisdown

Post by melissaisdown »

Hello all. I'm new to herping and just registered on here today. I'm in southwestern Pennsylvania, right between Pittsburgh and West Virginia. Herping is becoming a kind of side effect hobby for me. I run often and all year round-- cross county mostly and I stumble upon snakes and toads and salamanders and I've become more and more fascinated and always take pictures (usually with my phone, it's hard to run with pro photography equipment). But I love learning more and am hoping to pick up some advice and suggestions and maybe a few friends on here. This is definitely an interest I'm falling more and more into and just perusing this website is helping to encourage it.
Larry Clarfeld

Post by Larry Clarfeld »

Hello fellow herp-enthusiasts,

I am a current graduate student studying conservation biology in New Hampshire (and convinced to join this forum by fellow classmate Kari Post). When not in school, I work as an environmental educator on a variety of projects, including many related to birds, reptiles, and amphibians. As part of my job, I coordinate an Amphibian Monitoring Program dedicated to educating folks around central Vermont about the spring migration and training them to monitor roadways.

I look forward to following the herpetological adventures of those on the forum, and sharing some of my own,

Cheers,
- Larry

kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Welcome Clayton, Melissa and Larry!
brick911

Post by brick911 »

Wow... Lots of new members. Welcome everyone!
intermedius

Post by intermedius »

Nice to see many nice and wonderful new herpers added to the forum. Welcome to the family guys!

Justin
zwhitman

Post by zwhitman »

Welcome to the forum Larry. I had a ton of fun helping at amphibian crossings with you guys when I was at UVM. I am sure you will find a lot of eager people to help out here as well.
VinnyButch

Post by VinnyButch »

Hi everyone, I sort of stumbled upon this site and it's rapidly becoming a favorite. My name is Vinny and I started herping in 1966, in Brooklyn, NY. Now THAT'S a tough place to find snakes! But I did, much to the disappointment of my parents. They're still waiting for me to grow up and stop turning over rocks. lol
Now I live in Middletown, NJ (Monmouth Cty) and can literally go herping in my backyard. Of course, that's too easy, so I head out to PA or the Pine Barrens as often as I can. I love the fact that even on the unluckiest of days, when you don't see a single snake, there is always so much to enjoy while out and about in nature.
I've got two grandsons that are moving to NJ from NC with their parents soon. I can't wait to indoctrinate them into the world of herping.

If anyone wants to do a little herping, just drop me a line. A co-herper (or two) is always a great thing.

Vinny
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

Welcome Vinny.
jamesh

Post by jamesh »

i grew up in west Texas and have had experiences with wildlife my whole life. i now live in CT and though the variety and abundance of herps is not even near what it is in Texas, i still enjoy finding what i can and photographing them. i enjoy following animals around as they do what they do. i am known for my patience. i have been known to spend a couple hours sitting still at the edge of a pond just waiting for a close up of a snake or turtle (birds too). Image
MdHerpSearch

Post by MdHerpSearch »

New member here! My name is Kevin and I have been herping for more years than I can remember. I decided at 28 that I needed a change of career (Army, then carpenter) and decided to go to school for Herpetology. In the early 70's my Father was one of the original members of my states herp society and he worked at the Baltimore Zoo's reptile house. I grew up with herps and it just seemed like the right career path to follow in his footsteps. I have since worked in three parks, both in research, radio telemetry, and public education. In my spare time I herp every county in my state (Md) for the MARA atlas project.
spinifer

Post by spinifer »

Welcome, Kevin. What county do you live in?
MdHerpSearch

Post by MdHerpSearch »

I live in Anne Arundle but I herp every county except Garret. I have been spending a lot of time lately in Summerset and Dorchester counties targeting a few specific herps. I'll post pics if I get them.
kyle loucks

Post by kyle loucks »

There are several of us on the MARA project here...
MdHerpSearch

Post by MdHerpSearch »

kyle loucks wrote:There are several of us on the MARA project here...
Thats great, I'm always looking for new people to herp with. Is there any kind of protocol for getting meets together?
dsnakeman13

Post by dsnakeman13 »

Hi, Im Daniel from NJ. Ive been into herpetology and such since kindergarden, and really got into field herping in the past 4 or 5 years. I have a corn snake and two red-earred sliders, along with other various species I catch for a day then release the next where I found the animal. Ive been searching for "hot" herps for a few years now, and I have yet to find my first. NJ is not know for its venomous snakes. Im totally new to the forum, so i hope its useful, and fun. :mrgreen:
dragoncjo

Post by dragoncjo »

Welcome to the forum.

Hoping to educate, i would suggest to not 'hold' a species for a day and then release later. This experience can disrupt natural behavior, stress the creature too. Also in NJ it would be illegal to hold a species or remove it from the field. It would be considered take and would put yourself in a sticky spot if caught. Again just trying to educate.