new herp oriented organization in New York City needs help

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

BronxHerper

new herp oriented organization in New York City needs help

Post by BronxHerper »

Hey guys,

I apologize for my absence from the forum this season - i was bitten by a timber and suffered from anaphylaxis, which had me out of commission for months. I'll post a pic of the scar soon. Anyway, such a near death experience is life changing, and now I'm starting a new company/ organization in New York City, devoted to educating people about herps, as well as studying and protecting native herp species. I know many of you on this forum are involved in organizations with similar intentions, and was wondering if you could help me out and give me some advice/ ideas on a few things. I'm looking to get some sort of grant or funding to help get the project further off the ground, does anybody know of any educational oriented grants that I'd be able to apply for? I'm also looking for grants for this upcoming season's research, as well as some volunteers/ interns to help out with field work. How would you recommend getting people together to help with field work?

Also, anybody with any records regarding herp distribution in the New York City area, especially historical information, please pm me as this will be a big help.

Any suggestions or advice on getting this project started is greatly appreciated. Stay tuned for more New York City posts this upcoming season!

-Erik Zeidler
ezreptileshows.com
klawnskale

Re: new herp oriented organization in New York City needs he

Post by klawnskale »

Good grief, Erik. So glad to hear you've recovered. I really enjoyed reading your posts on your snapping turtle research in the Bronx and Westchester County. I am originally from NYC, but haven't lived there in years (westcoaster now), but if I were more geographically accessible to you, I would love to help you out. Have you inquired at the American Museum of Natural History's Herpetology Department for info? i believe the Curator is David Kazirian? I know he's off traveling alot to different countries, but if you can get a hold of him, maybe he can guide you in the right direction. He's a really nice guy. You may want to also contact Dr. Harry Green. He lives up in Ithaca and may have some good leads.