A few recent NV pics. and a couple pre crash shots to boot.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jason Hull

A few recent NV pics. and a couple pre crash shots to boot.

Post by Jason Hull »

These are a handful of photos of some common snakes that I happened to come across this year in northern Nevada. However, the last four are photos from years past.
I have not been very active on The Forum since the crash so I thought I'd put something up and get back into it.
There's not much in this post as I spent most of my year searching for snakes in CA.. I really did not take many photos in NV at all during 2011.

One snake I can always depend on running into no matter how little I look is P.c.deserticola.

Another is C.o.lutosus.
Most of my time spent herping in Nevada is focused around observing these in different situations.
I always prefer the situation that I find them in as apossed to one that is altered by myself or another.

Drove up on this one crossing the road at night.
The only time I will usually hook, handle, or pose a crote is when I cross it on the move away from it's winter digs.

I may not get the most action packed photos but I don't walk away wondering if I screwed something up.

The social interaction that takes place with lutosus is a very cool thing to observe IMO.

Come mid to late fall my son starts hitting me up to go out and sample the ugly side of life.
I don't really understand the whole spider thing but I am building a tolerance considering both of my boys love them.
My camera died that day and I had to bust out the iphone for these next two.

This hatchling Coachwhip was roaming the spider infested sagebrush.

My friend and his son were deer hunting up north and found this melanistic T.e.vagrans. I thought the black head and eyes were pretty cool.

Below are photos of a hatchling and of an adult Yellow Bellied Racer.
Crazy to see how much these snakes change in appearance as time go's on.

Theses next photos are two that I had posted a couple years back. Both animals were seen on a visit to the east side of the state.

Hope everyone had a good season.

Cheers,

Jason Hull
Zach_Lim

Re: A few recent NV pics. and a couple pre crash shots to bo

Post by Zach_Lim »

Pyro pic is amazing! That habitat is stunning
Carl Brune

Post by Carl Brune »

Nice stuff, thanks for posting.
MHollanders

Post by MHollanders »

I don't see a lot of stuff from Nevada. Thanks for posting. There are some nice pics in there.
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Great photos Jason. I agree with your philosophy totally. Can't wait to see the shots you get with a new camera.
Jason Hull

Post by Jason Hull »

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Zach - Thanks. That side of the state has some great looking habitat for pyros.

Carl - Thanks man.

MH - Thanks. I know there are others around that have some great photos of rarely seen NV animals. It would be cool to see more posts from the state.
If your interested you can see a better variety here - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1366. Maybe?

B - Thanks man. I'll have that sucker dialed in by the new year ready for Spring.

Take it easy, Jason
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

Great post Jason. I love the shot of the melanistic elegans and your son with the tarantula.

Hopefully we can meet up this year in the field.